Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:21 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
I don't understand why the law of supply and demand doesn't seem to work with restaurants. If you can't find enough staff, you need to raise your wages.

there was a big story in Phoenix today about this exact topic; since tourism and the snowbird invasion that is happening here this time of year brings BILLIONS of dollars here in fall /winter, the hospitality industry is panicking because they cant get people to work here either, even though our unemployment rate is as low as its ever been, and we are at 100% employment right now!

most restaurants are offering 1500 dollar or more "signing bonuses", and, even DAIRY QUEEN is offering STARTING WAGES of over 15 dollars an hour!

the hospitality industry is in big trouble right now, and throwing more money at people doesnt seem to be having much of an impact on the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 09:28 AM

4,656 posts, read 3,272,825 times
Good morning,

and yet, FORTUNATELY, Portillo's had absolutely no wait, and plenty of staff, and the food was delicious AND they DID serve me a beer while I was waiting!!!

HIP HIP HOORAY FOR PORTILLO'S!

Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM

Also, I took my daughter to Gurnee Mall yesterday. We stopped at Rainforest Cafe.

The grown up menu seemed substantially smaller than the last time I was in there, over a year ago.

And we waited a while for someone to come to greet us and seat us; and the woman that DID, it was her first day there! I was wondering: WHERE are all the staff???

SO she let us sit wherever we wanted. And then we were served by another gentleman, who informed me they were severely understaffed.

I asked to speak to the Manager and told her:

"In these hard times, I just wanted to share how happy I am to have been treated warmly and respectfully by Glenda and Christopher. Despite being understaffed, they have maintained a high level of professionalism and courtesy and attentiveness. And I applaud them for CHOOSING to remain in the work force despite the added work that falls on them, and how fortunate YOU are to have them as part of your team."

She wholeheartedly agreed with those sentiments and the benefit of the team she had, and agreed that we need to have more positivity in this world, especially in these hard times.

And before I left, I made sure Glenda and Christopher knew I shared strong feelings for them with their manager... And then I gave Glenda and extra $5.00 bill, and wished her the best success on a new journey.

Wishing YOU all the best, as well, my city-data.com family!

Old 10-27-2021, 10:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning,

and yet, FORTUNATELY, Portillo's had absolutely no wait, and plenty of staff, and the food was delicious AND they DID serve me a beer while I was waiting!!!

HIP HIP HOORAY FOR PORTILLO'S!
How did portillo’s have absolutely no wait? Any time I pass by one, it has a line around the parking lot. When I’ve been inside, it is also busy.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:09 AM

Ramen Addict, good afternoon!

Ahhhh, good question. I need to clarify:

There WAS a wait of cars. There was NO one at the register inside, so I was able to order immediately.

And the wait at the table, nonetheless, was certainly not extraordinary. I only had drank half the beer at most, when the food was ready.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:26 AM

85 posts, read 72,096 times
I was over kind of near that neck of the woods last weekend. We have friends in the Wauconda/Volo area and we had a get together for Sunday football. Everything seemed to be open like normal from my perspective. None of my friends mentioned anything about this either. There is also a friggin gigantic Woodman's that they opened up right off of 12 that was not there when I lived in the area. I stopped there to get some munchies to bring along and it might very well be the largest grocery store I have ever been in. And everything appeared to be well stocked. Sign was on the door for hiring employees at 16$ an hour. Looks like they are in the process of building some other retail locations right in that same corner as well.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:18 AM

RemoteInWisco, good morning!

Alright! A fellow Wisconsinite (I see you are an Illinois transplant, but that certainly is OK!). Thanks for jumping on here.

I wasn't even sure where La Grange, WI is! LOL

So it seems it is somewhat near Janesville, so I have to ask you: Have you been to the Prime Quarters there?

We used to have 2 in the Milwaukee area, and they both closed. I may have to take a road trip.

Have a great day!

Old 10-28-2021, 10:26 AM

85 posts, read 72,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
RemoteInWisco, good morning!

Alright! A fellow Wisconsinite (I see you are an Illinois transplant, but that certainly is OK!). Thanks for jumping on here.

I wasn't even sure where La Grange, WI is! LOL

So it seems it is somewhat near Janesville, so I have to ask you: Have you been to the Prime Quarters there?

We used to have 2 in the Milwaukee area, and they both closed. I may have to take a road trip.

Have a great day!
Don't feel bad, nobody knows where this place is when I tell them unless they look it up. Some people might be familiar with Lauderdale Lakes in the Summer time, but that is about it. Have been to PQ in Janesville a couple of times now. Interesting business model. Sort of a hybrid between steak house and Mongolian BBQ. Last time I was in was on a weekend and they had Prime Rib which I absolutely adore, especially with a little horseradish.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:51 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
If you can't find enough staff, you need to raise your wages.

Owners are well aware of this, but caught between raising wages; and being forced to then raise menu prices in the midst of already being charged more by their suppliers.
Honestly, restaurants are now deemed "non-essential".
There's plenty of leftover Covid relief $$, which is now being used for social programs; actually direct payments to poor people in neighborhoods most us avoid.
Sometimes the local bars have pretty good food, mine does; but this always comes down to the cook.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:51 AM

RemoteInWisco, I LOVED my times at Prime Quarters, and miss that place.

OK, I'll put the Janesville place on my list!

Have a good one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois