Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 938 times

Advertisements

I am from Seattle, hubby is from Boise. We currently live just outside Boise near the Oregon border. We are tired of the hot summers not too concerned about the winters. We were both in Seattle for a couple of years, but hubby couldn't handle the cloudy days. I am looking for insight comparing Moyie Springs to Seattle as far as cloudy days are concerned. Is it similar to Seattle, I know it's not to Boise, but we are searching for in between. Would love hearing from someone familiar with both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,029,683 times
Sandpoint cloudy day statistics (from the City-Data website). They don't have info for Moyie Springs, or for Bonners Ferry , so Sandpoint is as close as I could find on City Data.

Seattle cloudy day statistics (also from the City-Data website)

From another website I found 170 sunny days per year for Moyie Springs, vs. 152 per year for Seattle. The U.S. average is 205, so both are below average.

Dave

Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM

551 posts, read 808,749 times
Here's a link to a comparison chart:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,990,208 times
In the 70's, I lived a little ways east into Montana. Moyie Springs isn't a place of great winter sunshine, sorry.

Less cloudy than Seattle, but winters have a lot of clouds and foggy days. Even quite a few in the summer.

On a personal note: You can still find some of the old road into the canyon for the old bridge that used to cross the river as part of Highway 2. Ask old timers about it. You might even find some pictures. My folks lost a friend who went off the road in a truck on that part of the road in the winter in the 50's. They lost another friend, who was killed when she jumped out of the logging truck her husband drove when he spun out going up a steep hill in the winter just a few miles up from 2 on 508 (Yaak River Road). In the winter of 78 or 79 (don't remember which), my dad spun out going up up a hill on the same road, but this time quite a few miles farther up, just east of the Upper Ford road intersection, he slid down the hill most of the way but could not keep the 2-1/2 ton truck on the road to the bottom and they rolled a few times before hitting the bottom.

Neither was seriously hurt. The truck just missed (by 5 feet) getting the cab crushed, and instead, the snow gave it a soft landing at the bottom (upside down).

Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM

6,269 posts, read 5,094,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
It looks like one of these 2 areas may be our new home in the near future! We
currently live in Salmon, but the economy here is getting more difficult. If you could choose one of these towns which would you choose? We love, love the outdoors, but I also need to be able to secure employment so I am not so bored and all my experience lies in retail. Your feedback would be great, and if you know where to look for rentals. Thank you!
Jadbad, can I ask what you mean by "the economy is getting more difficult" ref Salmon? My husband and I have been mulling over Salmon for a bit. We just moved to Idaho last year so are in no big rush to move again - but both buying a home and buying a small piece of recreational property has come up a few times in conversation.

You said that you are in retail - has tourism taken a hit over the past few years (and is that what you mean by the downswing in the local economy?). Thanks.

ETA: whoops. Just saw that the OP was two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho