Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,106 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts about the Shively area and around Southern HS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 05:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndTimeinKY View Post
What are your thoughts about the Shively area and around Southern HS?
meh. Okolona is better ( more immigrants). Shively will get worse before better unfortunately. Way too many better areas. If you want that age of homes for cheap, Beechmont is a way better option.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:50 AM

342 posts, read 320,412 times
I am a Louisville native and moved away for 17 years and moved back in 2006. I think it's a cool city, and last summer's social unrest was very sad and much needed in the drive for equality, but it is not representative of Louisville's crime rate as a whole if you look at it over the past five years. I still feel that Louisville is safe. I take adequate precautions and I don't worry about things I cannot control. I have lived in Los Angeles and traveled extensively so I feel I'm savvy enough to take care of myself. The entire country had social unrest last year. I feel very safe where I live in the suburbs, near Middletown. To answer the original question from the OP, I originally lived in Shelbyville on five acres when I moved back, and that's definitely a great area to look at if you want some space between houses and affordable homes. It is in Shelby County. Simpsonville, which is just a notch closer to Jefferson County, which is where Louisville is located, is another great option. As you drive toward Louisville on Shelbyville Road from Simpsonville, you will see subdivisions that are filled with lovely homes, and they have options $400K and below. Some are new construction, others have been there longer. This is considered the "Far East End" of Jefferson County and it's a nice option and still only takes about 25-30 minutes to drive to downtown. As others have mentioned, you can also look at Oldham County homes, and you should also consider Henry County. They have nice developments going in there, too, at last look. Mount Washington in Bullitt County is just about 10 miles down Bardstown Road from Fern Creek and it's very nice and peaceful, too. You can definitely find nice homes there in your price range. It's just a few miles over the county line from Jefferson County.

Anyway, hope this helps. I have made my own plans to move from Louisville in five years when my son is out of high school, but that's because I would like to relocate for pre-retirement so that I can live in the desert again, or around mountains, and in a more liberal political climate (the poster who said Louisville is very liberal surprised me - I don't find it to be so). Not to turn this into a political conversation, just to give you my info in full disclosure. This is a red state and I would prefer to retire to a blue area.

Good luck to you in your search, wherever it may lead you!

Old 09-04-2021, 09:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
This thread is about pretty neighborhoods in the greater Louisville area, which has nothing to do with politics. All future posts in this thread will be deleted if politics is mentioned, regardless of what else it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area