Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM

382 posts, read 588,096 times

Advertisements

This is an age old argument and I doubt it will be settled here and I am also sure that most have very definite opinions on the subject.

I am in the camp that feels like high end optics are very good, but not 500 dollars good. How do I justify putting a 500 dollar optic on a 450 dollar AK? or SKS?

I just bought a cheap wall mart red dot on close out for 20 bucks. How can I go wrong? I did some research on it and many people who had them on rifles said that it held zero well and was going strong after 500 rounds. For out to 100 yds I don't feel its worth spending that kind of dough on optics.

Whats your thinking?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
This is an age old argument and I doubt it will be settled here and I am also sure that most have very definite opinions on the subject.

I am in the camp that feels like high end optics are very good, but not 500 dollars good. How do I justify putting a 500 dollar optic on a 450 dollar AK? or SKS?

I just bought a cheap wall mart red dot on close out for 20 bucks. How can I go wrong? I did some research on it and many people who had them on rifles said that it held zero well and was going strong after 500 rounds. For out to 100 yds I don't feel its worth spending that kind of dough on optics.

Whats your thinking?
The high end scope will take the beating your guns will give whereas the cheap scope might, just might, last a season before the gun recoil kills it.

I've run air guns that have such a sharp recoil that they will kill the average gun scope. I have to pay for the high end scopes made just for air guns to have a scope that will not fall apart on me.

It's all about the recoil.............

Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 PM
M45

405 posts, read 653,740 times
Trijicon ACOG, EOtech, Aimpoint.......

$500 is cheap.

You won't touch any of these for that.

YES, there are very good knockoffs out there.

Be very careful when buying. Take a friend who knows the difference or read up on it how to spot a fake.

You can't go wrong with any of these three.

Pick a model that best meets your needs.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
M45

405 posts, read 653,740 times
I'd tell you exactly what models to get, but it looks like I need to keep my replies and advice as vague as possible. I know what models I'd get if I were you.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Its the same with magazines for weapons. People build this expensive AR and then buy cheap magazines. Then they wonder why the rifle malfunctions.

You get what you pay for. I have an Aimpoint on my AR. I've dropped it, had the rifle through mud, snow, rain, dirt, sand and every other imaginable weather problem. It still works perfectly. In fact, I've had it 12 years and I have never even changed the batteries. Your $20 cheapo won't last that long.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Diitos to phil306. You get what you pay for. In the motorcycle biz it is a truism that if you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Cheap sights and mounts tend to lead to higher cost and time of zeroing your firearm. I bought an inexpensive red dot and it didn't last beyond 50 rounds. Now, I do just Aimpoint and Eotech.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Cheap sights and mounts tend to lead to higher cost and time of zeroing your firearm. I bought an inexpensive red dot and it didn't last beyond 50 rounds. Now, I do just Aimpoint and Eotech.
Yup me too...

My EoTech has functioned flawlessly at -55F... Not that everyone experiences these temperatures, but it's nice to know that 55 degrees lower than your freezer and your EoTech works as advertized (but only with Lithium Batteries).

Plus it looks cool with the etched and painted "For Military and Law Enforcement use only".

Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM

I don't agree. I bought a very inexpensive 30 dollar whole sale red dot. It holds zero and works well on my AK. Why would I put a 500 dollar sight on a a 400 dollar gun? I did quite a bit of reading on red dot, and can't knock the expensive Aimpoint 500 dollar unites. But are they really necessary on a 400 dollar gun? What is the difference? Well from what I read, you can break the glass and it tends to hold zero. LOL Really? How about i buy anohter 40 dollar unit and I am still 425 dollars ahead. Well the unit can go to 50 feet below water and still function. LOL Well if thats the case I have more problems then if my red dot works.

I have been reading about the Bushnell TRS-25. It gets very high marks and is compared to Aimpoint and is about 80 bucks new from Amazon. I have read and watched many videos of abuse and use and it holds zero and takes a beating.

I know Aimpoint has advantages like a 5year battery life, but again for 500 plus it had better go to bed with you. I just don't see how one has to buy the most expensive unit to get a good bang for the buck. Here is a good video on the TRS25 and name is the same but not the same person as OP.

Bushnell TRS-25: High Performance Micro Red Dot - YouTube

Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Its the same with magazines for weapons. People build this expensive AR and then buy cheap magazines. Then they wonder why the rifle malfunctions.

You get what you pay for. I have an Aimpoint on my AR. I've dropped it, had the rifle through mud, snow, rain, dirt, sand and every other imaginable weather problem. It still works perfectly. In fact, I've had it 12 years and I have never even changed the batteries. Your $20 cheapo won't last that long.
Thats true but I can buy a lot of batterys for 500 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting