Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 12,669 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently interviewed for a position within DEP in PA and it is a civil service job. The interview went well and they contacted my references the day after the interview. I made a follow up call after 2 weeks and the head person who interviewed me stated that they knew who they wanted immediately after the interviews and that they had made their selection. She was also not able to disclose who the selection was, and that I was to wait for my letter in the mail. I was told the position wasnt funded yet, and that they just wanted to have someone ready to hire when funding was available. Do you have any experience in this sort of matter? I am a nervous wreck waiting to find out if I was the selection!

Thank You, Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:10 AM

236 posts, read 251,212 times
Not at the state level, but federal. Hiring isn't what you expect in the private sector. Many hoops to jump through, even when the funding is there for the position. Too bad they didn't tell you up front that the position wasn't funded, but it is possible that they thought it was, and something changed. Best thing to do is not count on getting the job, but be delghted if you do. Contain your frustration. Don't contact them too often. If you sent a nice, professional follow up thank you for the interview and expressed your interest, that should be sufficient. I have to say, I suspect you might not be their pick since they said you would get a letter-- letters are usually for people who don't get the job. The person chosen usually gets a call. So I'd keep looking and in the mean time, if you are the person -- great!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:21 AM

236 posts, read 251,212 times
One more thing. Don't be frustrated by one experience. This isn't supposed to happen, but often a job will get posted when they know who they want to hire. They interview others because they have to. So don't take it personally. Keep trying -- meaning keep applying. If you know people who work where you want to be hired, make that known. Be willing to take something other than your dream job to get in the door, and then work toward what you really want.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
Not at the state level, but federal. Hiring isn't what you expect in the private sector. Many hoops to jump through, even when the funding is there for the position. Too bad they didn't tell you up front that the position wasn't funded, but it is possible that they thought it was, and something changed. Best thing to do is not count on getting the job, but be delghted if you do. Contain your frustration. Don't contact them too often. If you sent a nice, professional follow up thank you for the interview and expressed your interest, that should be sufficient. I have to say, I suspect you might not be their pick since they said you would get a letter-- letters are usually for people who don't get the job. The person chosen usually gets a call. So I'd keep looking and in the mean time, if you are the person -- great!
I have friends who worked in the same sector, and said that they were contacted via a letter that was just a formal job offer...one had to wait 4 months! Beyond frustrating...

Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 8,487 times
Had a similar situation- moved down here after grad school and was working my butt off with a profitable LTAC company while interviewing for over a year and the application process can be quite a maze. Taking tests, scoring high, receiving the interview availability forms, filling said forms out.... and then waiting. Once interviews were offered, you were left wondering. It can take several months. I was past a year of aggressively pursuing something and was very close to quitting and moving to Pittsburgh for an offer there. You're not alone, it can just seem as though they're not moving it along but they are.
Life being what it it, as soon as I accepted the offer I had several others calling with job offers also.
Good luck!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 AM

971 posts, read 688,522 times
I worked for the state in a previous life. They sent offer of employment letters as well as sorry charlie letters. It could go either way so don't get your hopes up. Nothing at the state works fast. Also, a lot of these jobs are filled from within and posting to the street is a formality. As they said, a lot of these jobs are filled when posted. They already know who they want. Not fair, but just a fact.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 PM

still havent heard back! The position I applied for is entry level and filled by non-department employees. I have had other interviews for non civil service jobs and have more on the way, its frustrating wondering what will happen with the civil service!

Old 05-26-2015, 03:04 PM

DEP called me back today and left a message asking whether or not I am still interested in the job since the opening is now available; I returned their call and left a message saying I was still interested; DEP called me back and left a message saying theyre happy I am still interested and I am to call them back tomorrow, as they will be in meetings for the remainder of today...do...do you think I got the position?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
View detailed profiles of: