Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 01:59 PM

18 posts, read 91,507 times

Advertisements

Hellooo,
My family and I are moving to Rigby on Monday. We are so excited. We are LDS so that should not be a problem except my husband, adopted daughter, and I are white and my son is Hispanic. Any good advice on fitting in? Any words of wisdom?

P.S any good Mexican restaurants that are to die for in nearby area ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,150 times
Well I'm excited that you will be coming to Rigby. I'm originally from Dallas and I have lived here for about 5 years and I just love it. What part of Rigby are you moving to? There is a little mexican Food Bus that parks in the parking lot behind Abbotts Ben Franklin, ( it's a crafty type store) and it's amazing. The food is very authentic and the people who run it are super nice. There is also a Taco Time but I prefer the bus. I hope you end up loving it here like I do!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Idaho Falls, hop skip and jump has several Mexican eateries, however we still prefer to go down to Blackfoot to Melina's.

Just make certain you grab a wildlife plate or any of the others so the 1J isn't on your plate or well we all assume you can't drive. Not being mean, just honest.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,217 times
Default Re: moving to Rigby

My family and I are moving to the Idaho Falls area in a couple of weeks from Texas. It is a great place to live. We have lived there before and are excited to be going "home". We have loved Dallas, but we miss a ton of things we left in Idaho... you will love it, just be easy going and it will be a fun move.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 AM

51 posts, read 178,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Idaho Falls, hop skip and jump has several Mexican eateries, however we still prefer to go down to Blackfoot to Melina's.

Just make certain you grab a wildlife plate or any of the others so the 1J isn't on your plate or well we all assume you can't drive. Not being mean, just honest.
What's the 1J?

Old 05-19-2007, 03:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
1J represent the Jefferson County which is where Rigby is located. Each license plate that isn't one of the "special" ones; Wildlife, firefighters, etc. etc have the county ID as part of your plate number; 1J- Jefferson County, 8B- Bonneville and so on.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,902 times
Thumbs down How do you like Rigby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgrum View Post
Hellooo

My family and I are moving to Rigby on Monday. We are so excited. We are LDS so that should not be a problem except my husband, adopted daughter, and I are white and my son is Hispanic. Any good advice on fitting in? Any words of wisdom?

P.S any good Mexican restaurants that are to die for in nearby area ????
Hi, how do you like Rigby by now? I see you moved in Feb, and I just found your message. My husband and I are moving to either Rigby or Rexburg or somewhere close to there, in five years when we retire. My husband has worked at CBS Channel 5 for 30 years here in Arizona. We are looking forward to retiring and working in the Rexburg Temple.

sansaulters

Old 06-29-2007, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 95,926 times
Default Loving it!! Sorry I am rambling!

I couldn't remember by old password. I figured I do not need to be azgrum since I am in Idaho. I love Rigby! The weather has been great. We got snow the first week we were here in May. It was weird but I loved it. I actually like the wind. It reminds me of Northern Arizona wind that I grew up in.

I have a hard time with the slow pace of things. I call to get estimates for things like sprinkler systems or finishing my basement. It takes forever for someone to come out or they do not show up or they show up way later than expected. I am still trying to get used to it.

Also, when you go and get appliances or whatever in Idaho Falls. In Mesa, AZ, I was used to next day delivery. With this, I get it on a Rigby delivery day which is in a couple days. I guess I need a truck!

We get our milk delivered! Is that insane! It probably is since I am paying a dollar more for a gallon of milk. But it is sooo good and we drink lots of it.

I am kind of lonely because I do not have any friends yet but I will live. I have my two kids to keep me company. I thought I would have problems with my son. None whatsoever! We get stares but we got that in Mesa.

If anyone talks about discrimination because your not LDS or you are, it is a bunch of hooey. There are non LDS and LDS on our street in our new subdivision. It has been great and everyone is friendly. Anymore questions, ask me. Right now I am not missing 109 temps or sweating!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,902 times
Question How do you like Rigby?

Missus A, wow that is so great that you love it! I am really looking forward to moving there, and so is my husband! Yes, I sure bet you don't miss the temps here. It is 112 degrees here today! It is so hot, I have been in phoenix for 6 years on July 12th. Also I came from Sandpoint Id. So what a change! But I met my help meet here, my wonderful husband, so I am very happy. We have been married for 15 months! We were sealed in the Mesa Temple.

I remember how slow paced Sandpoint was in 1972 when we moved there, I had lived in Ukiah Calif. all my life and then moved to Sandpoint. I liked it there, I was a brand new member of the church, just a week baptized then. A lot of negitive during that time, but I know it will be great there, and it is here too. Very positive about LDS people.

The post I read yesterday was not negitive about living there as non LDS, it was one person telling another that their was no problem. That is why I told that person who responded in such a positive way, that I thought she did a great job.

What you discribed as slow response, is how it was in Sandpoint. But now Sandpoint has turned into a tourest town. My exhusband was a logger, we raised our 5 children there. My exhusband now lives in Orgeon with his wife, and he doesn't like it to much, he would like to Idaho Falls or around there too, but his wife has health problems, so they won't move. My husband is excited about it!

Have a great day! Thanks again for telling hou you enjoy it there!

Sansaulters

Last edited by sansaulters; 06-29-2007 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Editing title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls