Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 05:13 PM

119 posts, read 236,876 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just purchased a property in a small town called Masontown, south of Morgantown. It's a bank-owned doublewide about 25 minutes south of Morgantown, in Preston county. I like both urban and rural environments and I have enjoyed spending time at some of my favorite places downtown, such as the Blue Moose Cafe, Morgantown Brewing Company, and pre-Covid, riding the PRT around the campus and town.

I'm doing a total renovation on the property which is about 1 acre so if anyone has any suggestions for vendors or for things to do both in Morgantown and in Masontown, or things to know about the community, I'm all ears!

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,620 times
Post Bank owned homes

Hi Diamondeye,

This is the first time I've been on this site so I'm not familiar with how it works. I am considering a move to West Virginia and would be very interested in looking into purchasing a bank owned home. Don't know anything about the process. Did you use a realtor or were you able to do it yourself? I'd love to know more information.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Keep posting I'll be following this

Old 10-02-2022, 02:56 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
Default Google is a great tool

Type Bank owned property in xxxxxx, WV in the search space and you will get some ideas.

Here is a list from my search:

Zillow.com
Homefinder.com
realtor.com
foreclosurelistings.com/where you want to look
foreclosure.com
bankownedproperties.com
propertyshark.com
realtystore.com

Old 10-11-2022, 02:22 PM

119 posts, read 236,876 times
Hi all,

I used Auction.com in this case but I also worked with a buyer's agent. Buying auction properties is not for the faint of heart: most times the utilities won't be on, you might not be permitted access to the grounds of the property much less being allowed inside the house itself. Let's just say I learned a lot in the process. If you're just getting started I might suggest starting with foreclosures first; and also, if buying land, check on things like easements, mineral rights (hardly in WV have any at this point) tax liens, and if it has access to city utilities or if you'll need a well/septic and if the ground is suitable for such. It really takes doing a lot of homework to avoid buying a lemon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown