Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Degree of polarity between states and it's capital
Alaska-Juneau 0 0%
Hawaii-Honolulu 0 0%
Washington- Olympia 1 1.25%
Oregon - Salem 0 0%
California- Sacramento 1 1.25%
Nevada - Carson City 0 0%
Idaho - Boise 1 1.25%
Montana- Helena 0 0%
Wyoming - Cheyenne 0 0%
Utah - SLC 1 1.25%
Arizona - Phoenix 1 1.25%
New Mexico - Santa Fe 0 0%
Colorado - Denver 2 2.50%
North Dakota - Bismarck 0 0%
South Dakota - Pierre 1 1.25%
Nebraska - Lincoln 1 1.25%
Kansas - Topeka 0 0%
Oklahoma - OKC 0 0%
Texas - Austin 19 23.75%
Louisiana - Baton Rouge 0 0%
Arkansas - Little Rock 0 0%
Missouri - St. Louis/ JUST KIDDING Jefferson City (seeing if you're still reading) 0 0%
Iowa -Des Moines 0 0%
Minnesota - St. Paul 2 2.50%
Wisconsin - Madison 1 1.25%
Illinois - Springfield 2 2.50%
Kentucky- Frankfurt 0 0%
Tennessee - Nashville 3 3.75%
Mississippi - Jackson 4 5.00%
Alabama - Montgomery 1 1.25%
Indiana - Indianapolis 0 0%
Michigan - Lansing 0 0%
Ohio - Columbus 1 1.25%
Maine - Augusta 0 0%
New Hampshire - Concord 0 0%
Vermont - Montpelier 1 1.25%
Connecticut -Hartford 1 1.25%
Rhode Island (almost forgot you) - Providence 0 0%
New York - Albany 8 10.00%
Pennsylvania - Harrisburg 0 0%
New Jersey - Trenton 1 1.25%
Delaware - Dover 1 1.25%
Maryland - Annapolis 1 1.25%
United States - DC 10 12.50%
West Virginia - Charleston 0 0%
Virginia - Richmond 0 0%
North Carolina - Raleigh 0 0%
South Carolina - Columbia 1 1.25%
Georgia - Atlanta 12 15.00%
Florida - Tallahassee 0 0%
Massachusetts -Boston (yes, I did forget) 1 1.25%
Puerto Rico - San Juan 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:19 PM

6,135 posts, read 4,622,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But how does that translate into hostility towards Annapolis?

I'm going with Georgia.
There is a lot of sentiment in the Western part of Maryland that the capital/state government uses all of its resources to boost the eastern (DC corridor) part of the state and ignores the western half of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 07:33 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,183,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Just didn't understand the lunch money comment? And I'm not sure this is a poll you would want to win, though, if you look up, guess who's winning?
Not sure what's hard to understand. People do not hate or harbor animosity toward those they walk all over which is what 55%+ of Texas does to Austin, in addition to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and El Paso. The fact that Austin is winning only tells me many people here vote without thinking things through which is not surprising really. But yeah go and be the most hated if you think that's good for the city's brand.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:08 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,784,920 times
Definitely Georgia. Atlanta is big city, liberal, Black, Democratic. Most of the rest of Georgia is none of those things. Can’t think of any state more culturally and politically different than its capitol

Old 05-02-2024, 11:18 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,947,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
What are you smoking? You couldn't be more wrong. It has been a rite of passage forever to mock the pols and inefficiency and shenanigans going on and coming out of Albany.

Not only is it not taboo but it's a sport for the NY media and the like to go full force at the nonsense in Albany. Do you really think there's not critical examination going on in the most media covered state in the country and one of the most media covered places in the world? Quite the contrary.
Albany's subject to a different dynamic than in many other places. NY state politics have a well-known history of corruption, and you also have the upstate v downstate divide. In terms of polarization, upstate would see 'Albany' as representing 'liberal' downstate interests (even though Albany is itself upstate, and I myself am a pretty far left upstater). So it's a weird dynamic to encapsulate for the uninitiated. Definitely deserves a spot near the top of the rankings but I'm not going to vote for it due to lack of adequate knowledge of the dynamics at play in certain other states. Citylove's argument for Atlanta in the post above mine makes a lot of sense, for example

Old 05-02-2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I think NJ has animosity towards Trenton no matter which party is in power.
This 'greater NYC cynicism' is why NY and NJ are probably near the top of the list here.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Exactly. It didn't help when the mentally-challenged governor stated that "mostly rocks and cows" existed outside the liberal bubble of the Twin Cities.

https://rocksandcows.org/rocks-cows-...ocks-and-cows/
Politically incorrect, not entirely wrong

Old 05-02-2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
What are you smoking? You couldn't be more wrong. It has been a rite of passage forever to mock the pols and inefficiency and shenanigans going on and coming out of Albany.

Not only is it not taboo but it's a sport for the NY media and the like to go full force at the nonsense in Albany. Do you really think there's not critical examination going on in the most media covered state in the country and one of the most media covered places in the world? Quite the contrary.
Jcp has lived in the Rochester area for the past couple years, if I'm not mistaken. So he's justifiably unfamiliar with the downstate-driven criticism machine in play in NY.

This conversation leads me to wonder if perhaps Texas or Georgia deserves the nod due to grassroots criticism, and all the media criticism that exists in NY perhaps paints a misleading picture. But I do reiterate that NY is unique in that you have outspoken conservative critiques coming from certain NYC media outlets (in a largely liberal metropolis), then you have lots of upstaters feeling alienated and disenfranchised due to NYC's outsized influence on state government. Liberals tend to be less vocal in general (or at least, center-left people tend to be less vocal), and there's minimal need for liberal pushback at the moment given the current composition of state government. Though even there, I'm sure there are liberal factions in NYC upset with the somewhat moderate Buffalonian governor currently in power. I'd personally sympathize with those people.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The only issue is Denver is like 1/2 the state.

There is a fair bit of resentment/snobbery towards Columbus from Cincinnati/Cleveland that means a large amount of the state dislikes the capital.

Austin is a good answer too, big enough to matter, not big enough to dominate

The issue I have with Albany is people hate Albany only as “Albany” references the policy of the state Government but everyone knows the policy comes from NYC elected officials. Not like the City of Albany.

A lot of people in NJ for example think Trenton is a terrible city divorced from their notions of state politics nobody hates the City of Albany. This is clear when the city is known for more than being a state Capital. Boston’s reputation is pretty much detached from the State Government (hence they use Beacon Hill to refer to the government). People aren’t hating on Albany people are hating on the state government using a metonym
OP asked for state that most hated its state government, not the state that most hates the populace that comprises its capital city (or the city itself). Albany therefore has to be a top contender. The issue you raise would be valid were it not for the content of the OP, lol

Old 05-02-2024, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s not just that, it’s also that Texans are culturally wired to question authority. You can’t put in a new stop sign without it being a big kerfuffle. Personally I like it that way.
To an extent, that's admirable. Picking your battles matters a lot, too, and also knowing when to just chill out and enjoy life. There's no quantifiable formula here for ideal levels of dissent v apathy v agreeableness

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

533 posts, read 262,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Not sure what's hard to understand. People do not hate or harbor animosity toward those they walk all over which is what 55%+ of Texas does to Austin, in addition to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and El Paso. The fact that Austin is winning only tells me many people here vote without thinking things through which is not surprising really. But yeah go and be the most hated if you think that's good for the city's brand.
Who did you vote for? I stated earlier this isn't a poll that one would want to win? Why do Houstonians have such animous towards Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.