Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 20,943 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at homes in the Anderson 1 school dist. as we are relocating to the area and think we want to live in Anderson 1 for schools...My question is when did PHS open and are they/will they redistrict the area? I have noticed that houses I've looked at online in the past that were to go to Wren now go to PHS??? Can anyone tell me about these two schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM

212 posts, read 423,251 times
PHS only opened either 2010 or 2011. I don't know the answers to the other questions.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
Powdersville High School opened this year. Kids rising to 9th grade this school year in the Powdersville zone had to go to Powdersville. Kids rising to 10th in the zone had a choice to stay at Wren or move schools. Kids rising to 11th and 12th grades stayed at Wren.

The attendance zone for Powdersville High school is the same as for Powdersville Middle School. Anderson District One keeps kids in the same schools from Elementary through High School, meaning a single elementary school will all go to the same middle and high school together.

If you go here:
School Zone Locator - U.S. Computing, Inc. (http://locator.anderson1.k12.sc.us/zonelocator/zoning/zonelocator.aspx?1618nav=|&nodeid=3823 - broken link)
you can put in address and it will tell which schools are zoned for that address.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the schools in District One. My son is in 11th grade and Wren is a good high school. He doesn't like it but he just hates all school in general. We have found the teachers and guidance staff there to be helpful in trying to keep him on track.

My daughter is in 8th grade at Powdersville Middle and we have had a good experience there so far. The new High School is very nice and we look forward to her starting there next year. Right now she is trying to decide between band and a special technology academy they offer. The problem is she wants to do both but has to chose one or the other. She only has 2 complaints: 1) Making new friends has been hard but I think that would be true anywhere at that age. 2) She says it is tougher than her last school because there are so many kids trying to make good grades (I think that is a good thing).

Hope that is helpful!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM

807 posts, read 1,784,724 times
Wren has most always gotten rave reviews. My grandchildren go to Powdersville Elementary and Powdersville Middle. I highly encouraged this area when they purchased their home. No complaints here!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
you will notice a definitive change in wren once powdersville has all 4 grades on campus. speaking with some staff from powdersville there's a reason some of them bolted from wren for PHS. not b/c wren itself is bad but b/c the powdersville crowd carries wren as it stands now. once you eliminate that crowd wren will not be what it was prior.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 PM

202 posts, read 295,553 times
How do you know where Powdersville ends and Wren starts? That is a very ambigious area in my mind. I looked at a school district map and the Powdersville district doesn't seem very big in land area. Wren doesn't either, for that matter.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
Go to the school district website, check "high zone", and put in an address and it will tell you what zone the address is in.

School Information Locator

You can also zoom around the map to get an idea. Enrollment has grown at Powdersville High each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area