Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times

Advertisements

I wish I could give you more info on the city but I absolutely love it. One of my top 5 places I'd like to move. The climate is great, 4 season, amenities of a college town, beautiful setting, perfect size in my opinion, and good proximity to larger cities like Pittsburgh and DC. Best of luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:39 AM

456 posts, read 602,265 times
tell your nephew there are more things to do outside in summer and winter than Ohio. I have lived in both and believe me there is plenty of white trash in Ohio also. maybe he can enlighten us on his knowledge of Morgantown. for a town its size it has a lot to offer. plenty of skiing within 2 hours of Morgantown. I would like to know the outdoor activities available in Ohio in the winter. I have lived in 4 areas of Ohio and 2 in West Virginia. as someone getting older I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in my golden years than West Virginia.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:41 AM

98 posts, read 113,258 times
It's def not " white trash " . He must be confusing Uniontown PA with Morgantown WV . We are a progressive community with highly educated residents . Most of our jobs are environmentally friendly and recession proof . We trend south . I don't know about the " older" scene because everyone in this town seems to be young or at least act young . I say that as a positive trait . Where did you eat ? Morgantown is home to 30000 students . We love them when they are here and we love when they go on break .

Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM

75 posts, read 91,132 times
Honestly, don't listen to anyone from Ohio when they give their opinion of WV.

For some reason, they seem to think they're far and away superior, as if Ohio is the mecca of the United States.

I think the social scene for people past midlife is better than for those between 25-35.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
Default Finding an apartment

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Morgantown for my job within the next 2-3 weeks and have been searching for housing options. I am by myself and looking for a 1 br apartment but am having trouble finding good options. The better looking apartments that I have called about have all been filled (e.g. Windwood, The Domain). I also tried calling Timothy Place about a billion times over the past 4 days and I keep getting voicemail. The one time he answered, he said he had bad service and to call him in the morning - and the whole next day I just got voicemail.

My work is in Westover, and I would not like to have a long commute. I'd rather not be in a place with a lot of students, but it seems almost unavoidable due to my work location limiting the areas where I'd want to commute from. A lot of apartments and houses look pretty old/rundown and I was hoping to live in a newer and nice, well-maintained area.

I was hoping to spend around $800 a month for rent, but I'd pay more if I have to to live in a newer apartment or nicer area.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2016, 09:42 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,066 times
Not sure of apartments that would be suitable as a comparison to Windwood, as nothing of that sort exists in Westover, but I would strongly advise avoiding the commute from Sincerest/hospital/Van Voorhis/West Run parts of town to Westover. Not that it's a bad wait if you come from a high traffic area, but why place yourself somewhere with so much added drive time when it can be avoided, eh? If you must live in the city, look in South Park (always easy to get to Westover in a hurry) or Greenmont or First Ward neighborhoods. There may be good rentals in the section of Westover that is nearest Morgantown, but avoid anything to the west of the intersection of Fairmont Rd and Holland Ave. Westover has easy interstate access so if you like a short commute on the interstate, rentals in Cheat Lake area could also work for you.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 AM

36 posts, read 51,399 times
I lived at Timothy place, the apartment was very nice with hardwood and granite counter tops. I never had any trouble with the landlord. Convenient location but you will be paying more than $800.00. You could also avoid traffic by going through Osage to Westover.

Timothy Place Apartments - New 1 And 2 Bedroom Apartments, Apartment Rentals, Find Apartments

Old 11-17-2016, 03:21 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohon View Post
I lived at Timothy place, the apartment was very nice with hardwood and granite counter tops. I never had any trouble with the landlord. Convenient location but you will be paying more than $800.00. You could also avoid traffic by going through Osage to Westover.

Timothy Place Apartments - New 1 And 2 Bedroom Apartments, Apartment Rentals, Find Apartments
This is good advice as those are nice places, and within an easy drive to Westover, however if you don't mind driving 12 minutes or so each way to get to Westover, Cheat Lake is a great location for renting an apartment. Ruby Hospital (WVU Medicine) is in major expansion mode now, so you'll want to lock up a place quickly in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
Thanks for the replies guys! Cheat Lake looks like a good area, but it looks to be about a 30 minute commute from Westover (when I looked at around 5:30pm). How does this commute look in the winter? Do they plow the interstate?

Old 11-18-2016, 06:38 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
morgantownapartmentguide.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown