Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times

Advertisements

It was not that long ago when oil was trading in the $20's- the commodity cycle is blowing off for now and commodities can drop fast just as they rise fast. Oil would need to come down much further- now silver is starting to look interesting although it's not "there" yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,179,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
It was not that long ago when oil was trading in the $20's- the commodity cycle is blowing off for now and commodities can drop fast just as they rise fast. Oil would need to come down much further- now silver is starting to look interesting although it's not "there" yet.
Yep. Those who speculated on a rise are getting crushed (again) today. The rest of us enjoyed lower energy prices

Old 11-13-2014, 01:25 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
It's priced in US dollars like other commodities. When the US dollar rises sharply, it makes it more expensive abroad and lowers demand. To offset this, the price of oil will sometimes fall which will keep it constant in some currencies as it is doing in the Yen. OIL has been falling in lockstep with UDN and FXY which are ETF's for bearish dollar and yen/dollar bets, respectively.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:27 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
This is why I'm not buying into oil now...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/govt-t...--finance.html

Well, this and the charts are horrible. I have XLE as part of my long-term portfolio and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 11-13-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 02:16 PM

166 posts, read 163,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This is why I'm not buying into oil now...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/govt-t...--finance.html

Well, this and the charts are horrible. I have XLE as part of my long-term portfolio and that's good enough for me.
yes, charts are horrible. See UCO (Crude Oil ETF) on the chart below. Just a few days ago support set in October 2011, June 2012 and April 2013 was broken. Trend is clearly bearish. I would wait for further decline and I would expect further increase in volume. When I see at least 50% increase from the current volume I could assume that major player are starting to buy it. Then I may start to consider buying it also.

Chart Courtesy of marketvolume.com

Old 11-23-2014, 08:57 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I wouldn't touch OIL, but OIH is fine if you want to own oil service companies. I prefer XLE though.
I jumped in. A sizable chunk of OIH and some XLE.

This may be simplistic on my part, but having seen markets rise and fall in my 45 years, I have picked up on a few things. When a commodity (or asset class) plummets, and people are still saying it is going to go down to zero, or when a commodity (or asset class) rises, and people are still saying it is going up to infinity, it is time to buy, or sell, respectively.

I think within 2 years, we will see $100+ oil again.

PS Just curious, what don't you like about the OIL as apposed to OIH and XLE?

Old 11-23-2014, 03:10 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
I understand that the price of oil is expected to go lower over the next several months.

I don't trade oil (my niche is the stock market) but if I did I would short it right now.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:49 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I jumped in. A sizable chunk of OIH and some XLE.

This may be simplistic on my part, but having seen markets rise and fall in my 45 years, I have picked up on a few things. When a commodity (or asset class) plummets, and people are still saying it is going to go down to zero, or when a commodity (or asset class) rises, and people are still saying it is going up to infinity, it is time to buy, or sell, respectively.

I think within 2 years, we will see $100+ oil again.

PS Just curious, what don't you like about the OIL as apposed to OIH and XLE?
OIL is a falling knife in a downtrend, while OIH and XLE have formed bottoms. XLE is actually forming an uptrend if it holds.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:09 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
This is a very interesting article relating to OPEC and the price of oil. IMHO it is food for thought as we move forward in our thinking of what oil prices might/will be in the near future.

Sun sets on Opec dominance in new era of lower oil prices - Telegraph

Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
This is a very interesting article relating to OPEC and the price of oil. IMHO it is food for thought as we move forward in our thinking of what oil prices might/will be in the near future.

Sun sets on Opec dominance in new era of lower oil prices - Telegraph
That is my point exactly. Asset classes go up and down and back up again, yet every time there is a major fluctuation, there are articles about why THIS time, its different. THIS time, its going to stay down, or up, depending on what we are talking about.

5 years ago, the Dow was in the 6000s, and it was "going to go down to 2000 and stay there forever because America was over". "Outsourcing, jobs, the new normal, blah, blah, blah." Never happened

Another example, gold went from 700 to 1500 and was "supposed to hit 5000 an ounce" and stay that way because we were supposed to have hyperinflation from all the "money we were printing". That was going to be the new normal. Never happened.

Housing was going to go up forever. It didn't. Then it was going to go down forever. It didn't. The world was ending after the tech crash. I even remember in 1987 when the dow went from like 2500 down to around 1700, and the world was ending back then too, yet it still quadrupled over the next decade.

And every time, I end up wishing I bought more, or sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing