Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times

Advertisements

As I was reading the Post Register yesterday, I ran across an article about the growth of Idaho Falls. It seems it's grown from 50,730 (2000 Census) to 56,685 according to the Bonneville Metropolitan Planning Organization.

Ammon more than doubled their numbers; 6,187 to 13,294.

Bonneville County as a whole seen close to a 25% increase.

So when you're traveling down 17th and you think it's more crowded, you're right Just think how crazy it's going to be as we get closer to deer hunt season and Holiday shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
As I was reading the Post Register yesterday, I ran across an article about the growth of Idaho Falls. It seems it's grown from 50,730 (2000 Census) to 56,685 according to the Bonneville Metropolitan Planning Organization.

Ammon more than doubled their numbers; 6,187 to 13,294.

Bonneville County as a whole seen close to a 25% increase.

So when you're traveling down 17th and you think it's more crowded, you're right Just think how crazy it's going to be as we get closer to deer hunt season and Holiday shopping

Great growth numbers. Idaho Falls amost has as many people as Meridian does (59,832)!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Thumbs up Nice to See Your Interest, Syringaloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Great growth numbers. Idaho Falls amost has as many people as Meridian does (59,832)!
Yes, it is great growth. Meridian, as the joke goes - I think it was quoted in this forum as well as elsewhere - needs to count population each week. I apologize in advance if I remember that from a Boise resident which might be on another forum. But, it does seem fitting.

Meridian falls in the BSA/CSA, the last I heard. Some of the numbers are harder to factor, given that inclusion.

What's really impressive is Bonneville County's 103K population. (And not trying to differ with you cleosmom, but the last estimated population in May/June for 2007 in Idaho Falls, is 58K. You probably just didn't see that information). The census report is the source for both.

So Idaho Falls now has an MSA of about 142,000 and CSA much larger.

It's really nice to see your interest, Syringaloid, in Idaho Falls, given the limited time you spent in the area, if I remember correctly. You may be surprised (or not) who is investing in some of the major expansions in Idaho Falls. Then again, had Allan Ball and Ball Ventures not invested heavily in the Treasure Valley, I know of several hotels and other developments that wouldn't have been developed.

I'd suggest, Syringaloid, you read the I.Q. Idaho article, which I actually posted on one of these threads a couple of months ago. It is also online or through the Magaine (March edition). The article about Idaho Falls growth/development being the perfect compliment for Boise and why certain businesses will now look at Idaho who bypassed the state previously is really fascinating. You may find it interesting. If you can't find it, send me a PM and I'll send the article to you.

Now if the Bonneville County Commissioners and I.F. City Gov't can learn from Treasure Valley's rapid influx of new residents and get the infrastructure built now....... That will be the real challenge and one I hope they will address rapidly. Oh well, we can always hope.

Maybe the geography doesn't separate those who want the BEST for ALL of Idaho as some think. Maybe it all goes back to the people; at least I think the people factor is a huge part of the equation of what makes Idaho what it is and isn't.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

What's really impressive is Bonneville County's 103K population. (And not trying to differ with you cleosmom, but the last estimated population in May/June for 2007 in Idaho Falls, is 58K. You probably just didn't see that information). The census report is the source for both.
Have to admit, you made me look that article up online and I didn't misread so your source must be more up to date??

Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Thanks for the info Mtn. States Resident. I am interested in the state as a whole and realize the Idaho Falls area is growing fast, as is the rest of the state. Since the Boise area accounts for over half of the states population I find it interesting and important to follow growth in the smaller areas of the state, such as Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, and all of North Idaho which is growing like a weed. Mountain paradise towns near Boise like McCall and Cascade, Garden Valley are also exploding with growth and are in some of the states most popular recreational areas.
I hear you about the transportation issue and Boise already has funds secured for a transport hub downtown and a downtown trolley line. The mayors of all of the Boise metro cities are jumping on board for light rail, so hopefully the Boise area will have light rail sooner than later. Does Idaho Falls have a public bus system? Or similar?
But back to Idaho Falls and its growth. Kudos!
I hear that a lot of growth in Eastern Idaho is from people escaping from the Salt Lake area, in need of a better life in Idaho.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-17-2007 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Does Idaho Falls have a public bus system? Or similar?
But back to Idaho Falls and its growth. Kudos!
I hear that a lot of growth in Eastern Idaho is from people escaping from the Salt Lake area, in need of a better life in Idaho.
Yes, there is a public bus system or something similar, if you check out their website Ride PTA in Southeast Idaho you'll know why I used "something similar". I live here and even I'm confused

Yes, we do have plenty of folks coming up from UT to mix in with the ones from CA, FL, KY, TN.... those are the states that stick out in my head when working with clients who are new to town

Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 AM

Wink Source

Quote:
Have to admit, you made me look that article up online and I didn't misread so your source must be more up to date??
Cleosmom,

I read the same numbers as you in the P.R. My numbers come from the Census estimates. I'll get you the link, but don't know that I have time to do it today.. But, I'll get it posted here.

I guess it's good news in the way commercial is filling in. It's probably why the I.F. City Council wants to address Hitt and 1st Street now, but will Ammon (who is estimated much closer to 20K with those major new subdivisions, in the same estimated census) and Bonneville County pay their share? I hope so. Traffic is only going to get worse. The loop route is seriously being discussed in some circles. We must learn from Boise, not get stuck with some of the same problems that followed rapid growth, IMO.

MSR

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM

MSR, no worries about the Census info, when you have time would be great. I just wanted to make sure that my bifocals weren't playing tricks on me

Yes, Bonneville County needs to grab themselves by the bootstraps and seriously get some roads widened and add some lights out here. Along with half a dozen subdivisions going up near me, they are also building a Maverick at the intersection of Ammon and Lincoln

I know that personally I am going to be a grumpy person if they don't get a handle on things sooner rather than later.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
MSR, no worries about the Census info, when you have time would be great. I just wanted to make sure that my bifocals weren't playing tricks on me

Yes, Bonneville County needs to grab themselves by the bootstraps and seriously get some roads widened and add some lights out here. Along with half a dozen subdivisions going up near me, they are also building a Maverick at the intersection of Ammon and Lincoln

I know that personally I am going to be a grumpy person if they don't get a handle on things sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the breathing room, cleosmom. I will post it because it's a great reference site. I am so swamped right now I just can't take the time to find the link and add it.

And Syringaloid, did you see that article in the Statesman yesterday, I think it was? The one about the two new Camping World Super Stores opening in 2008? One is going in Meridian and the other in Idaho Falls as the only ones in ID.

Given your earlier comments about how similar Meridian and Idaho Falls are in population, I couldn't help but think of you and how absolutely right you are. Impressive! Check the article, per chance you didn't see it.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:30 PM

Lightbulb This is an Awkward Situation........

Quote:

Well, cleosmom, first hello again. Hope things are less hectic- or does that every really happen, except in Hollywood?

I went back to my sources to check my numbers again.

How about I apologize to cleosmom for saying 56,685 wasn't the most up-to-date info on the Idaho Falls City population, I give you reputation when I next possibly can (how does this system work telling me I have to spread reputation if my best info comes from the same people?), and............................................... ........... we check in again next year when the latest OFFICIAL VERSIONS are released for everyone to review? And we update the numbers again so well all have one nice After all, when you have think about all those little extra grade school kids and D#91 and #93 had to scramble to accomodate more new students. I suspect some adult may have come with some of the kids.

I apologize cleosmom for sharing information that was preliminary (AKA - news someone else needs to deliver, not me). It's best to stick with your numbers for now. Next years's numbers will be higher - I see no way growth will stop at this rate.

Besides the 56,685 residents in Idaho Falls (known, not estimated), the
I.F. City Metro = 116,980 and the I.F. Bingham CSA 161,031.

I apologize for my error. The problem is I've used that 58K amount on other posts. It won't matter because it won't be long until cites also saw 58K. I'm a forward thinker.

cleosmom, I was thinking about something rather interesting (at least to me, today). We all know TCOR - Taylor Crossing on the River will be building a lot of condos. I was advised yesterday we actually will see a new master plan released soon as more condo units have had to be added, given the demand.

Per www.therivercityweekly.com (broken link) 9/6/07 editition, condo units are being reserved at one unit/day - people are reserving them without floor plans. See page 1 and the other page with the info.

I keep wondering if it will become essential an adult condo living, with seniors, singles, business leases for INL contracts etc. Or, do you think there will be families living in these new homes? Can you imagine having a new elementary school somewhere down between Snake River Landing and Taylor's Crossing or somewhere that seems covered in Sage Brush or whatever for now? I have no idea if they have family condos or just smaller units for adults. Just something to think about.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls