Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 04:45 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
The prosecution has a 3-D version of the whole house that can be used at the trial. One viewer in a livestream of the demolition (out of Florida!) commented that the jury would have been able to judge, on the site, how much you can hear from one floor to the next, which was a good point IMO, but I don't think jurors can just walk around on their own and do their own "investigation" during a walk-through. Anyway, it's done.
Hearing from one floor to the next is irrelevant, some people are extremely deep sleepers. Pretty certain my husband could sleep through a freight train coming through our house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 09:39 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I find it very interesting that they demolitioned the house under the cover of darkness of night. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but they sure are doing their best to feed the people who are.
The timing of the demolition made perfect sense to me.
Demolishing a house can be very dangerous business, and that house had drawn so much world-wide attention for so long there it was bound to attract a lot of onlookers if the demolition date had been made public.
Done in the early morning, there was no crowd and no interference. The place was quickly knocked down, and the longest part of the job, hauling away the rubble, took place on empty streets. So no souvenir hunters got the opportunity to take away pieces of it.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:43 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Hearing from one floor to the next is irrelevant, some people are extremely deep sleepers. Pretty certain my husband could sleep through a freight train coming through our house!
It's often difficult to tell where a sound in a home comes from too.

In college houses like this, the residents all become very used to people coming and going at all hours.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:34 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The timing of the demolition made perfect sense to me.
Demolishing a house can be very dangerous business, and that house had drawn so much world-wide attention for so long there it was bound to attract a lot of onlookers if the demolition date had been made public.
Done in the early morning, there was no crowd and no interference. The place was quickly knocked down, and the longest part of the job, hauling away the rubble, took place on empty streets. So no souvenir hunters got the opportunity to take away pieces of it.
The date, though not the time, was well publicized.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:46 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
The date, though not the time, was well publicized.
That brings the question, why did they publicize the date at all? They could have just announced that it would be torn down at some point over the winter break. But to publicize an exact date and then tear it down the night before, was a pretty clear attempt to mislead the news media.

It appears to me that they just wanted to tear the house down in the darkness of night, and hope that no one would notice, and everyone would just forget it was ever there. Well I don't think it's going to be that simple, unfortunately.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
That brings the question, why did they publicize the date at all? They could have just announced that it would be torn down at some point over the winter break. But to publicize an exact date and then tear it down the night before, was a pretty clear attempt to mislead the news media.

It appears to me that they just wanted to tear the house down in the darkness of night, and hope that no one would notice, and everyone would just forget it was ever there. Well I don't think it's going to be that simple, unfortunately.
It wasn't torn down in the night. It was first thing in the morning, and some media was there.

Old 01-03-2024, 01:14 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:

Cleosmom is right: it was early in the morning. I watched it in livestream (the one out of Florida) around 8 am--and at 8 am it is still dark in NID! They had guards posted so people wouldn't walk away with souvenirs from the debris.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Cleosmom is right: it was early in the morning. I watched it in livestream (the one out of Florida) around 8 am--and at 8 am it is still dark in NID! They had guards posted so people wouldn't walk away with souvenirs from the debris.

Sunrise this time of year is around 7:30...

Old 01-03-2024, 06:09 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Sunrise this time of year is around 7:30...
Yes, and the house was pretty much gone by that time. Anybody who thinks its normal for demolition crews to tear a house down before 7:30 am, don't know very much about demolition work. That's the time crews normally start work, not finish it. In most places there are regulations against even doing that type of work before 8:00 am.

There was nothing normal about the decision to start work that early. This was a clear attempt to throw off the news media. But all they are accomplishing is to feed the conspiracy theorists, who will be going on about this for years to come. I think it was a very bad move on the part of the University.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, and the house was pretty much gone by that time. Anybody who thinks its normal for demolition crews to tear a house down before 7:30 am, don't know very much about demolition work. That's the time crews normally start work, not finish it. In most places there are regulations against even doing that type of work before 8:00 am.

There was nothing normal about the decision to start work that early. This was a clear attempt to throw off the news media. But all they are accomplishing is to feed the conspiracy theorists, who will be going on about this for years to come. I think it was a very bad move on the part of the University.
If they wanted to throw off the news media, they simply wouldn't have let the date be known-it was well publicized.

This was an attempt to avoid a large number of lookie lous that would be too lazy to get up that early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho