Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 08:51 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Most people that moved here during the COVID push do have jobs. A lot can work remotely. Some cashed out from higher value areas and could purchase a home 'affordably' here and work for Montana wages.

My wife and I moved here in 2010. We both work in Montana, but we would be hard pressed to buy our house (today) with its current value. We could technically afford it, but I wouldn't want to pay that kind of money for it. What's tough is that our kids will not be able to live here because of the disparity between wages and cost of living especially housing costs. At least not without a few roommates. They can make more elsewhere and in regions with an overall lower cost of living.
Thankful we did it in early '17 ... no bidding wars, homes selling for well under asking price, and a lot of options on the market. Too many challenges to try doing that move in today's market.

A lot of companies are embracing RTO now, so those supposedly secure 'remote jobs' aren't so secure. Out of sight, out of mind ... last hired, first fired, etc. ... those scenarios are playing out now all over the country. At the end of the day, most employees are 'at will' and the employer can do whatever it wants, including pulling remote jobs back to the office. Easy way to shove off high paid employees who won't return, and just backfill them with lower paid/younger workers. AI is going to be a job killer as well.

I'd mentioned before that I met a marketing exec for Microsoft last year. Left Redmond WA in '21 and moved his family to the Flathead. Bought (2) houses, new cars, a boat, etc. Lost his job last Spring and had no prospects. Lots of tech companies are tightening their belts despite profits. TheLayoff.com and layoffs.fyi are great resources if you're curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana