Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 PM

58 posts, read 83,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTownDude View Post
brb moving to Bismarck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 AM

65 posts, read 117,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentsailing View Post

I also do not like to hear of the control the oil companies have.
They have no more control than, say, unions in Michigan. If the oil industry did control the flow of money then they should do a better job bringing some of it back to the Bakken. A dollar out, a little over a dime in. The rest goes to subsidize property taxes in far flung places like Grand Forks and Fargo.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:45 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,529 times
Quote:
I also do not like to hear of the control the oil companies have. Having family in the area, I have heard many sad stories of how negatively this boom has effected lifelong residents.
The oil companies have tried to get the extraction tax down and they failed.

If anyone is in control, it is the people who leased their mineral rights. They don't have to lease them, but nearly 100% of them did.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,155 times
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. We decided to turn down the job and stay where we are! It was hard to choose as it was a rare opportunity to be closer to family again. But we feel good about the decision. It was what was best for us!
Cheers!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Quote:
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. We decided to turn down the job and stay where we are! It was hard to choose as it was a rare opportunity to be closer to family again. But we feel good about the decision. It was what was best for us!
Cheers!
thanks for the update. glad you went with your heart and are comfortable with the decision.

Dan

Old 07-06-2014, 12:33 PM

17 posts, read 28,074 times
Default You should know that ND is very religiously conservative

I'm so glad/relieved for you that you're staying in WA. : ) I am very familiar with WA as I lived there for several years. ND is drastically different from WA politically, socially and religiously. I think this has a lot to do with the conservative religiosity in ND and especially in Bismarck. Conservative religiosity permeates everything out here.

Another reader stated that the oil companies instead of state employees are running Bismarck (Bismarck is the capital of ND). This seems possible but I think it's also fair to say that all the churches in ND run the state, especially Catholic organizations since they are the main religion here. For instance, employers here including the state of ND exclude all forms of prescription birth control, so Hobby Lobby ironically is more progressive than the state of ND in providing basic health care coverage to its female employees. Also, state lawmakers are constantly trying to criminalize abortion. People here are real "high and mighty" about being "pro-life" too - why don't they do more then for children after the age of 5? Over the past couple of years there's been a slew of measures to criminalize abortion and there's a "personhood" measure on the ballot this November.

Trust me, when your kids are adults they'll appreciate you stayed in WA for many reasons - if they go to a 4-year college, for instance, they'll appreciate the fact that they can get in-state tuition at a university like the University of Washington where academic freedom truly exists. In ND professors appear to be afraid to advocate beyond the borders of their campus.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestNative View Post

Trust me, when your kids are adults they'll appreciate you stayed in WA for many reasons - if they go to a 4-year college, for instance, they'll appreciate the fact that they can get in-state tuition at a university like the University of Washington where academic freedom truly exists. In ND professors appear to be afraid to advocate beyond the borders of their campus.
At the U of Washington and Seattle, the drug culture runs things so there's free sex and abortion. Kids love the promiscuity associated with the druggies.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestNative View Post
Also, state lawmakers are constantly trying to criminalize abortion. People here are real "high and mighty" about being "pro-life" too - why don't they do more then for children after the age of 5? Over the past couple of years there's been a slew of measures to criminalize abortion and there's a "personhood" measure on the ballot this November.
The state has one small abortion clinic a couple hundred feet from the state's border, but it sure does generate a lot of hullabaloo and millions of dollars probably end up getting wasted on it in the form of anti-abortion legislation and court fights. I often wonder if the Red River Women's Clinic would be better served by simply moving an 1/8 of a mile east (across the river and into Minnesota) and be done with it.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
At the U of Washington and Seattle, the drug culture runs things so there's free sex and abortion. Kids love the promiscuity associated with the druggies.
I attended the University of Washington - proud of it by the way - and nope, you're wrong. There's no drug culture there.

Yes, women do not have to fight religious conservative zealots to have access to birth control and access to abortion in the state of Washington.

I have to say though, I'm pretty impressed by the Catholics who basically run Bismarck. Amazingly, all of the married couples have only 2 to 4 kids yet they oppose using birth control. So, how do they only have two to four kids per family?...totally statistically impossible.

Funny you should mention drugs though. Isn't that currently a significant problem along with human trafficking in the Williston/oil counties area? The state has all this money and yet they - state lawmakers - don't want to spend it even on fighting human trafficking. Um, sounds "pro-life" to me. Did you know that the states with the most restrictive abortion laws also do the least for children who are low-income? Yep, it's their fault they are poor. I'm always interested in hearing the arguments from wealthy white "Christians" who have it so hard in this country.

The reason you posted this is because you're very defensive about the backwards culture in this state which causes people with any thinking capacity to challenge the social and economic repressiveness in this state and has caused ND to lose younger generations.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
The state has one small abortion clinic a couple hundred feet from the state's border, but it sure does generate a lot of hullabaloo and millions of dollars probably end up getting wasted on it in the form of anti-abortion legislation and court fights. I often wonder if the Red River Women's Clinic would be better served by simply moving an 1/8 of a mile east (across the river and into Minnesota) and be done with it.
The reason why there's only one abortion clinic and it is located in Fargo, which of course is near the boarder of Minnesota, is that the state legislature has essentially banned Planned Parenthood from the state and in the case of Bismarck, located in the middle of the state, is the state capital, so you're not going to find an abortion provider there. A couple of years ago NDSU research on comprehensive sex education was put into jeopardy because of the state's obsession with controlling women's bodies and even men's. And don't say it is just about abortion. It's not.

ND women wouldn't be better served because women who happen to be residents of ND shouldn't have to travel several hours within their own state yet alone another state even by an additional 1/8 of a mile to have control over their bodies.

State lawmakers are the ones who are choosing to spend tax payer money on legislation and court battles to criminalize abortion - not everyday women. If you don't want to have an abortion, then don't, but don't hang your deal on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota