Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 01:16 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Charlotte folks go to both the Carolina's beaches anyway, unlike central and Eastern NC which don't go to SC ever at all.
BS. Speaking as someone that grew up in ENC, I can tell you firsthand that plenty of people in ENC go to SC, primarily Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 02:09 PM

Toyota has confirmed the battery plant location at the Greensboro-Randolph megasite. I think it's a safe bet that I-685 was a factor during negotiations, hence it's inclusion in the infrastructure bill.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...battery-plant/

https://governor.nc.gov/news/press-r...ry-plant-north

Old 12-06-2021, 02:15 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Toyota has confirmed the battery plant location at the Greensboro-Randolph megasite. I think it's a safe bet that I-685 was a factor during negotiations, hence it's inclusion in the infrastructure bill.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...battery-plant/

https://governor.nc.gov/news/press-r...ry-plant-north
During today's announcement, Toyota's President of North American Operations alluded to the possibility that this is just the beginning of Toyota's investment in North Carolina. I wonder if Toyota is already looking at other NC sites for additional projects, perhaps also along I-685 (Moncure?).

Old 12-06-2021, 02:44 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Another Map
Is that the final map? Any chance it gets rerouted further south to Fayetteville instead of Dunn? That is after all a 2 lane road through Harnett county, and with unfettered sprawl there why on earth should we further encourage sprawl in that county?

Old 12-06-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Is that the final map? Any chance it gets rerouted further south to Fayetteville instead of Dunn? That is after all a 2 lane road through Harnett county, and with unfettered sprawl there why on earth should we further encourage sprawl in that county?
Practically zero chance, given that the routing was Congressionally mandated, rather than NCDOT simply asking FHWA for it become a future interstate (like they did with I-587). Sending it down NC-87 to Fayetteville would require Congress to change the amendment in the infrastructure bill, and I don't see that happening. NCDOT can build new alignments/bypasses along the I-685 corridor where needed as long as it sticks close to US-421.

I don't think NCDOT really wanted I-685 to begin with. Back in 2017 when the interstate was first proposed by the locals, it didn't get anywhere with NCDOT, likely due to the cost and work that would be needed for upgrading the corridor to interstate standards, as well as needs elsewhere in the state. I honestly don't think I-685 would've happened if it wasn't for Toyota.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:03 PM

Maybe we can get a huge corporation promising thousands of job to get US-64 and US-74 made into freeways statewide or nearly statewide .

Old 12-06-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Maybe we can get a huge corporation promising thousands of job to get US-64 and US-74 made into freeways statewide or nearly statewide .
I almost think your baiting me lol. Hell nah brother . No need for it , environmental costs are not worth it .

Old 12-06-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Practically zero chance, given that the routing was Congressionally mandated, rather than NCDOT simply asking FHWA for it become a future interstate (like they did with I-587). Sending it down NC-87 to Fayetteville would require Congress to change the amendment in the infrastructure bill, and I don't see that happening. NCDOT can build new alignments/bypasses along the I-685 corridor where needed as long as it sticks close to US-421.

I don't think NCDOT really wanted I-685 to begin with. Back in 2017 when the interstate was first proposed by the locals, it didn't get anywhere with NCDOT, likely due to the cost and work that would be needed for upgrading the corridor to interstate standards, as well as needs elsewhere in the state. I honestly don't think I-685 would've happened if it wasn't for Toyota.
Who added the I-685 deal to the package ? That’s really interesting , it all sounds so corrupt to me .

Old 12-06-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Who added the I-685 deal to the package ? That’s really interesting , it all sounds so corrupt to me .
Tillis and Burr.

https://www.tarpo.org/2021/11/bipart...carolina-core/

Quote:
Instrumental to the inclusion of this language in the federal infrastructure legislation were U.S. Senators Richard Burr and Thom Tillis. This legislation marks important progress, listing U.S. 421 from the interchange with Interstate Route 85 in Greensboro to the interchange with Interstate Route 95 in Dunn as a “High Priority Corridor.” This measure will allow the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) to request a future interstate designation through the Federal Highway Administration and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. If approved, NCDOT will then place signs notifying the public that I-685 is a future interstate corridor.
Some companies won't locate to an area that doesn't have interstate access nearby, which is why I strongly suspect that I-685 was a deal struck between the state and Toyota, and would easily explain why Tillis and Burr crammed I-685 into the infrastructure bill. The Greensboro-Randolph megasite where Toyota is going is right next to US-421, which would put I-685 right at their doorstep.

I also suspect the reason I-685 is going straight to I-95 near Dunn instead of going down NC-87 to Fayetteville is that Toyota might've wanted a straight shot to I-95. Of course, avoiding Fort Bragg may have played a part as well.

Last edited by LM117; 12-06-2021 at 06:02 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I almost think your baiting me lol. Hell nah brother . No need for it , environmental costs are not worth it .
Environmental costs? Those corridors already have four lane roads going through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina