Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:36 AM

5,236 posts, read 4,707,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
A bit of a tongue in cheek response to such assertions:

The Best Response For When Anyone Calls Young People Lazy Today
After watching this video I am certain of one thing, most of America knows nothing about their national history. The Vietnam war was not a product of the boomers generation, it was the work of the old guard left over from WW2 that needed the $$$ that war represented, a definite holdover from those great money making days of previous wars. We were trapped into that war just like all young people have been throughout history. Corporate greed drives most wars, that is the fact and that is what has to change.

No "generation" of people are guilty of anything, well, maybe we all are a bit guilty of the ignorance of history. The statement made by the person posting the diatribe on the apparent lack of a work ethic on the part of young American workers is simply a singular view, and nothing else. It would be a long reach to make THAT statement attributable to any "generation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 PM

334 posts, read 718,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
True or False? Your opinion?
False, of course. Every generation blames the preceding generation for screwing everything up and the preceding generation blames the next generation for being lazy little turds.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,316,270 times
As the child of a boomer, yes, my parents destroyed me.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 AM

27 posts, read 34,553 times
Now that the baby boomers are on the verge of retirement, I wonder how have they planned for it.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:35 AM

30,931 posts, read 37,137,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJones26 View Post
Now that the baby boomers are on the verge of retirement, I wonder how have they planned for it.
Most have not planned well. Unfortunately, younger people aren't doing any better.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:15 PM

2,882 posts, read 5,910,601 times
I don't want to categorize every boomer (I'm 35, born in '78).

-The ones I've seen struggling financially for the last 5-10 years, they simply didn't PLAN. I think that word "plan", didn't occur to them back in 1983 or 1987. Living hand to mouth, or living pay check to pay check, it doesn't work over LONG - PERIODS - OF - TIME (i.e. 20 or 30 years).

At some point in your mid 30's, late 30's, early 40's, you need to sit down and PLAN.

My parents friends who are retired, it's like they planned everything all along. I.e. retirement accounts all set up. Wills, or a trust, the right insurance, etc.

The ones who aren't retired, they've lived in kind of a vacuous world. LOL, and some wonder why their kids are kind of lost.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM

15,217 posts, read 30,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
True the baby boomers are stealing but not nearly as much as the poor.
Before the boomers took over power positions, would it have been acceptable for a Dow Jones company like GE to not pay taxes?

Is that worse than a poor person collecting food stamps?

I'm asking this as a generally pull-yourself-up sorta guy. The same Fox News propaganda that has people believing the economy is bad when the stock market is running six years straight has people's anger grossly misdirected right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing