Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:29 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
Does Kelly have the sack to stand up to slumlords Biafora and Giuliani?

That's the most important question than anything else.
That should be the first question asked when a candidate is interviewing for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:17 AM

354 posts, read 505,499 times
What is Kelly's current relationship with the slumlords/Biafora, Dan Ryan, Bob Beach, the county commission, and the CEO of sheetz? Warm feelings to any of these parties should DQ a candidate right away. Taking the search national might be the best thing for Morgantown.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:01 PM

273 posts, read 382,008 times
The DOT had made it official. Southern Airways Express will serve Morgantown. https://www.regulations.gov/contentS...ontentType=pdf

Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM

193 posts, read 281,751 times
Did they ever determine if and when they will extend the runway?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
Did they ever determine if and when they will extend the runway?
It's still something that's in progress. I think the ball is in the Air Force's court.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:35 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
I don't know if any of you have flown out of the airport in Morgantown (or Clarksburg or Parkersburg for that matter) while Silver has been the airline, but Silver's reliability has been poor. There's a new Essential Air Service period happening now and Morgantown had several airlines submit proposals. They recommended the DOT select Southern Airways Express as the airline. Clarkaburg and Parkersburg have also recommended an airline change to Via Air.

Silver currently operates 18 flights out of Morgantown weekly to Dulles. The planes they fly have a capacity of 34, but those seats are shared with Clarkaburg and Parkersburg. Some of those flights are direct and some go through Parkersburg or Clarksburg. Southern Airways Express will instead offer 33-38 flights weekly on a smaller 9 passenger plane. 19-24 will go to Pittsburgh and 14-19 will go to Dulles. Via Air will fly to Charlotte and BWI from Clarksburg. This means North Central West Virginia will have flights to four major airports instead of one, increasing connection opportunities for travel.

In Southern's bid, they highlighted that fewer than 2% of flights are cancelled for reasons unrelated to weather. That's much better than Silver's recent track record. I think a change in airline giving passengers more flexibility in destination and departure time is great for Morgantown's airport and anyone that needs to fly out of Morgantown. Now we have to wait for DOT approvals.

Morgantown Selection: TheDPost.com - Airport officials ponder new provider
Southern Bid: https://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/31...s-Eas-Bid-2016
Clarksburg Selection: Benedum Airport Authority selects Via Air as new EAS carrier recommendation to DOT | Local News | theet.com
Great news. I hope you don't mind if I share it with others.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Great news. I hope you don't mind if I share it with others.
Share it all you want. The DOT has yet to announce a decision yet for Clarksburg. They're taking their sweet time this year.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:56 AM

Last time I heard, I think the now city manager mentioned on the radio that dirt would start moving in the spring for the expansion and there is supposed to be a meeting this fall for the houses that are in the way of the runway extension.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 AM

Glenn Kelley (Morgantown's interim city manager) was on the radio this morning and he briefly talked about the runway extension saying it is being worked on, nothing more was given, but when he was talking about it he mentioned that the plan was for Southern Airways to grow with the airport and eventually use bigger planes at Morgantown Airport. He also mentioned he is working with either southern or another company to eventually offer air service to Charleston.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
Share it all you want. The DOT has yet to announce a decision yet for Clarksburg. They're taking their sweet time this year.
I know you can get flights from Clarksburg now to Charlotte, Dulles, Parkersburg, and Columbus. I believe they have flights to Myrtle Beach during summer months until school starts. I've heard they are also going to offer flights to Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown