Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 05:52 AM

115 posts, read 249,042 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving north from Columbus, IN (our hometown) to an apartment.

What areas, these days, are sketchy in Indy?

We are retired…I would like to live around people my age, although the apartment complexes, by law, can’t share demographics. I do want to avoid 465 as much as possible.

Also considering Zionsville, Carmel, Fishers. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 07:30 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Avoid the east side for the most part and you’ll be OK.

RM

Old 07-04-2023, 07:25 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Apartments.com shows several senior living apartments, if that's what you're looking for: https://www.apartments.com/indianapo...4v400iJ03_58oO

There's one called Serenity Manor here on the east side not far from my house. I'm not familiar with this particular complex, but it's in a nice, quiet area close to Kroger, the post office, drug stores, restaurants and Community Hospital East. It's close to Shadeland, Emerson and Washington if you want to stay off the highway. The CityProtect interactive crime map shows little crime in the area.

https://cityprotect.com/map/filters?...iveDate=custom

Old 07-05-2023, 05:07 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I like the senior apartment building behind Target off 86th in Nora. I believe it is called Nora Commons on the Monon.

Reasons: Fairly new, senior residents, walk to Target, Whole Foods, Kroger across 86th, and lots of other things along 86th. Street light to get out of the shopping center. Oh, and a library branch within a block.

Crestwood North another over 55 has a big complex on 91st Street in the same area.
Pro: I like the apartments and the management. (Mom lives in Crestwood South).
Con: Need to use the complex bus or have a car. Walking limited to the complex area.

Be careful of apartments downtown due to the issues of resident age being much lower and sound due to construction.

I have lived in Indy for over 40 years and downtown for over 20. I would not consider any place east of downtown (although there might be pockets). I like Greenwood for a quieter life but not too aware of any senior apartments there.

Carmel has a whole lot of amenities for the families who live there. But I am not familiar with what is available. It would be the most "safe" although where we live in the inner city is also safe. I like walkability, close amenities, and various medical offices close.

What types of things, activities, shopping, etc. would you like to be closer to?

Old 07-06-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have lived in Indy for over 40 years and downtown for over 20. I would not consider any place east of downtown (although there might be pockets).
Based on what? The east side east of Emerson and south of 21st has a fraction of the crime that downtown does.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:47 AM

As I said there are pockets. It can vary block by block. Our area and that of several other historic areas are very quiet. I still would not recommend anyone coming from out of town without knowledge to try and find a "safe" apartment on the east side. Note that I did not recommend downtown either. It can be hit or miss with apartments and the cost is high.

You can get more statistics from the Indy.gov crime maps. It is an eye opener. I live within the interstate but our area and that of or neighbor historic neighborhood is very quiet. Now if you visit the Marathon Station 3 blocks away not so quiet. We address crime immediately within our neighborhood and have a good relationship with the police.

Google Indianapolis Crime Maps and it will take you to Indy.gov and the link to check out crime in any area.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:06 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
I have lived in Indy for over 40 years and downtown for over 20. I would not consider any place east of downtown (although there might be pockets).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Based on what? The east side east of Emerson and south of 21st has a fraction of the crime that downtown does.
I also live east of downtown, and I have lived here for 12 years.

I won't turn this into some sort of referendum on the east side of Indianapolis, but I don't think the near eastside (or the the eastside in general) is for everyone. That's just reality. However, I don't think crime is the biggest reason to not live on the east side. Yes, some parts have more crime than others. Most of it is targeted though, random street muggings are not common. Random shootings are not common. You're just not likely to be a violent crime victim in most of the near eastside.

I think in this case, OP would be better off in another part of town. We have senior communities, but they're geared more toward gov assisted and I am not sure that someone considering Carmel is going to be interested in gov assisted senior housing.

I think the suggestion for Nora is a good one in this case.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
As I said there are pockets. It can vary block by block. Our area and that of several other historic areas are very quiet. I still would not recommend anyone coming from out of town without knowledge to try and find a "safe" apartment on the east side. Note that I did not recommend downtown either. It can be hit or miss with apartments and the cost is high.

You can get more statistics from the Indy.gov crime maps. It is an eye opener. I live within the interstate but our area and that of or neighbor historic neighborhood is very quiet. Now if you visit the Marathon Station 3 blocks away not so quiet. We address crime immediately within our neighborhood and have a good relationship with the police.

Google Indianapolis Crime Maps and it will take you to Indy.gov and the link to check out crime in any area.
East of Emerson and south of 21st (which includes the senior apartment I mentioned) is a pretty big pocket. And yes, I've looked at crime maps like the one I linked to above--that's largely what my opinions are based on. Everyone I've ever talked to from that area has said they think it's a safe place.

Old 07-06-2023, 02:33 PM

I think Serenity Manor is the old Crestwood East complex that they sold. It is an older complex.

I did not suggest that one since it is not around anything of note and requires a drive to shopping and activities. The East side has not had the investment in things such as restaurants and shopping that the north and south sides have experienced. Washington Square is not the destination it once was and Shadeland is mostly just a large street with industrial activity to get from Point A to B.

Since Crestwood does not own it, I cannot comment on management issues. But I would prefer Crestwood North or South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis