Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 09:53 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,936 times

Advertisements

I lost my older sister from Glioblastoma. Then during the pandemic I lost her husband, my BIL, from Covid. In my mind, it was like I lost her twice...or something like that. Still hurts. Now my brother has serious heart problems. Grief still overwhelming me from my hubby's death a month ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 05:58 AM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I lost my older sister from Glioblastoma. Then during the pandemic I lost her husband, my BIL, from Covid. In my mind, it was like I lost her twice...or something like that. Still hurts. Now my brother has serious heart problems. Grief still overwhelming me from my hubby's death a month ago.
I am so sorry. That is a lot to bear. Cumulative losses feel overwhelming and can send one into despair. Please take care of ypurself, and feel safe to post about it on this forum. There are some good people here who are experiencing similar situations. The grief is deep and real.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:45 PM

3,506 posts, read 762,448 times
i am the baby of 13 children ,, i have lost 8 older brothers and sisters in my lifetime .. most were so much older than me that i considered then more aunts and uncles than siblings .. three who were nearest to me in age were triplets .. i have a few memories of them .. two of them have passed away in the last 3 years .. they were born a day after Christmas and the two who have passed died on Christmas day .. i am going to make a point to visit the sole survivor triplet on the 24th this year ,, HA ! of the 13 in my family 8 were born in December .. i the baby was born Dec 19th 1955 and the oldest child a sister was born Dec 19th 1935 ..

Old 02-02-2024, 05:46 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
I lost my sister years ago. She was 42 and I was 36. She had a massive stroke.

It was hard to comprehend her dying at such a young age with younger children. It made my wife and I focus on family that much more.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:20 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Generally, first you lose your parents.

You realize you are no longer anyone's child.

Then you lose your siblings.

You realize you have lost your youth and its memories.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:33 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I mourn the loss of my sister. She lived 600 miles away, so I missed sharing family experiences with her and her kids when our families were young. My husband and I weren’t fond of her husband, so we spent less time than we might have.

She had metastasized breast cancer, and fought it for 12+years. Anyway, I miss sharing things with her now.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:13 PM

734 posts, read 483,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
the gradual decline made it more bearable, and in fact it helped to know that it ended suffering.
It does, indeed. My mother was only in her 70s, but her brain bleed stroke did her in. While she recovered very well physically for her age, she lost her mind, more or less, afterward. While some things remained the same in her, she was overall a different person. She was terribly mentally ill and apathetic after her brain bleed; things only got progressively worse over time. She had no will to live nor any real reason to be alive. It was a blessing she went two years after the terrible event. She lived a good 70 years. A lot of people never get that. She had a very loving family, a terrific husband (my father), and excellent health all her life. Sure, she didn't get into her 80s, but for many, those years are nothing more than pain and suffering. And, honestly, my mother didn't have the mindset needed for real old age - she just didn't! My father was five years older than her, and she always worried that he would die first, as she couldn't bear the thought of living without him.

Old 02-04-2024, 04:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
My brother passed in December 2017. We were not close, ever. He passed in Hamilton, Montana getting into the car to go to the emergency room, Cardiac issues for decades. His wife actually chuckled when she told me on the phone. I was not informed as to his remains, any funeral, etc. Very disturbing.

But I do miss him.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:02 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
No siblings here but in my thirties I lost five of my closest friends and mentors, all of them "too young to die." It was devastating. I actually began to develop some superstitious thinking around it. And the anger I had felt like it was damaging my spiritual growth. That grief, I think because I stayed in the anger stage so long, took quite a while to calm.

My husband grew up with six brothers and four of them died untimely deaths. Just this January his sixty-something brother died leaving only his oldest brother who has had a heart attack and is in a care center and my husband who is the third oldest.

My MIL was a rock of strength but the last time I saw her before she died she was crying and told me how very lonesome she was. I can't imagine losing that many of your children.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:38 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
My sister was 93, she went to bed and didn't wake up. Not a bad way to go.

I am the only one one of my generation in the extended family still surviving. That tends to chew on you. I will be 90 in a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning