Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:37 PM

91 posts, read 136,238 times

Advertisements

I am a mid-30s single male, with a 12 year old daughter. I live in Charleston and am looking to possibly leave. My daughter's not currently living with me, but I aim to change that within the next year.

So Cost of Living, Education, and Extracurriculars are important to me.

So a few questions. I don't remember if I asked these when I was looking at moving once before(I was considering Huntington and Morgantown wasn't a real possibility), but either way my situation has changed and Morgantown is now a feasible option for me, when it was not before.

What's the typical rent for a good-sized 2BR that isn't in the hood? Doesn't necessarily have to be in Morgantown proper(though I would prefer it if possible) but I'd like to be within a 15-20 minute drive at least. I currently pay 400 a month for a small 1BR on the West Side of Charleston. I feel like I'd be looking for something between 450-550, but could probably make 600 work on what I am currently making.

How are the non-WVU affiliated schools? Middle and High Schools in particular. Also, while I am not certain that I will be able to afford such things, I would like to look into Violin and Dance lessons for my daughter. She does these things now while she is living with my parents, and I'd like her to continue when I get custody of her again. For my own extracurriculars, the only thing I really need is a 24-hour gym. Planet Fitness doesn't count.

Are there other affordable areas in the immediate Morgantown Area that I should look into? Like I said, I don't necessarily need to be IN Morgantown, but I'd like to be CLOSE to it.

I actually drove through Morgantown last week on my way home from visiting my daughter in DC. It was my first time in Morgantown, and I stayed for about an hour or so before moving on. Went to the mall, got some food, got some gas, kinda explored a small bit. Looked nice, but not enough time to get a real feel for the city.

My major concern is whether or not there is a point to living there if you are not attending or working at WVU. I understand that Morgantown is a College Town, but WVU seems, at first glance, to BE Morgantown in its entirety. In a way that I'm not used to seeing. Lawd, its everywhere. Is everyone there affiliated with WVU in some way, or is there a sizable "just a Morgantown resident because I like it here" population as well?

Thanks for indulging my silly questions.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,117,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
I am a mid-30s single male, with a 12 year old daughter. I live in Charleston and am looking to possibly leave. My daughter's not currently living with me, but I aim to change that within the next year.

So Cost of Living, Education, and Extracurriculars are important to me.

So a few questions. I don't remember if I asked these when I was looking at moving once before(I was considering Huntington and Morgantown wasn't a real possibility), but either way my situation has changed and Morgantown is now a feasible option for me, when it was not before.
Actually, while WVU is the dominant influence in Morgantown, with the 11,000 and growing employed by The University and it's affiliated medical component, it is far from the only one. There is Mylan Pharma with it's 4,500 and growing employees, plus the US Dept. of Agriculture, US Bureau of Prisons, Stone Energy, NIOSH, NETL, Protea, and numerous other research operations. Even our local coal mines are still operational. It is easily one of our state's most vibrant and diverse local economies.

One thing that could interest you is the relative youth of our population. You will find tons of folks around your age living and working here, and the crime rate is comparatively low for a city this size. The local schools are very good, and Mon County is the only county in our state with 2 high schools ranked in the state's Top 10. Like probably every city in our state, there are local dance, gymnastics, and music lessons available for all ages. Our local park system, BOPARC, also has active summer camps for children offering numerous learning and recreational options.

The arts and entertainment, as well as the athletic offerings, in my opinion, are unmatched in our state. We're also just over an hour from Pittsburgh with it's big city amenities.

Our housing stock is in growth mode along with our population. This is not a cheap place to live, because with a growing population demand is high, but the further out you go from Downtown Morgantown the less the rents. Also, Fairmont is only 15 minutes from here and their rents are quite reasonable. You should be able to find something in your price range in our area. This might give you some idea...

http://www.apartments.com/apartments...w6h8tmI7wm1pqf

The Mall itself is actually not our most vibrant shopping area. Next time you visit, be sure to drive out WV 705 to see Suncrest Town Centre, and go to Star City and Granville to see University Town Centre, as well as Pierpont to see the shopping options there. The new Gateway area is rapidly growing as a shopping and dining destination.

We do have some issues here, mostly related to our growth and the state's lack of response to it in terms of infrastructure. In the morning and afternoon commute hours, our traffic is very heavy. We have a lot of people condensed into just 10 square miles, and the traffic load on the roads demonstrates that very clearly. Still, overall for many people this is an excellent choice as a place to live. The city has recognition from several national publications as a highly desirable living place. The fact that more people are moving in than are moving out attests to that fact.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,064,346 times
Im pretty sure Morgantown would be nothin more than another sleepy lil dying WV town without WVU, but there are plenty of people who live here that have nothin to do with the university, myself included. I dont like it here, which is pretty well documented. but there are worse places Ive lived also. You will more than likely get about 10 people come in here and reply with something along the lines of " Morgantown is awesome" and a "model for the nation"...just do yourself a favor and listen to the people who can actually give you some of the negatives along with the positives, not certain members who tend to portray this area as heaven on earth......If you like the outdoors, theres Cooper's Rock, Dorsey's Knob and some trails and an Arboretum, but for anything else its limited, couple of movie theaters, a couple of crap malls, dining scene aint much although it is getting better by the day.Roads are notoriously bad, although those also are getting better by the day. Theres a Short season Single A Minor league baseball team here (Pirates affiliate) which is kinda nice for those of us who love any live sports, but unless youre a Pirates die-hard or just so crazy about anything WV, the passion is just not there like it can be for College and Major league Pro sports......

I dont know about Cost of living compared to Charleston, but of all my complaints of Morgantown/WV, cost of living has never been one, its pretty cheap. Education? my wife's 2 sons from a previous marriage both graduated UHS and seem like smart men, and my wife herself graduated MHS so Id say its normal. Probably right on par with Charleston and Huntington schools.

I have no idea about Violin and dance lessons but Im sure there are plenty of options in a college town.

as for Rent? we pay 650 for an average 1 BR 1 BA, and then 350$ a year for garbage/water/sewer and whatever else......our electric is crazy low though......Prices are hiked up because of it bein a college town, if you look at places like Fairmont 20 miles away, rent prices get hella cheaper.....

Is there a point to live here other than goin to WVU? I mean, Im biased against it, just as others who pound their chest for Morgantown are biased for it. But again, Ive lived all over this country and Morgantown is far from the worst, far from the best. If you like hills and outdoorsy stuff amongst said hills, and dont mind having to drive to Pittsburgh for most of your better dining, shopping and entertainment needs, then sure there is a point to live here. Otherwise no, you can do much better, whether its all over this country, or just in this region.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:09 PM

I would urge you to consider that one chronic complainer just might not be giving a valid impression, especially when that individual is paying $650 per month for a place to live but evaluating fine dining options. I share his pain in that he is living here against his will. When he leaves, which hopefully will be soon, it will open up yet another unit in your rental price range. In the meantime, I hope you will consider the opinions of many others, including these sources:

http://www.morgantownwv.gov/about/awards/

And, as far as outdoor attractions, they aren't limited to beautiful Coopers Rock. There are thousands of acres of state and university forests, Chestnut Ridge Regional Park, Cheat Lake and the Cheat River Canyon, 50 miles of developed rail trails and other undeveloped trails in nearby parks, the Monongahela River, and nearby whitewater rafting on the Cheat and Youghiogheny Rivers. You won't find endless open ranges and buffalo roaming around here, but we have lots of things to do outdoors.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I would urge you to consider that one chronic complainer just might not be giving a valid impression, especially when that individual is paying $650 per month for a place to live but evaluating fine dining options. I share his pain in that he is living here against his will. When he leaves, which hopefully will be soon, it will open up yet another unit in your rental price range. In the meantime, I hope you will consider the opinions of many others, including these sources:

Recognition | City of Morgantown, WV official website

And, as far as outdoor attractions, they aren't limited to beautiful Coopers Rock. There are thousands of acres of state and university forests, Chestnut Ridge Regional Park, Cheat Lake and the Cheat River Canyon, 50 miles of developed rail trails and other undeveloped trails in nearby parks, the Monongahela River, and nearby whitewater rafting on the Cheat and Youghiogheny Rivers. You won't find endless open ranges and buffalo roaming around here, but we have lots of things to do outdoors.

Like I said, I would also urge you (OP) to listen to the other people here that can actually admit Morgantown has alot of faults, and not all of which are "The State's fault" ....

So I guess people that pay 650/mo rent should just be content with McDonald's and Pepperoni Rolls from Go Mart?

And please, tons of cities/towns' websites all over the country play up their recognitions and awards to promote tourism/relocation, nothin unique about Morgantown's list, many of which are obscure and more than a couple years old anyway....

Cheat Lake is mostly private, anybody can fish there, but to swim you have to back channel your way to a very very small "beach" area. Or own/know someone with a boat.

Mon River is trash, its nice to look at while eating at somewhere like Oliverio's (Which is decent but way overrated), but other than that its not good for anything.

Chestnut Ridge Regional Park is apart of Cooper's Rock.

Rail trails are nice, but nothin unique......

Last edited by Colt .45; 10-02-2016 at 11:54 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 11:48 PM

91 posts, read 136,238 times
for one, I'm not at all an "outdoorsy" person. i won't do any of that stuff you guys are arguing about. I don't fish, I don't hike, i don't do any of that stuff. the most outdoors I'll get is running. I am a City Guy, through and through.

secondly, I've been browsing the various WV forums, and I get it. CTM loves WV and thinks its the greatest place on the face of the planet, Colt. 45 hates it and wishes he was somewhere else but won't move, and you two guys argue about it in every single thread that's ever posted.

you are the two extremes.

I'm just looking for info that skews little more twoards the middle of your two viewpoints.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:50 PM

Actually, Chestnut Ridge Regional Park has no connection to Coopers Rock State Forest, although both are located on and about Cheat Mountain. Chestnut Ridge is owned by Monongalia County.

Chestnut Ridge Park

As far as Cheat Lake is concerned... although there are private areas around it, there are also public areas and boat docks for keeping boats or boat rentals. The beach area mentioned above is not typically reached by boat, but by a road from the inhabited area of Cheat Lake. It is quite popular and well used, and it abuts 5 miles of walking, jogging, biking trails that go to the dam which is located on the state line. It is also located near some nice restaurants as well as a large golf course (Lakeview) located between Cheat Lake and Cheat Mountain.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
for one, I'm not at all an "outdoorsy" person. i won't do any of that stuff you guys are arguing about. I don't fish, I don't hike, i don't do any of that stuff. the most outdoors I'll get is running. I am a City Guy, through and through.

secondly, I've been browsing the various WV forums, and I get it. CTM loves WV and thinks its the greatest place on the face of the planet, Colt. 45 hates it and wishes he was somewhere else but won't move, and you two guys argue about it in every single thread that's ever posted.

I'm just looking for info that skews little more twoards the middle of your two viewpoints.
Well then, lets keep it to the basics. You like running. Here is where you would do much of it, on our state's most developed rail trail system...

Mon River Trails Conservacy – – MRTC

They are raising funds to connect that to the Great Allegheny Trail which connects Pittsburgh to Washington, DC so if you run more than 48 miles, you could run till your heart's content there.

What other middle of the road information do you want? You can get a fair idea as to rents from the link I posted above. There is also a thread on this board about school rankings in WV so you can make comparisons there. You'll find Mon County well represented on the higher end of the rankings. Is there any other information that would particularly interest you?

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 10-03-2016 at 12:11 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Actually, Chestnut Ridge Regional Park has no connection to Coopers Rock State Forest, although both are located on and about Cheat Mountain. Chestnut Ridge is owned by Monongalia County.

Chestnut Ridge Park

As far as Cheat Lake is concerned... although there are private areas around it, there are also public areas and boat docks for keeping boats or boat rentals. The beach area mentioned above is not typically reached by boat, but by a road from the inhabited area of Cheat Lake. It is quite popular and well used, and it abuts 5 miles of walking, jogging, biking trails that go to the dam which is located on the state line. It is also located near some nice restaurants as well as a large golf course (Lakeview) located between Cheat Lake and Cheat Mountain.

Cheat lake is by far the most private lake Ive ever seen.......Ive been to the "beach" area, its off the beaten path and very small, and the couple of times we've been there it was void of any other people (which actually was kinda nice ironically) but its not ideal for swimming, not compared to other lakes Ive been to anyway.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Finally someone gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown