Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,532 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking for employment with Bollinger and they have openings in Lockport. We live in Birmingham. What is Lockport like? Are they are other areas closeby anyone would recommend over Lockport? Do they have a Walmart, many restaurants, shoppings? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 35,333 times
Lockport is a small town, one in a chain of small towns along a prominent bayou. We pass through Lockport on our way to Grand Isle, a beach town along the Gulf of Mexico. Lockport is really special, quiet, lots of cultural history and great food. Close enough to Houma and New Orleans for a day trip for shopping. Stores okay in the immediate area, Houma has lots and lots of stores.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,522 times
Smile Lockport is cool !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Resident View Post
My husband is looking for employment with Bollinger and they have openings in Lockport. We live in Birmingham. What is Lockport like? Are they are other areas closeby anyone would recommend over Lockport? Do they have a Walmart, many restaurants, shoppings? Thanks!
I grew up in Lockport. Lived there 27 years. I now live in Houma, La.,15 miles away. Lockport is small, quite and no crime!!!!! Close to New Orleans, Houma and Baton Rouge. I would move back but wife says no. Also, nice schools.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,810 times
I live in Houma, Louisiana. My recommendation is for you to live in/near Houma, and not down on da' bayou. Bayou Lafourche is the waterway running right through town, by the way.

If you aren't from da' bayou, then you'll have a hard time fitting in. Plain and simple. Of course, once you become acquainted with the local's, you'll be able to appreciate the difference of the "cajun" culture.

Be prepared for a dirty area though. There are old boats rotting away in people's yards. Shrimp boat nets hanging from posts and old homes. It is a fairly poor community made up of shrimpers, crabbers, and offshore workers.

Lockport is apart of a continuous stretch of towns that run along the banks of Bayou Lafourche. You have Lockport, CutOff, Galliano then Golden Meadow.

P.S. don't you dare speed in Golden Meadow, Two m.p.h over the limit you WILL get a ticket!

If you are looking for a small town place to live, then Lockport is fine. If you need more city life; i.e.: Home Depot, a mall, bars, restaurants, etc., then you should do as I stated in the beginning of this post. You should consider Houma instead.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:59 PM

109 posts, read 365,516 times
I've seen what youre talkin about bob, but all in all, it's still a clean town, the people for the most part seem to keep it clean. I just wouldn't live there for fear of bayou lafouche flooding its banks in a storm.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 21,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBOSS View Post
I've seen what youre talkin about bob, but all in all, it's still a clean town, the people for the most part seem to keep it clean. I just wouldn't live there for fear of bayou lafouche flooding its banks in a storm.
my sister-in-law lives near bollinger--- lockport is a small place and quiet--some small stores and mom and pop places-- nice school-- but the main shopping is in houma ( city living ) but houma is where u will end up for everything including wally world

Old 05-31-2007, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 23,118 times
Default Lockport La

I just recently moved to Lockport from Baton Rouge. I personaly like it out here. It's quiet, open, country, and the people here are very nice. It's a big change from the city life. Best thing ( NO traffic) All the roads lead into one another.The schools are good, Wal-mart from me is 3 mins away. But if i need to go shopping (big time) Houma is about 30 mins away , New Orleans is 35 mins. away, Baton rouge is an Hour & 20 mins away. I myself well I'm a coonass, and love Cajun/country life. Its the type of place you can leave your doors unlocked. If anyone was considering moving out here I would say Do It. Its a great place to raise your kids , and that is why I'm here now to raise mine.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 38,330 times
Default Lockport is very nice

Lockport is a very nice community; familiar with it for over 40 years. You'll like it there.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,028 times
Default The Bayou is awsome

Last time I checked HOUMA has severals bayous running threw it and HOUMA has the gulf intercoastal water way runs threw it also. HOUMA is not a very clean place with run down housed and building in it. The traffic in Houma is unreal just like driving in NEW ORLEANS. So reflect in the mirror be four the fingers go typing.
https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
I live in Houma, Louisiana. My recommendation is for you to live in/near Houma, and not down on da' bayou. Bayou Lafourche is the waterway running right through town, by the way.

If you aren't from da' bayou, then you'll have a hard time fitting in. Plain and simple. Of course, once you become acquainted with the local's, you'll be able to appreciate the difference of the "cajun" culture.

Be prepared for a dirty area though. There are old boats rotting away in people's yards. Shrimp boat nets hanging from posts and old homes. It is a fairly poor community made up of shrimpers, crabbers, and offshore workers.

Lockport is apart of a continuous stretch of towns that run along the banks of Bayou Lafourche. You have Lockport, CutOff, [URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/city/Galliano-Louisiana.html"]Galliano[/URL] then [URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/city/Golden-Meadow-Louisiana.html"]Golden Meadow[/URL].

P.S. don't you dare speed in Golden Meadow, Two m.p.h over the limit you WILL get a ticket!

If you are looking for a small town place to live, then Lockport is fine. If you need more city life; i.e.: Home Depot, a mall, bars, restaurants, etc., then you should do as I stated in the beginning of this post. You should consider Houma instead.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,020 times
Wink ::bayou bob i beg to differ::

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Jersey girl born and raised. However, i met & feel in love with a Lockport boy. I have been living here for a few years now and i love it. I have had no problem fitting in or adjusting to the bayou lifestyle. I do not find Lockport to be dirty by any means. Maybe when the parade passes there might be beads and garbage on the streets. But within a few days that is cleared. The people are friendly and it has that small town everybody knows everybody feel. It's quiet and i haven't seen or heard of any major crime in Lockport. They have a Walmart close by & two supermarkets in town. And if you drive about 20mins. to Houma they have a strip with tons of stores & restaurants. I highly recommend Lockport as a settling spot!

-Jersey Girl <3'n the Bayou : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana