Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 08:31 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times

Advertisements

The East Coast is heavily populated. You have the Northeast. NYC, Boston, DC, Baltimore, and New Jersey have population centers at or on the ocean.
Then you have Florida with Jacksonville, Tampa, Daytona Beach and Miami.

What happened to Georgia and North Carolina and South Carolina? Georgia and North Carolina are top ten in population, but these states have no huge coast cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 08:34 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
This video explains it pretty well. It actually just recently popped up on my feed a few days ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99wsY2JJHfw

Old 09-25-2023, 08:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Haven't watched, but SC's seems fairly populated relative to the state it's in.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:57 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
I saw that video the other day. He didn’t give much weight to the devastation the South faced after the Civil War, nor to the generational attitudes toward and perceptions of the South long afterwards. I ran into that in my five years in DC from ‘79 through ‘83.

Nor did he mention the fast percentage of growth occurring on this part of the coast now. Percentage-wise, for instance, metro Charleston (the Charleston-North Charleston MSA) has been outpacing the inland MSA’s in his study for some time now. Most of that growth, granted, has been gravitating to more inland areas of the Charleston-North Charleston MSA. Same with the extremely fast-growing Myrtle Beach MSA.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:33 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Actually that video confused me if Columbia is being treated as part of the empty coast while Charlotte/Raleigh are part of the developed interior. But also like a fifth of SC’s population lives between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Granted it’s not in a single large MSA with skyscrapers, but it definitely doesn’t feel empty. I think SC should be excused from this exercise.

That said, the correct answer is ports and economy.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:49 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
SCs coast is developed a lot more than GA or NCs. It’s also growing like wildfire

Old 09-25-2023, 02:58 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Besides being significantly smaller much of Georgia's coastal area is too water infiltrated with marshes and rivers.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,243,396 times
And of course much of NC's coast is made up of the Outer Banks region.

That said I have often wondered why Wilmington isn't bigger and why it hasn't been a greater vector of growth the last couple of decades when most warm weather coastal cities have exploded in terms of development and growth.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:58 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
And of course much of NC's coast is made up of the Outer Banks region.

That said I have often wondered why Wilmington isn't bigger and why it hasn't been a greater vector of growth the last couple of decades when most warm weather coastal cities have exploded in terms of development and growth.
Wilmington proper, as well as New Hanover County of which it is the county seat; are both fairly geographically small and largely built up (but still growing at a healthy rate). Neighboring Brunswick County is the fastest growing county in NC mostly due to suburban Leland and surrounding area (right across the river from Wilmington) developing significantly in the past decade. Hence Brunswick County recently being re-added to the Wilmington MSA after a decade of (mistakenly) being included in the Myrtle Beach MSA.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:17 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Actually that video confused me if Columbia is being treated as part of the empty coast while Charlotte/Raleigh are part of the developed interior. But also like a fifth of SC’s population lives between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Granted it’s not in a single large MSA with skyscrapers, but it definitely doesn’t feel empty. I think SC should be excused from this exercise.

That said, the correct answer is ports and economy.
I agree that the SC coast is not like the NC and GA coasts and should not even be compared to the other two. It is growing by leaps and bounds because every other person from up here is retiring in either Charleston or Myrtle Beach. SC government needs to put brakes on this runaway development because of the topography and hurricane risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.