Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2021, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,002 times

Advertisements

Hi there, My husband and I (and our Lab) recently moved to Louisville about 4 months ago and so far we love it! We currently rent in Butchertown but signed on to a 6 month lease in order to buy a house after we moved and got our bearings for a bit.

We are looking at a home in Irish Hill (off Baxter on Hull St) and since its a little off the beaten path was wondering what you all think in terms of safety.

We also like to walk and bike and I like that there is a residential feel to walk around on the streets around there (Payne/Rogers etc) but it also feels kind of like you are 10-15 min walking away from everything which has its pros and cons. Would love and appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 10:08 PM

7,073 posts, read 16,768,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoLou33 View Post
Hi there, My husband and I (and our Lab) recently moved to Louisville about 4 months ago and so far we love it! We currently rent in Butchertown but signed on to a 6 month lease in order to buy a house after we moved and got our bearings for a bit.

We are looking at a home in Irish Hill (off Baxter on Hull St) and since its a little off the beaten path was wondering what you all think in terms of safety.

We also like to walk and bike and I like that there is a residential feel to walk around on the streets around there (Payne/Rogers etc) but it also feels kind of like you are 10-15 min walking away from everything which has its pros and cons. Would love and appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Very safe. A friend lives nearby in Clifton and zero issues. That said, it IS a city. So going up Baxter you will occasionally see some sketch balls and homeless and hear about some crimes. But I have not heard of any homeowner there a victim of violent crime. If you like a house, buy it. You can send me the address if you want and I will review the block, or get a good realtor!

Old 05-09-2021, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,002 times
Thanks so much for your response! This is very helpful!

Old 05-10-2021, 11:21 PM

7,073 posts, read 16,768,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoLou33 View Post
Thanks so much for your response! This is very helpful!
If you need a good realtor just let me know. My biggest worry in Irish Hill would be overpaying, not safety. It has been 100% gentrified, and they are adding flips right and left. There are a few "longtime" city redneck types left, but its almost exclusively hipsters, yuppies, and young families now. There's a few working class factory type workers left, but unfortunately crazy prices are forcing the last ones out.

The areas where safety is more of a concern east of 65 are Smoketown, and to a lesser degree Shelby Park. Overall they are now 90% safe, but unlike Irish Hill, you are going to hear about a shooting in those neighborhoods especially Smoke town every few months. That said, I have never heard of them targeting an innocent person. And even with this, before Smoketown started gentrifying circa 2015, it had shootings every few weeks. Now there is maybe one major one every few months.

The cutoff is currently the Logan Street Market and Logan Street. Still lots of good areas west of that, but areas east of that, for better or worse, are 100% gentrified.

The sad reality of urban America today is EVERY top 50 city is going to unfortunately have some areas where gangs roam and thus bullets sometime fly sadly. The major major by far occurence of that is west of 9th street and also west of Taylor Boulevard in the southern reaches of the city.

I am not getting into politics here but until we elect real leaders, this gangbanger type will roam freely in most cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: