Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,907 times

Advertisements

Has anyone drove from San Antonio to Monterrey Mexico. Is there any issues with driving or is it better to fly.

I want to drive there for the weekend and come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 04:50 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
I think you are going to have some border issues I would not want to deal with so it might be better to fly at this point.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Either way, make sure you have a valid passport.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Fly......driving in the interior of Mexico is very risky. Big problem with banditos.....no kidding at all! Border towns are ok.....and flying to any of the major tourist spots are safe.....but the hotels even have warnings in the hotel info about bandits in outlying areas. Saftey in numbers!!! I wouldn't do it and I've traveled all over the world.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,432 times
Not to mention all the issues with getting insurance for Mexico and having to get a permit for your car, which takes a few weeks from what I remember...

Driving into Mexico takes some planning ahead....

Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Default Drive Mexico

I drive to Mexico several times a month, but to Baja CA not Monterrey. I have mexican insurance and except for some minor issues with police I have not had any problems.

Is Nuevo Laredo more dangerous then Tijuana?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
I drive to Mexico several times a month, but to Baja CA not Monterrey. I have mexican insurance and except for some minor issues with police I have not had any problems.

Is Nuevo Laredo more dangerous then Tijuana?
Monte.....I can't compare the two, but NL is ok. Most US citizens park on the US side and walk across the bridge. Lot's of shopping, dining, drinking.....just stay out of trouble!!! Anything near the border is pretty much ok. It's driving into the interior in remote stretches that are more risky. I'll look for the link with all the info needed to just "drive". It's not like it used to be.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:20 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
Yeah I don't know about the Tijuana area but I won't going into the NL right now not a really safe area with the drug war going on down there. Its not just happening in the "bad" areas of town that US people stay away from but all over the area. Some kidnappings etc. Funny but I asked a mom who's hubby is border patrol in that area if any of the border patrol lived in Laredo area and she said no. Live in Coutulla or futher away. There seems to be on enclave of agents that live over on the NW side of town that carpools down there for work.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 PM

174 posts, read 504,930 times
I haven't been there post 911, but previously it was definitely worth it to fly. Although, flying Aeroliteral can be a harrowing experience in its own right, I'm no fan of turbo-props.

I'm not up on the Bandito scare, but have read some accounts. That said, I know a guy who regularly drives from Belize to Dallas auto auctions and then back picking up cars for resell. Neither he nor his drivers have had any problems, but they drive straight through.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,766 times
I have driven many times to Monterrey from San Antonio and it is not too bad at all. Once you cross the border, be sure to get a car permit at the border. As far as the crime goes, it's bad in Nuevo Laredo as far as eye sores go, but not as bad as you think. I have not felt unsafe when I was in Mexico. I would definitely drive over flying. You do not need your Passport until January 2008 for driving. Just know the 10 pm news has to report something, so what better than another country?

Monterrey from Downtown to San Pedro is really nice, and the mountains are neat. Enjoy your trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico