Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 12:47 PM

6,785 posts, read 4,227,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
It snowed in the Twin Cities this year in April. Didn't stick though. I don't think it's ever snowed here in June though.

June snow has been recorded in places like International Falls, Hibbing and Grand Rapids i.e inland Minnesota north of Duluth and fairly close to the Canadian border. And for what it's worth we're talking about historic 'once in a century' type events here which for various reasons may not occur again in the foreseeable future.

May snow however is still relatively frequent in those types of areas like not every year, but maybe every couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 12:58 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
June snow has been recorded in places like International Falls, Hibbing and Grand Rapids i.e inland Minnesota north of Duluth and fairly close to the Canadian border. And for what it's worth we're talking about historic 'once in a century' type events here which for various reasons may not occur again in the foreseeable future.

May snow however is still relatively frequent in those types of areas like not every year, but maybe every couple of years.
Snow in June is very common in Northern Rockies and the Cascades.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:58 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,123,527 times
I appreciate that January in Boston is getting warmer. It would make sense, if the ocean is getting warmer, that it would have a bigger impact on a coastal city. But I'm not talking about January weather.

I'm talking about the duration of winter. Even if you want to cherry pick the last 4 years - the difference in temps is apparent in March and April. As I said, Boston is 3 weeks behind on the thaw and 3 weeks sooner to go into the freeze in November/December.

March 13, 14, 15 of this year in Philly it was 72, 76, and 75 degrees respectively. On those same days in Boston it was 47, 49, and 44. That's an extreme example but the average difference is still in the range of 7 degrees. Late March in Philadelphia is Spring, always has been, temps in the low-60s to low-70s are not an everyday thing but are not exactly uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Okay lets rewind and take this slower.

-Boston is colder than Philadelphia. Historically has been ~7-8 degrees colder.
-However, due to climate change, Boston is in New England, the fastest warming region in the country (World someone said above?)
-Boston has warmed over 1.1 degrees F every decade since 1980. Philadelphia has been like 0.5 degrees... whatever it says upthread. I dont remember.
-Boston, Southern New England in general, is warming very fast. So the difference between them and the cities south of them are becoming smaller and smaller.
-Boston's winter, therefore, is not 6 months long compared to NYC at 3-4 months. If anything Boston's winter is 3.5 months and NYC's is 3 months.
-We also can see that Boston's average snowcover went from almost 65 days 50 years ago, to under a month in the 2010s.... even less so today (Probably less than 20 days of snowcover a year).

Everywhere is warming, but New England is warming the fastest. The farther north you go. Burlington VT is warming much faster than Boston is for example.

When I grew up in Boston in the 00s, it was a much different climate (believe it or not...). Now, I barely can tell the difference between North Jersey and SE MA. 20 years ago? Big difference. Now? Not so much.

40 years from now, at these trends, NNJ may have the same weather as Fayetteville NC and Boston may have the same weather as Virginia Beach VA do today.

Scary stuff...

Also, in the 2020s: Boston's average temperature in January is 34 degree. Philadelphia is 37. NYC is 38. In the 80s? There was a MUCH bigger difference. Source: Just look above at the WSJ article lol

Old 04-15-2024, 02:30 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I appreciate that January in Boston is getting warmer. It would make sense, if the ocean is getting warmer, that it would have a bigger impact on a coastal city. But I'm not talking about January weather.

I'm talking about the duration of winter. Even if you want to cherry pick the last 4 years - the difference in temps is apparent in March and April. As I said, Boston is 3 weeks behind on the thaw and 3 weeks sooner to go into the freeze in November/December.

March 13, 14, 15 of this year in Philly it was 72, 76, and 75 degrees respectively. On those same days in Boston it was 47, 49, and 44. That's an extreme example but the average difference is still in the range of 7 degrees. Late March in Philadelphia is Spring, always has been, temps in the low-60s to low-70s are not an everyday thing but are not exactly uncommon.
SE Mass and Northern NJ just aren't that different climates to begin with.

New Bedford has an average temperature of 52.4
Newark has an average temperature of 55.5

For reference:
Philadelphia is 56.3
Worcester is 48.1

So the difference just between Worcester and New Bedford is bigger than the difference between New Bedford and Philly or NNJ. Keep in mind Worcester isn't even north of Boston, just west.

IMO the real warmup transition happens once you get south of Richmond around Virginia Beach to Nags Head NC you start getting annual averages in the 60s and most winter nights don't go below freezing.

those averages don't tell the whole story though. The seasonal averages don't always match the annual averages. As carephilly points out, the biggest difference between these areas is often in the Spring, although winter is also quite different. Typically summer and autumns are less different, since the northern parts get pretty hot at times throughout the summer and early autumn.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

12,815 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoM2000 View Post
For me, I prefer it to snow only between mid-Dec. to mid-March.
I think Denver has the best four seasons weather but it’s snowed there in May.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
SE Mass and Northern NJ just aren't that different climates to begin with.

New Bedford has an average temperature of 52.4
Newark has an average temperature of 55.5

For reference:
Philadelphia is 56.3
Worcester is 48.1

So the difference just between Worcester and New Bedford is bigger than the difference between New Bedford and Philly or NNJ. Keep in mind Worcester isn't even north of Boston, just west.

IMO the real warmup transition happens once you get south of Richmond around Virginia Beach to Nags Head NC you start getting annual averages in the 60s and most winter nights don't go below freezing.

those averages don't tell the whole story though. The seasonal averages don't always match the annual averages. As carephilly points out, the biggest difference between these areas is often in the Spring, although winter is also quite different. Typically summer and autumns are less different, since the northern parts get pretty hot at times throughout the summer and early autumn.
+Ringwood/Sussex NJ is colder than New Bedford or Middleborough MA

Old Today, 11:18 AM

192 posts, read 150,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I disagree. It's too up-and-down, snow hardly sticks, and not enough colors in the fall.

Old Today, 12:35 PM

37,449 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Snow in June is very common in Northern Rockies and the Cascades.
The topic of this thread is: East coast 4-season climates

I am not certain whether the Rockies or Cascades are really considered to be East Coast.

Old Today, 12:37 PM

37,449 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Denver? Can you remind me which East Coast state is Denver in?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.