Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefulone View Post
The following are examples from posts of the times I was called a liar. Just because none of you used the word liar doesn't mean that you weren't saying I was lying.

To be honest, that story seems a little farfetched--especially for this area.
I don't buy that either, seems to be fabricated.
At the same time note that this person has only had 10 posts. I'd say that post is highly suspect
You also might want to ignore it. I think the story is far fetched. That writer is not known on this forum,
I would not let one sketchy, unverified, story given to you by a stranger
This coming from someone with 2 post and no established credibility.
You strike me more as a troll. Do you have any proof at all? If not you are just a member with 2 posts making dubious claims about unsubstantiated events.
Because nobody heard of your incident and you have no proof. Im not sure what happened
your case I call trolling

Thank you for finally saying that I may be telling the truth. Of course that never would have happened if I hadn't persisted. This incident doesn't make Morgantown all bad. As you pointed out every place may have it's share of jerks. Could you consider the possibility that you haven't seen racism here because you are white and may I guess over 40? My daughter has been dealing with it here since she was 16. The younger people have different experiences than those of us who are a bit older, perhaps? At the risk of piling it on I would like to leave you with this example of an interaction that I had. I work out at a local indoor pool and had been going faithfully for many months at about the same time everyday. I formed a friendship with a group of white women, I called us the pool ladies. This changed the moment that my husband came in to pick me up one day. Most of the women became uncomfortable and started avoiding me after that. Not a big deal right? Sucks though... I could give you many examples of this kind of thing. I also can give many examples of far worse racist things that have happened to my family and other families living in Morgantown and the surrounding areas. This would be nonproductive though. As David Kennedy pointed out we all need to move on. Maybe it is more difficult for some folks to move on than others?

Nobody still believes you. You insisting without proof that isnt going to change our doubt.

Stick around the forum, and actually contribute outside of this topic and you may gain some credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Perhaps it is more difficult for some than for others. You are right. I am white and that might have affected my personal experiences. Had I been in Harlem though, it would have likely affected them far more than you were affected here. Truth is, my son lived in Harlem for a time so I have some experience there too.

You mentioned a couple incidents here that you thought exhibited racism. How many people did you meet while you were here? How many of them made a racist gesture toward you, your child, or your husband? I'm willing to bet a lot more of them made a good gestures. Nobody said we were perfect here. They aren't perfect any place else either, and it is better here than most places. It is definitely better here than in New York, and especially better than in Harlem where I saw more examples of blatant racism than any place else in the country.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 PM

16 posts, read 42,182 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	img002.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	90050

Last edited by carefulone; 01-21-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Upside down but here it is.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
That is better, but still suspicious. Why is there a charge for giving minors alcohol.

Also, I looked up the case on the United States justice portal. I got the defendants full name and saw their facebook page. First they do look like a real loser, but they are coming off as a white thug. He has lil'wayne listed as his favorite musician. He doesnt strike me as someone who hates black people, although he does strike me as someone who would have a police record.

All give you the benefit of the doubt, but some uniontown thug who harrassed you is hardly representational of Morgantown.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM

16 posts, read 42,182 times
Default Done with this-Moving on

My family has lived here for four years. We have had many negative experiences and are looking to move. We are a biracial couple with a 20 yr old daughter. We have been harrassed by other patrons at a restaurant in Point Marion and told to leave. We have been followed down the road by some men and had to evade them. My husband was harrassed at work by his coworkers. My daughter was assaulted and chased down a road at night being told over and over that "ni88er you are going to die on this road tonight". They did this for over an half an hour after they beat her. Thank God she had a cell phone and we were able to find her! She suffered a broken nose and other damage as you can imagine. The N word is used freely here and confederate flags feel like a punch in the gut. We are looking to move where there is more diversity.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
My family has lived here for four years. We have had many negative experiences and are looking to move. We are a biracial couple with a 20 yr old daughter. We have been harrassed by other patrons at a restaurant in Point Marion and told to leave. We have been followed down the road by some men and had to evade them. My husband was harrassed at work by his coworkers. My daughter was assaulted and chased down a road at night being told over and over that "ni88er you are going to die on this road tonight". They did this for over an half an hour after they beat her. Thank God she had a cell phone and we were able to find her! She suffered a broken nose and other damage as you can imagine. The N word is used freely here and confederate flags feel like a punch in the gut. We are looking to move where there is more diversity.
I know lots of black people in Morgantown and none of them have ever experienced a fraction of what you are claiming.

I cant comment on Point Marion, but it is not in Morgantown. Also confederate flags are not common in Morgantown. Outside of it in rural areas they are more common.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM

9 posts, read 40,694 times
wow i didn't even realize people were still responding to this thread lol

this conversation definitely took a turn!

but ummmm...i'm not sure why everybody's jumping all over carefulone's back...her experience as a white woman in an interracial relationship with a black man is definitely valid and worth knowing...because i'm definitely open to dating white men and i could see myself possibly in an interracial relationship in morgantown. i actually didn't even think about how other people in morgantown might react to an interracial couple because here in dc, nobody even raises an eyebrow (usually).

i know wvu is pretty diverse...but the thing is...i'm not a student, and i definitely don't want to live in close proximity to students lol...i'm sure you can imagine why...so thanks to carefulone for making me think about something i didn't even consider...

i'm definitely not deterred...and i expect the best situations at all times...but please let's respect each other and our experiences, ok people?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7984 View Post

but ummmm...i'm not sure why everybody's jumping all over carefulone's back...her experience as a white woman in an interracial relationship with a black man is definitely valid and worth knowing...because i'm definitely open to dating white men and i could see myself possibly in an interracial relationship in morgantown. i actually didn't even think about how other people in morgantown might react to an interracial couple because here in dc, nobody even raises an eyebrow (usually).

i know wvu is pretty diverse...but the thing is...i'm not a student, and i definitely don't want to live in close proximity to students lol...i'm sure you can imagine why...so thanks to carefulone for making me think about something i didn't even consider...

i'm definitely not deterred...and i expect the best situations at all times...but please let's respect each other and our experiences, ok people?

The issue is it is dubious. I know inter racial couples, and they do have occasional complaints, but nothing like hers. An interracial couple is not uncommon in Morgantown.

Also her complaints are more about an area outside of Morgantown.

You are from DC right? Would it be fair to say the whole DC metro area is bad because it is near Baltimore?

Finally, about her incident. I visited the defender's facebook page and they are white but throwing gang symbols in their picture and have an interest in rap. They dont strike me as a member of the klan. Im not doubting the incident occurred, but I feel there is more to this story, and her Morgantown story than she is telling.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7984 View Post

To elaborate. If people made racist comments to her husband, and if he told management and they did nothing he could sue the company for a lot of money.

The story about her daughter getting chased and beaten. That would be a scandal here, or anywhere in WV. It could become nationally known.

Being chased out of restaurants. Another situation for a big lawsuit.

All we know is maybe she got into a tussle with some thug wannabe in PA.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:20 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
To elaborate. If people made racist comments to her husband, and if he told management and they did nothing he could sue the company for a lot of money.

The story about her daughter getting chased and beaten. That would be a scandal here, or anywhere in WV. It could become nationally known.

Being chased out of restaurants. Another situation for a big lawsuit.

All we know is maybe she got into a tussle with some thug wannabe in PA.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems like your in major denial? Not saying WV is a klan heaven, but really you are acting as if hate crimes don't happen everywhere in America?

It sounds like you are still doubting careful one after she even showed proof of being assaulted, who are we to judge her opinion of WV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown