Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:24 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,961 times

Advertisements

Which do you fell is the better cap and ball revolver, why?

(Talking modern replicas here, not true vintage examples. Though if you want to talk about those, do identify the fact. I'm interested in shooters not collectibles in this thread, though of course design features overlap.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
I much prefer the Colt, it feels better in the hand, is not nearly so prone to chain fires as I have had Remingtons do all to many times, it dissasembles easier and lends itself to customizing much better as well, and, it's a Colt! I like the Remington just fine, and I have one in my collection. But all in all, I prefer the Colt. I find the 58's grip rather uncomfortable in comparison, (I have a fairly large hand) thus the 60 Army just fits better. I find the 58 comparable to the 51 or 61 Navy Colt. I use my cap and balls in reenactment(Cavalry) so the 60 is my choice to supplement my 54 Sharps. Chain fires with blanks are pretty common with the 58 because the solid top strap holds the burn closer to the cylinder. We can't use lube with blanks because it will foul the charge so the Colt works better. This is not so much a concern with live rounds as one WILL be using lube. So, in the end it boils down to personal preferance in the overall feel of the pistol in ones hand.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,961 times
I had the CVA 1861 Navy at one time. Nice balanced gun. Luckily the hammer notch sights were right on for 20 gr. Pyrodex P. So if the 58 is similar to that in grip, that's fine. (My favorite grip is a toss between Navy Colt and Super Blackhawk for single action.)

The usual line is that the 58 was more reliable back in the day and more were sold after the Civil War. I'm curious if replicas are similar in that respect. I've decided on one of the Army's because the higher bullet weight will help to give it some extra stopping power. The 86 grain ball in .36 caliber at black powder velocities is puts it in the .380 range. Not exactly a good stopper. Generally considered marginal or for a backup for police. (Thought man stopping isn't what I had in mind.)

The .44 on the other hand seem to throw enough lead and can hold almost enough powder to be on par with .45 Long Colt black powder loadings, since those were about 40 grains. So the 30 grains typical of the Army's isn't too far off.

Hmm... chain fires. Yeah I always use grease on the front, so I don't expect a problem there.

Well, guess I'll just have to go out and find two and see what how they compare. I was leaning toward 58's for the alleged reliability factor. Also seems most of the drop in cartridge cylinders for the 58 are 6 round whereas the 60's all seem to be 5 shots.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,691,139 times
I have the Remington with the brass frame. My brother bought it for my 12th birthday. I like the looks because of the backstrap. I have never shot the Colt , so I can't compare them that way. I have only had one chain fire. I was about 16, and forgot to grease the cylinder. I will never ever make that mistake again. All 6 chambers at the same time. No damage, and no injuries. Just one seriously terrified kid. Even at 43 I still think about that terrible mistake, and how lucky I really was.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I much prefer the Colt, it feels better in the hand, is not nearly so prone to chain fires as I have had Remingtons do all to many times, it dissasembles easier and lends itself to customizing much better as well, and, it's a Colt! I like the Remington just fine, and I have one in my collection. But all in all, I prefer the Colt. I find the 58's grip rather uncomfortable in comparison, (I have a fairly large hand) thus the 60 Army just fits better. I find the 58 comparable to the 51 or 61 Navy Colt. I use my cap and balls in reenactment(Cavalry) so the 60 is my choice to supplement my 54 Sharps. Chain fires with blanks are pretty common with the 58 because the solid top strap holds the burn closer to the cylinder. We can't use lube with blanks because it will foul the charge so the Colt works better. This is not so much a concern with live rounds as one WILL be using lube. So, in the end it boils down to personal preferance in the overall feel of the pistol in ones hand.

How do you load blanks, behind a paper wad or something?
I'v got a 36 cal 51 Navy but its been years since I shot it. Shoots very high & theres no front sight to work with. It is fun to play with though.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default You feelin' lucky, punk? (I know; wrong movie...)

Which gun did Clint use in the movie when he quick-changed the cylinder in the middle of the street fight? I believe it as a top-loader... impressive.

I used to own one of the 1858 Remingtons in a fairly chincy Italian clone back in, oh about 1985. It worked but didn't impress with it's quality of workmanship so it's gone. Now I'm looking at the open-topped 45LC cartridge models for SASS.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
How do you load blanks, behind a paper wad or something?
I'v got a 36 cal 51 Navy but its been years since I shot it. Shoots very high & theres no front sight to work with. It is fun to play with though.
We just use a 35 gr charge and pack it down with cream of wheat. Pack it tight and it makes an impressive pop. We use the cream of wheat because it disapates right out of the muzzle pretty much. 30 feet is our discharge safety zone. At ten feet it will pop ballons. It's a hoot to gallop around a course on the horse and blast ballons. But we can't use lube of any kind because it will cause the cream of wheat to stick together and maybe travel to far. The Rem tends to like to chain fire with blanks where I've never had a Colt do it.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Which gun did Clint use in the movie when he quick-changed the cylinder in the middle of the street fight? I believe it as a top-loader... impressive.

I used to own one of the 1858 Remingtons in a fairly chincy Italian clone back in, oh about 1985. It worked but didn't impress with it's quality of workmanship so it's gone. Now I'm looking at the open-topped 45LC cartridge models for SASS.
That was Pale Rider? Or was it Josey Wales I think the former....that was a later model Remington...(75?) Cartrige gun

Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 AM

45,440 posts, read 60,638,057 times
I think the movie was the one with Morgan Freeman. The Unforgiven?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,733 times
Clint used a 1851 Navy in "The Outlaw Josie Wales". He used a 1858 New Army In "Pale Rider".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting