Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:32 AM

121 posts, read 738,017 times

Advertisements

The July 4th fireworks display in Idaho Falls, among the largest in the nation, is a major event for Idaho Falls. Approximately 100,000 people attend this event every year. Unfortunately, the traffic situation has gone from barely tolerable a few years ago to ridiculously aggravating. This seems to be due to two main factors that are completely avoidable:

The first problem is very poor traffic control. There is basically no one controlling the back streets close to the river. Why are all the cops always on the freeway and major highways when the most congestion is in the immediate vicinity of the fireworks? Every year I see many cops standing around the area just shooting the breeze instead of directing the massive tangles of traffic. The parking areas need major enforcement. A few calls from citizens in June to the public safety department reminding them of this issue may help.

Problem number two -
A large number of Idahoans (and most Utahans) can't drive! More accurately, they are very rude and inconsiderate drivers compared to many other states. I've lived here all my life but am always amazed at the consistent incompetence demonstrated in traffic. Many Idahoans refuse to yield to ANYTHING including emergency vehicles and, especially, pedestrians. They do not signal. They are chronic tailgaters. They wander back and forth from lane to lane, cutting in without warning. They pass on the right and drive slowly in the left lane. They will rarely let someone out of a congested parking area ahead of themselves.

Here's how to handle a heavy traffic event and make life easier for everyone:

1. Try to plan your escape when parking. It helps to make as many right turns as possible to avoid having to cross traffic. Park several blocks from the fireworks and walk in. You can easily cut your exit time in half by planning ahead. Locals should start planning their strategy in June. Visitors should maybe stick to the west side of the river close to the freeway.

2. If there is anyone directing traffic, cooperate with them. Pay attention. Do not try to back up or turn around. Do not give them the finger. Just be patient and move when directed.

3. When exiting a parking area and merging with a roadway or another stream of traffic where there is no traffic controller, TAKE TURNS! Do NOT cut someone off intentionally or race for position. Do NOT floor the accelerator and try to t-bone the car taking "your" spot. Do NOT hang your head out the window, screaming obscenities like some crazed redneck hillbilly. First the left car proceeds, then the right car, then the left car, etc. Now everyone is moving and making progress. See how simple? This is such an easy thing to do but it rarely seems to happen here.

The fireworks should be an enjoyable event. If everyone demonstrates a little cooperation instead of taking the usual "Hurray for me and to heck with you" attitude then everyone will get home safely, stress-free and most importantly, in one piece.

Last edited by CafeDelSol; 05-26-2007 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 08:42 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Not bad, but you forgot about carpooling rather than taking a handful of cars if you can get everyone down there in possibly one vehicle

Can I add another tip for the 4th of July? It's not a traffic one, but important. Leave your dogs at home!! Sure, not all are frightened of fireworks, however they hear things so much more intensely than we do and it's simply not fair to them! Every year there are countless dogs missing from the 4th and the ad usually starts out with "missing since 7/4 from IF greeenbelt area....."

Personally, I can see quite a bit from my home on the eastern edge of town so I stay home

Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 PM

14 posts, read 95,888 times
Default Where do you park for the fireworks?

This will be our first time viewing the fireworks. Where is the best place to park to make a quick get a way. We live in Rigby. Do people park at the Walmart and walk over or is that too far?

Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 PM

121 posts, read 738,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus A View Post
This will be our first time viewing the fireworks. Where is the best place to park to make a quick get a way. We live in Rigby. Do people park at the Walmart and walk over or is that too far?
You could try the area around Lindsay Blvd. Stay within a block or two of the entrance ramp, on the east side of the road, parked for right-hand turns only and you should be able to get right out. We've had good luck with that area for several years. We also head out on Broadway and south on Skyline to get away from the gridlock as fast as possible. It usually works well even though it's a roundabout way home.

If you can't get out in the first rush which last about 10-15 minutes, you may as well park it, kick back, turn on the music and relax for awhile because you probably won't be going anywhere soon. It sure beats fighting the idiots for pole position to race out of the parking lots.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Heh, some of us go east down town and look down watching the entire city. We've been down to the Greenbelt before so we like our little view from above

Don't forget the parade is earlier in the day. Does anyone know if they are still planning on changing the parade route?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 AM

14 posts, read 95,888 times
Where do you park? I just moved her last month so I am clueless to the downtown area. . What about by the LDS temple. Is that place crammed? The parade? Where is that at?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:55 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Talking New Activities This Year, New Parade Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus A View Post
Where do you park? I just moved her last month so I am clueless to the downtown area. . What about by the LDS temple. Is that place crammed? The parade? Where is that at?
Missus A - The parade route apparently has changed this year. Also, new this year are all day activities on the Greenbelt. So anything close to the Greenbelt on Memorial Dr. or east, will be full. The Media should have that info. If I can find a link, I will post it when I find it.

I honestly don't know where to recommend you park - I'd say anywhere you can find an empty spot! Idaho Falls is the hub for at least 330,000 people for medical, commercial, travel and many other services. People come from many states to see these fireworks.

Oh, also besides all the activities around the river, there is a field of flags on Bellin Road (west Idaho Falls). You might want to check that out. I think there traditionally is a parade/march or whatever the appropriate title is, from around Smitty's to the field of 1776 flags. I've never been able to see it personally, to my disappointment. Those who have, have raved about it.

I'm a bit encouraged that some, per their comments on this forum and elsewhere, don't believe the Idaho Falls 4th of July fireworks amount to much, as so many more people want to attend. Especially those from WY or UT who drive up for the well-known Idaho Falls celebration. Salt Lake City proper (not suburbs) traditionally doesn't spend their money on the 4th vs. the 24th fireworks. Provo has the huge Stadium of Fire display, but that's entirely different story.

The Idaho Falls fireworks are so popular guests book hotels 364 days in advance of the following year's fireworks. At least next year there will be two new hotels completed to offer more rooms to view the fireworks from the river.

Wow, can those who know the area imagine what it would be like to own a condo in the 13 condo tower being built at Broadway near Smitty's? The fireworks in 2008, should have viewers from many entirely new locations, including the new hotels, and condos on the riverfront.

The I.F. fireworks are far more fun and bigger than anything I've seen elsewhere in ID. Apparently, CDA has a big celebration, which I have not seen. However, a friend who has seen both, told me even the CDA gala doesn't equal in $ the amount spent on fireworks in Idaho Falls, nice as it is. Of course, I know there are forumers who will disagree, which is fine, but they shouldn't waste their time in this forum as this is for people who want to see the fireworks in Idaho Falls.

Missus A, do you know anyone well enough to carpool to the event? Also, check the local tv stations (KIFI and KIDK) for their activity calendars, as well as the Post Register. I believe ALL will list both the entirely NEW path for the parade and the NEW daylong activities, before the fireworks at dark. And the 1776 Flags on Bellin Road info as well.

Oh, I'll bet Idaho Falls Magazine, at Idaho Falls Magazine - The Magazine for Eastern Idaho's Way of Living probably will have the details you need. I'd recommend checking their website as they update it often with thorough information.

My personal favorite spot, is away from the Greenbelt. The eastern foothills provide excellent viewing not only of the Fireworks on the Greenbelt, but other smaller fireworks in surrounding areas.

Everyone be careful, have lots of fun and enjoy the holiday!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 40,946 times
We like to park north of McDermott field on North Boulevard. We walk the 8-10 blocks to the east side of the river. When we are done, we drive down N. Blvd., cross over Anderson and follow that road that goes around the back of town all the way over to BR Hwy 20, where we can hook onto Iona Rd and then North Yellowstone Hwy. By then the traffic is down and we get home in 25 minutes instead of 2 hours. When we lived in Idaho Falls, we rode our bicycles to the river. We were home in 10 minutes from the river.

Here are some tips:

Park as far away as you can walk.
Bring plenty of warm clothes. It may be 90 degrees in the day, but when the sun goes down it gets chilly, especially by the river and also especially if you got sun during the day. We wear shorts and t-shirts and carry sweats, jackets and blankets.
We also carry a pack chair and we bring a small cooler with sodas and don't forget your radio tuned to 97.3.
TAKE OUT YOUR OWN TRASH!

Old 07-03-2007, 04:28 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Thumbs up Oh, Those Are Good Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajabnd View Post
We like to park north of McDermott field on North Boulevard. We walk the 8-10 blocks to the east side of the river. When we are done, we drive down N. Blvd., cross over Anderson and follow that road that goes around the back of town all the way over to BR Hwy 20, where we can hook onto Iona Rd and then North Yellowstone Hwy. By then the traffic is down and we get home in 25 minutes instead of 2 hours. When we lived in Idaho Falls, we rode our bicycles to the river. We were home in 10 minutes from the river.

Here are some tips:

Park as far away as you can walk.
Bring plenty of warm clothes. It may be 90 degrees in the day, but when the sun goes down it gets chilly, especially by the river and also especially if you got sun during the day. We wear shorts and t-shirts and carry sweats, jackets and blankets.
We also carry a pack chair and we bring a small cooler with sodas and don't forget your radio tuned to 97.3.
TAKE OUT YOUR OWN TRASH!
You have some EXCELLENT ideas, Bajaband. Bringing the warmer clothes (or I know may who take extra blankets - some to sit on and then evetually some to wrap around them) for the same reason.

Your comment about bringing what one can carry in and carry out is superb! If only everyone were that responsible.

Depending on how long you thing you'll be there, Missus A, take enough water for you and everyone going (or sodas if you prefer).

My understanding is there will be day long activities on the Greenbelt and there will be food available. But, who knows the price and extra water in particular never hurts. That's the east side of the river.

The radio is a must.

Maybe after you go to the firworks you can tell us your experience.

I've also seen the fireworks from the west bank up close too. Friends of my swear north near the John's Hole bridge (Highway 20) can't be beat. Also, with so many old bldgs having been moved for Taylor's Crossing etc., some enjoyed watching more south closer to the Pancheri bridge. Both of those location won't put you as close to the fireworks, but do make carrying small children who have fallen asleep or just making sure you can leave at a reasonable time much easier.

Depending on what you want to do with your day, several of the east bank restaurants (especially the Sandpiper, Outback and the one in the Shilo) all late dinner guests to sit on their lawn area or inside.

NO pets - they can't take the noise and you probably want more freedom to just have fun.

I hope you and everyone else has a lot of fun or an ejoyable day tomorrow whatever you do!!!!

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-03-2007 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Got my directions 100% opposite. Had to correct.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
NO pets - they can't take the noise and you probably want more freedom to just have fun.

MSR
I cannot stress how important this statement is!! Too many dogs have been lost while their owners sit and enjoy the show, read: distracted while the dogs are frightened beyond comprehension.

A dogs hearing is much more acute than ours and it is not even fair to consider allowing them to nearby. Leave them at home, preferably inside with a TV or radio on to help squelch the noise somewhat and to keep them company.

For those who may be reading this and not heed the advice given, The Post Register will gladly run a free lost/found ad for one week's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls