Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 09:03 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
WTH is wrong with you? You must be confused. Nowhere in my exchange with you in this thread have I addressed the legal issues of guns in New Jersey, that was all with other posters.

My exchanges with you have dealt solely with your strange, seeming insistence that if the OP isn’t going to “dangerous areas” she does’t need a gun. While you keep insisting that you understand that violence can occur anywhere, you keep circling back to the “dangerous areas” nonsense. You just don’t get that it’s not your decision, you don’t get to determine if the OP needs a gun, and you have no say.

Mindless recitations? Nope. Just addressing what you keep saying, as it’s wrong every time you say it.
It's not my decision, I am not trying to determine if the OP needs a gun and not only do I have no say, I don't actually care, either. But unlike you, I am trying to help a person who asked a question on my state forum. You, however, are just yet another one of those tiresome Internet hounds who feels big by trying to start arguments over nothing with people you don't know. It's your SOP, according to your record here on CD.

Run along now and go play somewhere else. While I'm not the assigned mod here, it's probably just not real smart for you to continue this game, capisce?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-07-2024 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 02:56 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,663,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
It appears this is all the info I need:

Without a NJ PCH, all firearms must be transported in a securely fastened case, unloaded, and separate from the ammunition. If transporting a gun in a car, it should not be accessible from the passenger compartment. If the gun must be carried in the passenger compartment, it MUST be in a locked container. It is illegal to carry a pistol or ammunition in the glovebox, even a locked one.
I am in no way being facetious in my reply, but you're assuming that NJ law enforcement know the fullness of NJ law to the letter.

I wouldn't make that assumption.

If a person is carrying in ANY State, when law enforcement is informed that a person is carrying, automatically, their posture is defensive. Even if said person has a permit to carry, LE has a heightened awareness when dealing with him/her.

So now you're potentially dealing with LE, in a State that is notoriously anti-carry, possibly engaging in a traffic stop scenario with LE, hoping that all will be "okay" with your journey, on the basis of a technicality??

The outcome of this cannot be good.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:50 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,830,327 times
Guys don't argue, you're all making valid points. I will find out for sure. No worries. If I can't bring it, I can't bring it, but I think I will be able to if I just follow the rules.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:17 AM

19,071 posts, read 14,002,182 times
Let me state unequivocally that you CANNOT bring that gun into NJ because by definition you are terminating your trip in NJ. As has been previously stated, federal transport law only protects you (and even then…) if you are transiting NJ without stopping. Some have interpreted that to mean not even stopping to pee or get gas. So clearly a 3 weeks visit is off the table. There’s nothing to look into. That’s that.

As for “need”. Well, that’s up to you. What Mightyqueen was getting at by my reading was that the OP is likely going to bring this gun no matter what we say, so she was hinting at weighing the pros and cons (as adults do). IE, Knowing that it is illegal, do I do this anyway? Well, I’ve had to make that choice as a man who carried and used guns for their intended purposes from the age of 19 until moving to NJ. I weighed pros and cons and opted to move from a state where I am exempt from all gun laws to one where I am not because overall, the situation here benefits my family.

Adults makes choices all the time, having weighed risks. Crossing the street is a choice between the safety of the curb and exposure to speeding cars but we do it all the time right? Well OP, you have a choice to make, and I also get the feeling you already made it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-08-2024, 06:41 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,708,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not my decision, I am not trying to determine if the OP needs a gun and not only do I have no say, I don't actually care, either. But unlike you, I am trying to help a person who asked a question on my state forum. You, however, are just yet another one of those tiresome Internet hounds who feels big by trying to start arguments over nothing with people you don't know. It's your SOP, according to your record here on CD.

Run along now and go play somewhere else. While I'm not the assigned mod here, it's probably just not real smart for you to continue this game, capisce?
You must have missed that that’s exactly what I did, in post #28, before you started to weigh in.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:31 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,849,339 times
I think some in this thread are kind of missing what many of us would consider the main consideration. The problem with carrying the gun is she is going to be staying in New Jersey. However, there is the driving on the Interstate in between. There are crazy people on the Interstate. Some potentially looking for a victim. A gun is nice to have if your car breaks down on the Interstate and you are stuck there waiting on a tow truck. You are sort of stuck and any nut job could stop and offer their "help." It is absurd that law abiding citizens cannot carry their firearm for personal protection while traveling if they are permitted to carry in their state of residence. The criminals could not care less what the law states about carrying a gun. If any of you think they aren't carrying them in New Jersey, you are very mistaken.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:58 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I think some in this thread are kind of missing what many of us would consider the main consideration. The problem with carrying the gun is she is going to be staying in New Jersey. However, there is the driving on the Interstate in between. There are crazy people on the Interstate. Some potentially looking for a victim. A gun is nice to have if your car breaks down on the Interstate and you are stuck there waiting on a tow truck. You are sort of stuck and any nut job could stop and offer their "help." It is absurd that law abiding citizens cannot carry their firearm for personal protection while traveling if they are permitted to carry in their state of residence. The criminals could not care less what the law states about carrying a gun. If any of you think they aren't carrying them in New Jersey, you are very mistaken.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Exactly why I am not anti-gun, even though I personally do not want one. As long as the criminals can get them, anyone who wants one should be able to have one.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,746,385 times
Why not get bear spray or pepper gel instead??

Perfectly legal AND it's almost as effective as a 22.

Even better, im gonna be a LOT less hesitant to use it against someone threatening me since its only going to make them miserable and incapacitated for 30-40 minutes vs end their life.

Win win if you ask me

Old 01-08-2024, 04:09 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

So how do you see this hypothetical scenario you’ve created with the car breaking down on the interstate going? Is she supposed to wave the gun at anyone who approaches her broken down vehicle until she’s able to determine whether or not it’s a bad guy? Or is she supposed to wait until the bad guy shows his gun first and somehow miraculously pull her gun out and shoot before her assailant pulls the trigger?

In many cases, carrying a gun provides a false sense of security. He with the element of surprise holds the upper hand. Of course I do believe there are many scenarios where carrying a gun would be helpful, this just isn’t one of them.

One day at my kid’s soccer practice I was looking out into the field watching all the teams play and thought to myself if there was an active shooter situation here we would be really screwed unless some of the parents also had guns. Not sure why my mind went there, but yea.

Old 01-09-2024, 05:45 AM

862 posts, read 979,224 times
Leave the gun home,

I do not know the laws but seems like bringing a gun across state lines would be illegal.

You do not need a gun in NJ it is a crowded mostly suburban state where there is a heavy police presence
someone picks their nose and the police are called well almost, and if someone calls on you they may profile
you and assume you may have a gun or may be smuggling guns from the south.

Former Governor Christie I remember pardoned a southern guy who claimed ignorance who was
caught with a gun he left behind at a hotel.

Also gun ownership in NJ is low, also do not get into the politics of gun ownership or anything else while you
are here, people think the way they think and you are not going to change their mind and they
are not going to change yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey