Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 PM

24 posts, read 83,732 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where there are any Roman Catholic Churches close to The Hideout? We took a drive into Honesdale and I only saw St. Mary Magdelan - are there any others? Thanks all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 10:19 PM

253 posts, read 996,754 times
Default RC Churches

THere's 2 that I know of. Close by is St. Mary's in the Ledgedale area off Goosepond Road. It's a quaint small church, and a satellite church from St. Thomas Moore in Lake Ariel. St. Thomas Moore is much large and was just renovated several years ago, very modern. THere may be others close by, but from the Hideout, it should take about 15 minutes to get to St. Mary's. Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 AM

910 posts, read 2,992,007 times
Queen of Peace in Hawley I think is the name of another one, and there's also St Anthonys in Newfoundland. Next time you come through the area grab an Our Town publication, all the area churches are listed in the middle pages!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:29 PM

24 posts, read 83,732 times
Thank you both for the info! I really appreciate it!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:20 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
I live in The Hideout. If you live closer to the front in the front section off of Rt. 590, then St. Mary's would be closer. If you live in the back, St. Thomas would be close, but actually, not by much. Both churches have the same pastor and their mass schedules are different which could be who people choose one or the other. Also, at one point the religious education classes (held in the parish center right next door to St. Thomas) for the older grades were on Sunday and were over right before 11:00 am mass, making it easy to just attend mass at St. Thomas when you picked up your children.

I have to be honest...I'm a little dissappointed in this church. While they do offer CCD classes to children and have a huge amount of kids in the program..they have continually over the last 15 yrs had a very small youth group for those children wishing to continue exploring their faith after confirmation. I have volunteered numerous times for this program and have never been called. Aside from the kids having their class, they do nothing 'fun' with them or for them. I have tried numerous times to get involved in different church activites and have never been called. They have no bingos, no pot-luck Sunday dinners, no pancakes breakfasts, no social gatherings at all really. Maybe 1 a yr. if that. They have the 'no fund raiser' fund raiser every year. Bascially, just give us whatever you would have spent on bingo or bazaars or other such things. If you enjoy just going to church and leaving, then this is the parish for you. If you are interested in fellowship with your fellow parishoners, you won't find any. And don't make suggestions...they like things just the way they are.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I live in The Hideout. If you live closer to the front in the front section off of Rt. 590, then St. Mary's would be closer. If you live in the back, St. Thomas would be close, but actually, not by much. Both churches have the same pastor and their mass schedules are different which could be who people choose one or the other. Also, at one point the religious education classes (held in the parish center right next door to St. Thomas) for the older grades were on Sunday and were over right before 11:00 am mass, making it easy to just attend mass at St. Thomas when you picked up your children.

I have to be honest...I'm a little dissappointed in this church. While they do offer CCD classes to children and have a huge amount of kids in the program..they have continually over the last 15 yrs had a very small youth group for those children wishing to continue exploring their faith after confirmation. I have volunteered numerous times for this program and have never been called. Aside from the kids having their class, they do nothing 'fun' with them or for them. I have tried numerous times to get involved in different church activites and have never been called. They have no bingos, no pot-luck Sunday dinners, no pancakes breakfasts, no social gatherings at all really. Maybe 1 a yr. if that. They have the 'no fund raiser' fund raiser every year. Bascially, just give us whatever you would have spent on bingo or bazaars or other such things. If you enjoy just going to church and leaving, then this is the parish for you. If you are interested in fellowship with your fellow parishoners, you won't find any. And don't make suggestions...they like things just the way they are.
I attended St. Thomas More as a child. At that time, we walked over to the church from school once a week and it was called "religious release time." The Protestant kids also went to one of the local churches. Obviously, that is no longer allowed. When I had my first child, I wanted her to go to the same church I went to, so she attended CCD (on Saturday mornings at that time) until she received First Holy Communion. Then, due to more kids and convenience, we decided to switch to St. Anthony's in Newfoundland.

I also noticed the attitude at St. Thomas that any suggestions were ignored and that the people running the religious ed. program were not open to any other opinions or changes. I also tried to volunteer, but it appeared that the same people did everything and pretty much didn't want anyone else messing up their plans. The CCD program was run like a prison camp. My husband once had to pick our daughter up early, and was actually challenged by the RE Director and told that she could not leave and wouldn't tell him which classroom she was in. As you can imagine, that did not go over well with my husband, who basically just started knocking on doors and checking each room until he found the one she was in! That was probably the last time he picked her up, LOL!

I am happy with the switch to St. Anthony's. I think it's a bit smaller, but I like that CCD is on Sunday, right before Mass. They also put a big emphasis on making sure the kids attend regularly, but are not nearly as heavy handed about it. They put on a lovely service at Christmastime called "Word and Carol". All the kids from CCD can participate, everyone donates platters of cookies for afterward, and they have Santa for the kids. They do have other activities for adults and kids throughout the year, but it's really up to the family as to how much or little you want to participate.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,583 times
Default Released Time Is Still "Allowed"

Quote:
Obviously, that is no longer allowed.
It most certainly is allowed - Wayne Pike Child Evangelism Fellowship conducts religious released time classes all over Wayne and Pike County - the children are transported by bus to a sponsoring church or other location, and then brought back to school for dismissal.

Individual churches may have stopped holding CCD or released time classes, but it is certainly "allowed."

Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
It most certainly is allowed - Wayne Pike Child Evangelism Fellowship conducts religious released time classes all over Wayne and Pike County - the children are transported by bus to a sponsoring church or other location, and then brought back to school for dismissal.

Individual churches may have stopped holding CCD or released time classes, but it is certainly "allowed."

Maybe I should have elaborated: religious release is not allowed in PUBLIC schools.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Maybe I should have elaborated: religious release is not allowed in PUBLIC schools.
I knew what you meant.

Wallenpaupack, Western Wayne, Wayne Highlands, and Delaware Valley are all PIBLIC schools. All of them allow children to go to the released time classes. I taught one in Wallenpaupack for years.

It is a constitutional right. For futher reading:

Bible Education @ ReleasedTime.org: :Legality

Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times
Why wouldn't those churches just schedule these classes for after-school time? Why do they find it necessary to take kids away from their school work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania