Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,991,362 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Sonnenwende
I am assuming they have PR status. That is just something that allows them to live there for a certain number of years or indefinitely. I have PR status in Germany. That is as far as it would ever go for me because Germany doesn't allow naturalized citizens to have dual citizenship. However, I am allowed to live here basically as long as I want through my husband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I have to correct you on that. I have a dual citizenship and so do my parents (US and German). Under certain circumstances Germany will allow it. My children ,for example, are also allowed both passports because they were born in the US to a German mother.
Actually, Sonnenwende is correct. She is an American, not a German born citizen and for her to become German according to the new citizenship rules changed in 1999 and effective since 2000. As the spouse of a German citizen, which I believe she is, she must live 3 years in Germany as a resident and the marriage must be at least two years old.
If she were to apply for naturalization to become a German citizen, she must either renounce her American citizenship or it will automatically be considered defunct upon her attaining naturalization.

You cannot apply your situation to hers, nor that of your children as they aren't the same situation. Your children are automatically considered German citizens no matter where in the world they were born because you're a German citizen.
Germany indeed does not allow naturalized citizens to retain foreign citizenship. Sonnenwende is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,903,002 times
Heh, well, I would take up German citizenship (and that tasty EU citizenship that goes taging along with it) in a red hot second if they allowed me to keep my US citizenship. Unfortunately, that's just not going to happen unless there is some type of change in the law. I doubt there will be though.

LOL, wait, this thread was about Mexico, right?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,991,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Heh, well, I would take up German citizenship (and that tasty EU citizenship that goes taging along with it) in a red hot second if they allowed me to keep my US citizenship. Unfortunately, that's just not going to happen unless there is some type of change in the law. I doubt there will be though.

My mother and her brother took out Irish citizenship based on family ties. They both have Irish and American citizenship, therefore EU passports as well.
The nice thing about Irish citizenship for an American if you qualify is that you can keep your American citizenship too

Old 02-13-2007, 05:25 AM

55 posts, read 194,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post

I do think this was about Mexico. Regarding retiring, citizenship, visa's etc. check out Amazon.com. They have some great how to books on retiring or living in Mexico. NAFTA has made it possible to live in Mexico easier however there are many rules regarding US citizens. For instance you can only stay in Mexico 6 months on a visitors visa, if you want to stay longer you will have to provide proof of income. It is easier for a retiree on SS to live in Mexico since they can prove the income and will not have to work. Getting a job in Mexico will be difficult unless you a transfered through your US company.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM

609 posts, read 2,119,134 times
If you plan to stay in Mexico you will find it near impossible to get Mexican citizenship so fo not bother.
You can get a F1 visa good for a year then renewable for about $150. If you want to become a permanent resident a F3 visa.
There are local people to assist you with either. The F1 can be gotten is about a week.
I currently have a F1, got my first one when in Lago Chapalla and the second on when in San Miguel de Allende.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico