Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 02:35 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,717,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Every platform lets you do the same trades. In my mind, it is about the UI and how easy it is for me to look at the things I wish to look at.

I set up an eTrade account because Morgan Stanley gave me $$$ if I would open it and use it. Their hope is to get me to move assets from TD Ameritrade.

I wish it had more robust research available.
I have Power ETrade, ETrade Pro, Market Caster, Paper Trading, and Bloomberg live market news available to me, on my platform, it can be as detailed or simple as I like. I'm sure there are others out there that are just
as good but I'm used to this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 08:22 PM

8,295 posts, read 4,136,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I have Power ETrade, ETrade Pro, Market Caster, Paper Trading, and Bloomberg live market news available to me, on my platform, it can be as detailed or simple as I like. I'm sure there are others out there that are just
as good but I'm used to this one.
I'm beginning to think I'm a proverbial "old dog who can't learn new tricks."

Old 01-28-2024, 10:46 PM

7,725 posts, read 8,813,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I'm getting to know the platform and have some questions about all the little icons, seeing all quotes on all exchanges, ability to route equity orders, etc. Thanks.
There is a tab "Support" on the top of the screen when you are in ToS. Click on it during regular open hours and a tech rep will respond and answer your questions in a chat form. I did it a couple times.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:29 PM

14,564 posts, read 20,848,024 times
Quote:
Call & ask for free training. They sent me to a two-day training class in person. There were about 40 students and about 8 trainers.
Interesting where was the training held?

Quote:
Every platform lets you do the same trades. In my mind, it is about the UI and how easy it is for me to look at the things I wish to look at.
Bingo UI for it's user friendliness and how quickly I can get what is needed without dozens of settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Wouldn't hurt to watch the tutorial series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gJ...91D714FC3CDE21
I watched a video of about a minute on TOS watch list and was left with numerous questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Reasons... To keep ToS
1) IT support -trying to consolidate platforms
2) justification for buying TD
3) not alienate those familiar and preference for ToS

Probably a lot of $$$$ being spent on human factors / platform interface / customer psychology and preferences. They won't get it right, they seldom do.
Another BINGO. Leave them with what they are familiar with. I'm not sure why Schwab can't have two platforms like other firms. I'd pay a monthly subscription to EDGE and also $9.95 a trade and never call tech support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
There is a tab "Support" on the top of the screen when you are in ToS. Click on it during regular open hours and a tech rep will respond and answer your questions in a chat form. I did it a couple times.
I tried that and they can't see my screen so it was no help.

I don't think Schwab cares about how many people leave or reduce their activity. I'd like to see 100's or thousands call and request EDGE be kept.

Suppose your friend wanted to begin trading stocks. Are you (Schwab) going to throw them to the TOS platform?

I trade stocks and options and nothing else.

Here are screen shots. The two that look rather pleasant were both setup in under 2 minutes.
Then the last screen shows TOS and you tell me which one a person should prefer.

They have tried to make one screen hold everything and as a rep told me on the phone most of what is on TOS is "predefined" you can't drag, right click, etc. to get stuff. The best UI is shown on these two images of EDGE. Look at what I have at my fingertips in a matter of seconds.

A trade tab for watch list and trades of stocks or options or both at the same d--- time.
Then a technical tab for charts. Back and forth in a split second.
On the trade screen look at what I can see as far as options and stock on Apple. I see all of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone trading with ThinkorSwim software?-untitled.jpgffffff.jpgfffffffffffffffffffffff.jpg   Anyone trading with ThinkorSwim software?-untitled.jpgdddddddddddddd.jpgddddddddddd.jpg   Anyone trading with ThinkorSwim software?-untitled.jpgqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg  

Old 02-02-2024, 05:33 PM

27,829 posts, read 28,948,727 times
I’m currently traveling in the UAE and India. I’ve had no problems using ToS on my laptop with a pocket Wi-Fi. Also, the mobile ToS on my smart phone.

I just hope the data transmission is secure.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:10 PM

8,174 posts, read 12,916,298 times
Quote:

I watched a video of about a minute on TOS watch list and was left with numerous questions.

I don't understand why you didn't continue watching or google the numerous questions you had. I learned it by myself; I am sure you can too.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:55 PM

7,725 posts, read 8,813,121 times
Quote:
I tried that and they can't see my screen so it was no help.
You can share screen with them. They'll request and you give permission. I did that.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
You can share screen with them. They'll request and you give permission. I did that.
On one call it took the rep 2-3 minutes to "find" a setting. And one told me that most of TOS is predefined and can't be changed, right clicked or dragging. Of course Ameritrade customers have used it and many advanced traders on Schwab may want it. They could keep SSE for new accounts and any others who might prefer it. Without a company wide survey they'll never get the true numbers. Sad to kill the user friendly SSE.
TOS has the 9 tabs and each of those tabs have multiple tabs. Not a friendly user program.
I've looked at Interactive Broker's Trader Workstation and it looks interesting with just a quick look see.
Schwab does not care how many accounts they may lose to TOS. That in itself is troubling.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:50 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,717,078 times
Quote:
I'm beginning to think I'm a proverbial "old dog who can't learn new tricks."
For some odd reason, I doubt that very much.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What are you trying to do on TOS? I use the Active Trader charts for technical analysis.
I've looked over the numerous studies and yet to find Ichimoku Cloud.
And for moving averages yet to find where to choose the desired such as 200 day, 50 day, 20 day. I use all three. One well known technician uses the 20 day and watches for that average to turn up or down.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing