Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 04:53 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
GOOD FOR THEM!
Things are worse than pedal bikes but people use them the same with "I can ride anywhere I damn will please!"......(and the traffic laws don't apply to me).
Low-speed e-bikes and e-scooters are not any worse than pedal bikes. The only difference is whether or not the human is providing forward motion or a motor. The issue you have applies to ALL bicycle use. In my town there is a local law that prohibits bicycle use on sidewalks. it is not enforced and it is a problem. There are traffic laws that already apply to bicycles on the road. Again.... they are not enforced and it is a problem.

I would argue that the existing bicycle laws and lack of enforcement in NJ are faulty here; not just ebikes/e-scoorters. Requiring e-bike/e-scooter registration isn't going to address that problem and simply create more problems. For starters, tax money to run the program is a utter waste of money and we already are pretty wasteful of tax dollars as a state. I would also argue that the problem would improve if we had safer throughways for bicyclists to begin with..... NJ is lacking in this department.

Quote:
39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 6) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

Last edited by usayit; 02-22-2024 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 05:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Low-speed e-bikes and e-scooters are not any worse than pedal bikes. The only difference is whether or not the human is providing forward motion or a motor. The issue you have applies to ALL bicycle use. In my town there is a local law that prohibits bicycle use on sidewalks. it is not enforced and it is a problem. There are traffic laws that already apply to bicycles on the road. Again.... they are not enforced and it is a problem.

I would argue that the existing bicycle laws and lack of enforcement in NJ are faulty here; not just ebikes/e-scoorters. Requiring e-bike/e-scooter registration isn't going to address that problem and simply create more problems. I would also argue that the problem would improve if we had safer throughways for bicyclists to begin with..... NJ is lacking in this department.
PRECISELY! It is high time that they started enforcing those who ride who act like the traffic code does not apply to them.

Now, as a cyclist, it irks the hell out of me when people act like that, especially when I am riding with traffic and I have another biker on a collision course with me because they don't know the rules of the road.

BUST THEM!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-22-2024 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-22-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
PRECISELY! It is high time that they started enforcing those who ride who act like the traffic code does not apply to them.
Now, as a cyclist, it irks the hell out of me when people act like that, especially when I am riding with traffic and I have another biker on a collision course with me because they don't know the rules of the road.

BUST THEM!
and unfortunately, it gives other cyclists who do ride responsibly a bad reputation. That bad reputation leads to the general public pushing for further restrictions on an activity that should be encouraged not discouraged.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
not typical for most recreational riders.
Doesn't matter what's typical; it's perfectly legal to do 20 or 30 or more on a pedal bike and nobody's demanding registration and insurance (nor would there be too many people complying if the law did).

Anyway, this bill applies to class 1 and 2 e-bikes with a top assist of 20mph or less; anything faster than that is already required to be registered (though of course lots of people don't. My ebike is older than the class system and does 25mph assisted)

Quote:
Mopeds require a license, registration, and insurance. NJ law still prohibits them on divided highways, interstates, and toll roads.
According to the article, this law would allow e-bikes on highways.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:46 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,531 times
Quote:
Low-speed e-bikes and e-scooters are not any worse than pedal bikes. The only difference is whether or not the human is providing forward motion or a motor.
Ebikes are way more dangerous than pedal bikes. Only only a pro or high level amateur can maintain the 28 mph speed of a class 3 ebike for longer than a couple hundred yards on a flat surface. Anybody with $1k can go 28mph for miles and 15 year olds can drive a class 3 in NJ. Class 3 ebikes require license and registration in NJ. The low speed escooter at 19mph max limit and the low speed ebike at 20mph max limit are still faster than most people can pedal a bike and anybody can buy and drive those units with no license or registration required. Unlike ebikes, eventually, most pedal bikers return to under 11 to 15 mph.
Quote:
The issue you have applies to ALL bicycle use. In my town there is a local law that prohibits bicycle use on sidewalks. it is not enforced and it is a problem. There are traffic laws that already apply to bicycles on the road. Again.... they are not enforced and it is a problem.

I would argue that the existing bicycle laws and lack of enforcement in NJ are faulty here; not just ebikes/e-scoorters. Requiring e-bike/e-scooter registration isn't going to address that problem and simply create more problems. For starters, tax money to run the program is a utter waste of money and we already are pretty wasteful of tax dollars as a state.
NJ is proposing registering low speed ebikes/escooters.
https://www.nj.com/news/2024/02/e-bi...posed-law.html
Quote:
I would also argue that the problem would improve if we had safer throughways for bicyclists to begin with..... NJ is lacking in this department.
There is not enough space for cars in NJ let alone taking space away from cars for bikes. NJ is just not conducive to commuting by bike for a variety of reasons.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Ebikes are way more dangerous than pedal bikes. Only only a pro or high level amateur can maintain the 28 mph speed of a class 3 ebike for longer than a couple hundred yards on a flat surface. Anybody with $1k can go 28mph for miles and 15 year olds can drive a class 3 in NJ. Class 3 ebikes require license and registration in NJ. The low speed escooter at 19mph max limit and the low speed ebike at 20mph max limit are still faster than most people can pedal a bike and anybody can buy and drive those units with no license or registration required. Unlike ebikes, eventually, most pedal bikers return to under 11 to 15 mph.

NJ is proposing registering low speed ebikes/escooters.
https://www.nj.com/news/2024/02/e-bi...posed-law.html

There is not enough space for cars in NJ let alone taking space away from cars for bikes. NJ is just not conducive to commuting by bike for a variety of reasons.
We already have limits on high speed/class ebikes. See previous post. There is no more risk of a serious injury to a pedistrian than a pedal bike on a busy sidewalk. yet this law is specific for low speed ebikes.

As an occasional bike commuter, there is plenty of space in my area for accommodating bicycles on many of our roads but the space isn't used for bicycle lanes and such. Central and South jersey even more so. So I have to disagree. The issue here is that NJ is doing nothing for bicyclists and this proposed law is being applied to all ebikes/escooters under across the state in all situations and road conditions while not enforcing current laws and ignoring current issues with ALL bicycles.

Don't assume that the entire state is the same..

It is yet another nanny law and I don't think tax dollars should be used to go towards maintaining the system and processes for a registration requirement.

Last edited by usayit; 02-23-2024 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-23-2024, 11:26 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Ebikes are way more dangerous than pedal bikes. Only only a pro or high level amateur can maintain the 28 mph speed of a class 3 ebike for longer than a couple hundred yards on a flat surface.
Not sure what this means -- e-bikes are hard to operate at 28mph?

Old 02-23-2024, 12:11 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Ebikes and scooters are the main killers of seniors after cars on the road. It doesn't take more than 10mph hitting into a senior to knock them dead on the concrete.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:13 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Shouldn't they be encouraging people to ride electric scooters, not penalizing them?
Does that mean not having those scooters/Bikes follow the same rules as all other vehicles that use the roads?

Old 02-23-2024, 01:33 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Not sure what this means -- e-bikes are hard to operate at 28mph?
Class 3 e-bikes top out at 28, but that's with pedal assist. The throttles max out around 20. The speed performance varies by rider's weight, terrain (hills vs flat), surface, tire pressure, how much juice is in the battery, how much pedaling the rider is doing, etc. If all of those things are ideal, a Class 3 will hit 28 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey