Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-thirties with two small children, born and raised in Louisville. We have lived out of state for approximately 7 years and are hoping to move back in the next year or so. My hope is to move to the Highlands area, but I've heard it's almost impossible to get a house, as anything on the market is under contract almost immediately. We would be looking in the $450,000-$550,000 range. Any general info on the current housing market there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga2Ky View Post
My husband and I are in our mid-thirties with two small children, born and raised in Louisville. We have lived out of state for approximately 7 years and are hoping to move back in the next year or so. My hope is to move to the Highlands area, but I've heard it's almost impossible to get a house, as anything on the market is under contract almost immediately. We would be looking in the $450,000-$550,000 range. Any general info on the current housing market there?
That's a bit overstated. You're not moving to San Francisco. If you check Zillow, Redfin and Realtor.com, you will find some in that price range, but depending on what you're looking for in an actual home (rather than a budget range), there's much more inventory in the $300k+ range than there would be at $450k+. At $450k+, yes you're getting into more exclusive territory and the picking will be more slim.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,857 times
The Highlands are desirable and some might argue the 'showplace' neighborhood of Louisville. The prices are inflated compared to other areas but there is plenty for less than you want to spend. We will be putting our house up in a very nice area for only about 225k. Not trying to shill the house, just saying thats what the comps are on my block. If you like the Highlands, you will like lots of Crescent Hill too. Check that area out too . . .

Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
That's a bit overstated. You're not moving to San Francisco. If you check Zillow, Redfin and Realtor.com, you will find some in that price range, but depending on what you're looking for in an actual home (rather than a budget range), there's much more inventory in the $300k+ range than there would be at $450k+. At $450k+, yes you're getting into more exclusive territory and the picking will be more slim.
Have you seen the market lately? That is not overstated at all. If you want a renovated, 3000 sq ft, 4/3 in Cherokee Triangle, you will pay at least 500k. Sure, you can find a decent Highlands house for 300k, but it will likely be under 2000 sq ft or need lots of work. The housing inventory is at an all time low. I suggest you get a good realtor. If you PM me, I will recommend you some.

1209 Cherokee Rd is literally my dream house....if you like it, you better act quick bc it will sell soon and probably well over 600. It is move in immaculate:

1209 Cherokee Rd, Louisville, KY 40204 | Zillow

In contrast, here is a listing in your price range, Servo...

BIG difference

2021 Kenilworth Pl, Louisville, KY 40205 | Zillow

In between, there is this:

2021 Kenilworth Pl, Louisville, KY 40205 | Zillow

This beauty wont last much longer at 420k.

To me, this home is much more boring but many people like the upper Highlands as they are walkable to St Rapheal and St Agnus, the two main parochial schools in the area, and also to Lakeside.

2227 Valley Vista Rd, Louisville, KY 40205 | Zillow

1129 Everett Ave, Louisville, KY 40204 | Zillow

200-220 per sq ft for a renovated Highlands home is not uncommon. So servo, for 350, you will likely get a home that is not truly in the Highlands, needs tons of work, or is under 2000 sq feet with few upgrades.

40205 is the 25th HOTTEST zip in the USA.

This Louisville ZIP code is one of the 'hottest' in the nation - Insider Louisville

Louisville was recently named the 8th most expensive city to spend new years in...dont get me wrong, this place is dirt cheap, but the secret is out!

Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Have you seen the market lately? That is not overstated at all. .

40205 is the 25th HOTTEST zip in the USA.

This Louisville ZIP code is one of the 'hottest' in the nation - Insider Louisville

Louisville was recently named the 8th most expensive city to spend new years in...dont get me wrong, this place is dirt cheap, but the secret is out!

Wow

I'm 40205! I might have to re-check those comps!
Crazy!

Old 12-11-2015, 03:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
There are more affordable areas on the edges of the Highlands. You could find cheaper houses in neighborhoods like Irish Hill, Original Highlands, or Germantown.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are more affordable areas on the edges of the Highlands. You could find cheaper houses in neighborhoods like Irish Hill, Original Highlands, or Germantown.
I went to many Deer Park neighborhood meetings, and Louisville 20/20 planning session and the only negative about this area is--given the amount of complaints--illegal student rentals are starting to proliferate. It would be good if a potential buyer is aware of the rental situation in a lot of Highlands areas. I am close to Bellarmine and have had a lot of problems. I guess these 'problems' are better than shootings and stuff, but it can wear on your nerves after a while. I dont think 4 and 5k houses in Cherokee have these issues, though

Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
We do like to party in the ville.

I was mainly talking about the OP's request of looking for a home in a price range and saying "the highlands" and giving no other information. Instead of assuming what type of home that meant, it'd be better to state what features and benefits of a home in the area that they're looking for. Yeah, if you want to be in Cherokee, that's not going to be easy, but being in "the highlands" doesn't have the same restriction. If I had a $550k budget, I'd find an older house in the $300's and renovate the heck out of it to my specs with that extra $250k and I'd have a pretty awesome house.

And yeah dude I've seen the market lately because I was just house searching myself back over Thanksgiving.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What did the "un-original" Highlands used to be called? I mean, was there a another name for the area from Winter/Grinstead over to Trevalian? Now its all just "Highlands", but I see reference to "original" Highlands and wonder about it

Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
What did the "un-original" Highlands used to be called? I mean, was there a another name for the area from Winter/Grinstead over to Trevalian? Now its all just "Highlands", but I see reference to "original" Highlands and wonder about it
Not sure, what I've read says the area went by several names: Briar Patch, New Hamburg, and simply "the Highlands". I guess as other neighborhoods also took on the greater Highlands name so they needed to differentiate their small neighborhood from the greater area.

I lived in a Spartan studio apartment in O H in 2004. The housing there is diverse, lots of shotgun houses and lots of large mansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: