Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 06:49 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Actually, what's particularly interesting to me is the fact that the national protection expired years ago.

As for me, I love cash.

New N.Y. Law Mandates More Transparency in Credit Card Surcharges
The state law, which goes into effect Sunday, requires businesses to include any surcharges in the prices listed for the products or services they sell.

The law, signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul in December, also prevents businesses from imposing more in credit card surcharges than what they are charged by processing companies. Businesses can choose either to solely display the higher credit card price for the products or services they sell or to list both the credit card price and the lower cash price for the items. The new disclosure requirements will “ensure individuals can trust that their purchases will not result in surprise surcharges,” Ms. Hochul said in a statement this week.
A national law prohibiting merchants from charging consumers extra for credit card purchases expired four decades ago. Since then, many businesses have come to rely on so-called convenience fees as a way to offset what they are charged by credit card processing companies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/10/n...urcharges.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 06:59 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Eventually they will stop accepting credit cards all together to avoid issues placing a worse burden on families.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:12 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Plain and Simple ....................USe Money.

Wimpey's Classic "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"
no longer carries weight.

Be it Silver coins or Gold Bars. Money on the spot.

Cash is and will always be King!

Old 02-19-2024, 03:37 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
hell with cash … with thousands of dollars a year in rebate from my cards i don’t use cash unless i have no other choice .

there are many responsible user of credit cards out there who do the same ….cash is trash and gives us nothing back .

if someone offered you 2 to 7% back on as many bills as you could , you wouldn’t take it ?

Old 02-19-2024, 04:35 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
hell with cash … with thousands of dollars a year in rebate from my cards i don’t use cash unless i have no other choice .

there are many responsible user of credit cards out there who do the same ….cash is trash and gives us nothing back .

if someone offered you 2 to 7% back on as many bills as you could , you wouldn’t take it ?

It all depends on the merchant,merchandise,amount of transaction, and amount of visibility all within legal guidelines.

You can get back 7% on a documented purchase where I can negotiate and leverage
a better price with a carefully negotiated cash purchase.

If you are referring to "Cash is trash" and its direct association with the Federal Reserve
as opposed to state chartered banks issuing their own bank notes prior to 1874 that is a
very interesting topic of discussion.

For now, I will continue to teach young Americans at cash registers how to count
by handing them a good old greenback.

Best wishes.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It all depends on the merchant,merchandise,amount of transaction, and amount of visibility all within legal guidelines.

You can get back 7% on a documented purchase where I can negotiate and leverage
a better price with a carefully negotiated cash purchase.

If you are referring to "Cash is trash" and its direct association with the Federal Reserve
as opposed to state chartered banks issuing their own bank notes prior to 1874 that is a
very interesting topic of discussion.

For now, I will continue to teach young Americans at cash registers how to count
by handing them a good old greenback.

Best wishes.
i can usually negotiate a price regardless because most stores don’t know how you are paying in advance.

even when i bought my car , the dealer had no idea i was going to put as much as i could on the lexus credit card which offered me 5% back .

the super market is the price …we get 7-1/2% back on 200 bucks a week minimum on groceries

we eat out or bring in a lot …there is no negotiation…we get 4-1/2% back

most bills that go on our cards are non negotiable…

so cash offers nothing most of the time since what you pay is not negotiable or if it is they don’t know in advance how you are paying .

usually it’s going to be a mom and pop store that won’t charge you sales tax if you pay cash since they will likely commit some kind of tax fraud other wise why would they give you back anything more then the credit card fee as a discount.

they wouldn’t , so there has to be a reason they want the cash and not the card since the card fee is the only savings.

we got back about thousands last year in rebates on the cards

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-19-2024 at 04:58 AM..

Old 02-19-2024, 05:04 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
This should have been done a long time ago so consumers knew in advance that if they pay with a credit card there is an extra charge.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:06 AM

many take out places simply hung up a sign that there was a 3 or 4% surcharge at the register.

most places are not printing all new menus with two sets of prices .

they will likely either suspend the surcharges or just have new menus printed, raise the prices to everyone and then have no surcharge

Old 02-19-2024, 08:23 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I don't like using cash anymore myself, I try to have as much cashless transactions as possible

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2024, 08:30 AM

we went with the premium cards like chase sapphire reserve and sapphire preferred .

they let us take advantage of all the deals and 5% categories on the free chase cards .

then we transfer them to the chase sapphire reserve where they get another 50% boost and we use them to take long weekends or travel .

i took advantage of taking the chase sapphire reserve when i did and got 100,000 points .

i then sent my wife a link to get a chase sapphire preferred which is a much cheaper card .

she got 100,000 points too for taking it plus i got another 20,000 for referring her .

we then took her points , transferred them to my sapphire reserve , where they got a 50% boost .

we had fabulous trips we took for free .

and that didn’t include all the other points we got , they paid for my tsa precheck , we got a 300 travel credit back on my card and a 50 dollar hotel credit on hers .

the amount of points one can get today with premium cards is insane. we usually get back 2x in points what they cost.

and we buy nothing we wouldn’t have bought just because it goes on the cards … no balances carried ever.

so i want to thank all of those who don’t use credit cards for points but pay the prices at stores that reflect the use of cards but don’t share in the bounty.

it makes it more lucrative for everyone else who does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: