Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 07:04 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
So please tell me about the Target shopping center on East 117th Street. How is the crime? Is it safe? I ask because a friend of mine is looking at the Mount Sinai kidney dialysis clinic in that shopping center to go to there a couple of times a week. That is Mount Sinai's only location for kidney dialysis on an outpatient basis. I find it quite odd that they located it there, and not on their main hospital campus on 96th Street, or in a more central location in Manhattan with better public transportation.
The neighborhood is East Harlem and safety varies block by block. The shopping center itself I would think is fine, but the issue is organized theft. It is happening across various Target locations, even in safe neighborhoods, but apparently this particular location was especially hit hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 07:26 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Bonus round points...

Who remembers what was on that Target site before it was built?

https://ltvsquad.com/2002/10/19/wash...ory-harlem-ny/

Old 09-28-2023, 07:34 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,899,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Bonus round points...

Who remembers what was on that Target site before it was built?

https://ltvsquad.com/2002/10/19/wash...ory-harlem-ny/
abandoned for years. the factory was rundown and not in use. no Dominos Sugar

Old 09-29-2023, 01:16 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Dozens of jobs down the drain. What a shame.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:15 AM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Dozens of jobs down the drain. What a shame.
That's the result of scholarly "work" on "mass incarceration."

Old 09-29-2023, 09:37 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLucian View Post
Target supported BLM. Their constituents paid them back.
Stereotypes are rooted in reality. And Black people continue to wonder why security guards follow them around stores ( often even other Black security guards/employees).

Old 09-29-2023, 10:40 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Whomever keeps repeating the myth that theft losses are insured....they're not.

Additionally, assaults on employees and customers do cost the stores money, maybe more than the thefts.

I've seen this conversation in various forums and the problem is that many just don't want to admit that changes to prosecution and policing has come with some big negatives so then we hear excuses. The sad part is that the most impacted are the poorest folks.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:54 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Failures by leadership to condemn and lack of real policies to address crime. The end result will be that poor folks have to pay high prices to buy from local bodegas that will thrive again. Big box stores will retreat from poor areas.

Retail desert is spreading.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:44 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Stereotypes are rooted in reality. And Black people continue to wonder why security guards follow them around stores (often even other Black security guards/employees).
Why you are you assuming that it is Black people in a neighborhood that is majority Hispanic? From what I have seen in the news, residents in the area are saying that it is people that live in the area doing it. That means it could be Hispanics, Blacks or anyone else that lives there. It was never established anywhere that the people stealing from this store are Black.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:02 AM

418 posts, read 231,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
So please tell me about the Target shopping center on East 117th Street. How is the crime? Is it safe? I ask because a friend of mine is looking at the Mount Sinai kidney dialysis clinic in that shopping center to go to there a couple of times a week. That is Mount Sinai's only location for kidney dialysis on an outpatient basis. I find it quite odd that they located it there, and not on their main hospital campus on 96th Street, or in a more central location in Manhattan with better public transportation.
I can answer that...space constraints, a large population of really sick people who need to be near acute care during treatment and patient attitudes. Believe it or not, some people are either so disrespectful of others, or of keeping their appointments or renewing their insurance that an effort is made to have a place for the respectful patients to be less impacted by the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City