Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 33,973 times

Advertisements

Due to a job transfer we had to leave Louisville in late 1999. Our new "home" was (and is) Memphis. As I became exposed to things Memphian I YEARNED for Louisville.

We just returned after our annual trip to Kentucky for Thunder Over Louisville. I have to admit I was stunned and disappointed about a variety of items. Let me preface by saying Louisville still beats Memphis by about 1,000 miles but in the same sentence let me also ask "what is going on?"

This time around we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Jefferson. We usually spend time on 4th Street and as we walked the maybe three blocks we were SWARMED with panhandlers asking for money. This was a real issue in Memphis a while back as well to the point you hated going downtown as you were blitzed by requests for "gimme some money." Now, I will say the Louisville panhandlers were less aggressive but they were a pain nonetheless. My son (walking back at a different time) reported he was hit up by three panhandlers in this same area. My particular favorite was the gentleman explaining to me how he "needed a beer" and "wanted to make a proposition" concerning it.

Memphis panhandling grew so bad around the Beale Street area local officals moved to stop it. Obviously the city wanted the tourists and visitors to have a good time and not have to deal with a bunch of bums/freeloaders. Is this an issue in Louisville and is the city planning on doing anything about it?

As mentioned we stayed at the Inn and saw warnings about "unsafe areas." Boy, that one hit home as I am always in arguments with people from Memphis bragging how safe Louisville is (was anyway.) Watched channel 32 News and saw one crime story after another. If friends from Memphis had been with us they would have snickered at me as I have been relentless in comparing Louisville and Memphis. The news and the panhandlers would have made them feel they were right back home in Memphis.

Did I miss something in the last few years or is it just my initial memories are faulty? We used to go downtown (late 90's) and never thought twice about safety. If you went further west things changed somewhat but the downtown area, as I recall, was fine.

I'd still move back to Louisville-Jefferson County in two seconds but was sure surprised this past weekend. Is crime growing worse in parts of the city including downtown?

Thanks

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-06-2021 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemehometooldham View Post
Due to a job transfer we had to leave Louisville in late 1999. Our new "home" was (and is) Memphis. As I became exposed to things Memphian I YEARNED for Louisville.

We just returned after our annual trip to Kentucky for Thunder Over Louisville. I have to admit I was stunned and disappointed about a variety of items. Let me preface by saying Louisville still beats Memphis by about 1,000 miles but in the same sentence let me also ask "what is going on?"

This time around we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Jefferson. We usually spend time on 4th Street and as we walked the maybe three blocks we were SWARMED with panhandlers asking for money. This was a real issue in Memphis a while back as well to the point you hated going downtown as you were blitzed by requests for "gimme some money." Now, I will say the Louisville panhandlers were less aggressive but they were a pain nonetheless. My son (walking back at a different time) reported he was hit up by three panhandlers in this same area. My particular favorite was the gentleman explaining to me how he "needed a beer" and "wanted to make a proposition" concerning it.

Memphis panhandling grew so bad around the Beale Street area local officals moved to stop it. Obviously the city wanted the tourists and visitors to have a good time and not have to deal with a bunch of bums/freeloaders. Is this an issue in Louisville and is the city planning on doing anything about it?

As mentioned we stayed at the Inn and saw warnings about "unsafe areas." Boy, that one hit home as I am always in arguments with people from Memphis bragging how safe Louisville is (was anyway.) Watched channel 32 News and saw one crime story after another. If friends from Memphis had been with us they would have snickered at me as I have been relentless in comparing Louisville and Memphis. The news and the panhandlers would have made them feel they were right back home in Memphis.

Did I miss something in the last few years or is it just my initial memories are faulty? We used to go downtown (late 90's) and never thought twice about safety. If you went further west things changed somewhat but the downtown area, as I recall, was fine.

I'd still move back to Louisville-Jefferson County in two seconds but was sure surprised this past weekend. Is crime growing worse in parts of the city including downtown?

Thanks
I would attribute the panhandlers to the economy. There are more of them everywhere.

As for the crime, a lot of major cities are seeing rises in crime. Heck on my block in "safe surburban" Alexandria, VA there were 2 murders, 2 stabbing incidents, Several car break-ins in 2008 alone (including 7 in my own parking lot in one night).

Seeing as i dont live in Louisville yet, the only thing i can really tell you that the rising crime worries you saw arent germane to Louisville thanks to the horrid economy.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-06-2021 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Quote formatting

Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 33,973 times
We used to live in Alexandria--years ago. We lived off Franconia Road at Rose Hill Drive when I was going to school at George Washington University. It was a quiet suburban area--have not been back there for years.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Our D-in-law works downtown. She is back to driving there rather than taking TARC from Oldham County because of the pan-handlers. It is a very sick society that we live in.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,757 times
Downtown is still a safe area, but like anywhere, you have to be aware of your surroundings. It is still true the west end isn't as safe as downtown or areas east. i would say the reason you saw more panhandlers is due partially to the economy, and because it was thunder weekend and they knew 700,000+ people would be downtown so they could get more money. in 10 years of living here, and going downtown at least once a month, i have only encountered a handful of panhandlers. i think louisville did pass some sort of ordinance limiting how "aggressive" panhandlers could be a while back.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Our D-in-law works downtown. She is back to driving there rather than taking TARC from Oldham County because of the pan-handlers. It is a very sick society that we live in.
Tom, please tell me, since when, is it "sick" for poor people to beg politely for money? You claim to be a Christian? Doesn't your bible speak of these kinds of folks? Even my agnostic heart sees through this double talk.

To the OP, your prejudice is shining through. Absolutely do not equate panhandling with crime. It is not a crime for poor people to beg for money. However, as noted above, I have noticed an increase in panhandling in downtown Louisville as the economy has worsened. I have lived in Louisville for four years, and due to a job offer too good to pass up, I will be relocating, but I will always be fond of the area and will talk it up when I move. Louisville is very safe, and I wouldn't say Louisville is dangerous because of three polite panhandlers and some sensational crime reports by WLKY (one of the most sensational and junky news stations I have EVER seen in any top 50 DMA market).

I was proud to be a resident of downtown Louisville with 700,000 people on my front porch and seeing the city alive with activity. It truly felt like a big city last night, and if that means a few more panhandlers who are either poor or likely mentally handicapped be it organically or by drugs and alcohol, then so be it. By the way, the hotels in east downtown see more panhandled than those in the heart of downtown due to their proximity to Wayside Homeless Shelter (which is a wonderful place to have in our community).

Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemehometooldham View Post
We used to live in Alexandria--years ago. We lived off Franconia Road at Rose Hill Drive when I was going to school at George Washington University. It was a quiet suburban area--have not been back there for years.
That area is still very quiet and safe, very underrated if you asked me. I live in between Edsall and Duke St W of Van Dorn St (four miles from your old house.) I wonder if it has always had a reputation.

Back on topic, I would rather have poor folks asking and begging me for money rather than having them rob me for it. Sometimes i'll throw them a dollar of two.

Quote:
Driving wont stop a panhandler. Every saturday after i get off work there is a guy or girl at the intersection of two major commuter routes panhandling, i guess they get good exposure and get a few dollars thrown at them out of cars' windows. I also had a woman with a baby try to panhandle me after i had just parked in a shopping center. She knocked on my window and i just pulled out and parked in another space. You do not touch my car under any circumstances if you want me to do something for you and the baby aint helping you either.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
As far as crime is concerned - bad economic times always see an upturn in crime. I think the way the police department is being managed is another thing. The recent articles in the CJ exposed that police often do not show up for court which results in many criminals being set free. This truly should be on the backs of the chief and the mayor. As a result of the articles, the police chief issued a benign, politically correct statement that promised no changes. If the police department is ineffective in one area, they are probably ineffective in others as well. A well run police department would help decrease crime here in Louisville.

As far as panhandlers are concerned, if they bother you, don't stay where they are. There are plenty of places (the majority of Louisville and environs) where there are no panhandlers.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
The OP says that they turned on 32 news and saw crime after crime report, I saw the same news and didn't see that. What did I miss?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM

257 posts, read 881,184 times
i've learned from sociology classes, and as people have mentioned above, that it is a clear fact that a recession causes crime to increase everywhere. people get restless and tend to turn to violence easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area