Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 15,673 times

Advertisements

I'm being relocated for two years to Downtown Richmond but planning to live in Norfolk and keep my child in school here. I have a support network to help me out with her. It looks like I'll be leaving around 6am to drive to Richmond and leave work around 4:30 or 5 to head back to Norfolk. Has anyone done this? Is it crazy to think about doing this for two years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
No, I've never done that.

And Yes it is INSANE to even consider it.

The traffic on 64 is definitely NOT conducive to that kind of daily commute.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:31 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Not only is that crazy, that's like super bat crazy....your commute home on a Friday during the summer can easily turn into a 3-5 hour trip..... same can be said anytime during the winter if just the slightest amount of ice or snow accumulates on the roadways.

Then toss in the numerious accidents that occur between Richmond and Norfolk that force the State Police to shut down the interstate for often hours at a time which don't even include the normal break downs and accidents in the tunnels that occur almost daily and you have a commute that can turn your eight hour daily job into more of that 16 plus hour day

Now that said dealing with several hours of delay going home an unknown amount of times a month would only burden your support network at home but being delayed several hours past your normal start time at work a unknown number of times a month could burden your employer which may result in a unfavorable result towards you........

Why add more stress to an already stressful day by having to do a long commute to and from work everyday.........do yourself a favor, move much closer to Richmond and enroll your child in a school up there........

Last edited by rtandc; 03-16-2016 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 08:48 AM

I would be living just south of the HRBT near 64, so I wouldn't be sitting in 564 traffic in the mornings. I know it sounds crazy....I'm hoping someone who currently does this commute can weigh in.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:49 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,909 times
I would definitely leave before 6AM if you felt like you had to be at work by 8AM.

Just move to Richmond or find a new job.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
It might be feasible once they fully expand 64 on the Peninsula between Richmond and Newport News and they build the third crossing over the water to alleviate congestion. So I suggest you revisit this idea in about 25 years...

Old 03-16-2016, 02:20 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,339 times
If you do not mind commuting 4 hours a day, then go for it.

Sane people would never do that, especially when the only reason is to keep your kid in Norfolk schools?

Old 03-16-2016, 02:34 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj62 View Post
I would be living just south of the HRBT near 64, so I wouldn't be sitting in 564 traffic in the mornings. I know it sounds crazy....I'm hoping someone who currently does this commute can weigh in.
The HRBT traffic may be the least of your worries for the afternoon commute. I lived in Hampton and worked in Williamsburg and the Friday evening commute home (eastbound 64 between Wmsbg and Hampton) was the worst. It started around 3pm and would last past 7.

It can be done, but it really depends on how much you value your time. You will be sitting in traffic. A lot.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:58 PM

It's multiple reasons. I'm military and trying to keep my personal life and my career- very difficult. Next best option is lose my career or send my child away to live elsewhere due to the nature of my job in Richmond and lack of moveable support system. Crappy situation but weighing my options and this is one of them. Only upside is it's only two years, right?!!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
An alternative, though, might be taking the highway south of the James that goes up through Petersburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area