Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM

287 posts, read 549,135 times

Advertisements

Just curious but is the area from Slidell over to Mandeville and Covington and the Hammond/Ponchatoula area part of the New Orleans metro or are they a separate micro/metro area. Also if they aren't part of the New Orleans metro do you foresee that happening anytime soon? Also do any of you think there is a possibility of a Baton Rouge/New Orleans metro/mega region taking shape or not a chance? This should be an interesting conversation. Can't wait to read the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,867 times
Technically the metro area already includes seven other parishes outside of New Orleans.

See: New Orleans metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Technically the metro area already includes seven other parishes outside of New Orleans.

See: New Orleans metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the info! What are your thoughts on a possible Baton Rouge/New Orleans metro or mega region? Is this something that you see in 20, 50, 100 years or never?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Hammond/Tangipahoa just joined the New Orleans MSA, something I learned not too long ago.
At the same time, Hammond is closer to Baton Rouge than it is to New Orleans so it will be interesting to see how that may change in the future. FedEx has no station there, instead, the Baton Rouge station delivers their packages. There's also a station in Covington, although it doesn't deliver in Hammond either. I think that says alot about the relationship between Hammond and Baton Rouge.

Can one parish be in two different metro areas?

I don't want to see a super sprawled region like DFW. However, I do think commuting patterns will continue and the area has a good chance of joining somehow.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 AM

That's interesting. Is traffic in Baton Rouge just as bad as New Orleans?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Baton Rouge traffic is much worse than New Orleans.
Study says Baton Rouge has worst traffic in U.S. for mid-sized c - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports
Baton Rouge traffic ranks in top 25 worst in the country - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Old 04-02-2014, 01:19 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
Tangipahoa Parish is apart of New Orleans' CSA not MSA. It's probably due to the interactions with St. Tammany Parish since Hammond is a little closer to Covington than to Denham Springs. There are also a good amount of jobs located in St. Tammany that likely attract commuting Tangipohoa residents (since CSA/MSA status is based off of commuting numbers).

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 04-02-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 02:55 AM

Wow, that's interesting! You'd think it was New Orleans since it's the bigger city. I wonder why Baton Rouge has more traffic? Could it be because they not only have the usual resident/commuting traffic but maybe more traffic passing through the region goes through Baton Rouge and may not have to go through New Orleans and instead opt to take I-12 north of the city? I'm just guessing.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Tangipahoa Parish is apart of New Orleans' CSA not MSA. It's probably due to the interactions with St. Tammany Parish since Hammond is a little closer to Covington than to Denham Springs. There are also a good amount of jobs located in St. Tammany that likely attract commuting Tangipohoa residents (since CSA/MSA status is based off of commuting numbers).
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
True. My mistake.
I wonder how this is going to work in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post
Wow, that's interesting! You'd think it was New Orleans since it's the bigger city. I wonder why Baton Rouge has more traffic? Could it be because they not only have the usual resident/commuting traffic but maybe more traffic passing through the region goes through Baton Rouge and may not have to go through New Orleans and instead opt to take I-12 north of the city? I'm just guessing.
It has nothing to do with size and more to do with commuting patterns and road layout. Our surface roads are inadequate, we need a loop, we need public transit, and we need for the burbs to stop growing so it doesn't turn into a 2 hour trip going downtown during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans