Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 04:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,197 posts, read 7,668,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Buffalo and Detroit totals did not include Canadian numbers in their 50 mile radius. I used the International Radius Tool a couple of years ago and found that Buffalo was around 3.7 million, and Detroit’s was 6.4 million. I'm sure San Diego will also show a significant area population change if Mexican population within 50 miles is added. I was going to re-run the numbers today, but the tool wasn't working. I didn't have 25-35-40 mile radius numbers on-hand.
Yes I was thinking about each of those, as well as Juarez- El Paso. If you are able to pull those totals, and maybe add to this would be interesting to look at.

I think San-Diego-Tijuana would be the most populous, followed by Detroit-Windsor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 04:45 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,444,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I was thinking of that. Then I thought, wouldn't the center actually have to be somewhere in Dallas to call the data Dallas? Would an area centered on Arlington with parts of Dallas and parts of FW still be called Dallas?

Or if you do a radius in San Marcos or New Braunfels, do you say it is San Marcos , San Antonio, Austin...

Our if you do one centered around Lakeland is that Lakeland, Tampa or Orlando.

I can see centering Boston in Cambridge or Somerville because those city limits are so ridiculously small that they constitute the urban core of the metro together. Same situation in Miami. But Arlington Texas is completely outside the urban cores of either FW or Dallas. You can probably get killer numbers somewhere in NNJ but I wouldn't call that a radius centered on NY.

Anyway. I tried Arlington and it is still smaller. A lot smaller. I got 3,520k people. DFW is very stretched out. To the North and to the west. The center that captures the most population is probably somewhere in the axis between Irving and Coppell.

This proves the point even more that over 25 is beyond over kill.

Well I think it is generally understood that "Dallas" is smaller than Houston. People usually refer to the region as a whole as "DFW", and DFW is not centered around Dallas the way Greater Houston is centered around Houston. As such I didn't find this surprising at all.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:06 PM

3,605 posts, read 3,121,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yes I was thinking about each of those, as well as Juarez- El Paso. If you are able to pull those totals, and maybe add to this would be interesting to look at.

I think San-Diego-Tijuana would be the most populous, followed by Detroit-Windsor.
Just ran the tool, not sure of the pedigree of the source data, though. The tip code part of the tool didn't work, so I guesstimated central areas based on maps.

50 mile radius:
San Diego/Tijuana - 5,185,191
Detroit/Windsor - 5,071,226
El Paso/Juarez - 2,475,361
Buffalo/Niagara Region - 1,964,260
[Note that Niagara Falls NY (part of Buffalo MSA, 15 mi NW of downtown Buffalo) has 5,478,257 within 50 miles, being more proximate to Toronto.]

40 mile radius:
San Diego/Tijuana - 5,093,050
Detroit/Windsor - 4,624,496
El Paso/Juarez - 2,383,249
Buffalo/Niagara Region - 1,658,630 (Niagara Falls - 1,816,104)

Last edited by RocketSci; 12-05-2022 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-05-2022, 06:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,859,986 times
Can you try a 50 mile international around McAllen if you don't mind? I want to see how it compares to El Paso Juarez.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:25 AM

6,495 posts, read 4,120,403 times
For Houston, I want to see if 25 miles centered on Uptown is more than Downtown. The metro is filling out especially South and North, so the Western dominance isn't gonna stay for too long. The only thing keeping it really is the lack of density outside of the loop and SW Houston.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,258,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
For Houston, I want to see if 25 miles centered on Uptown is more than Downtown. The metro is filling out especially South and North, so the Western dominance isn't gonna stay for too long. The only thing keeping it really is the lack of density outside of the loop and SW Houston.
You can go play with the tool yourself to establish the population from a different point in your city or metro. I was able to do this and came out with larger populations centered on different areas.
I think it's pretty obvious that many (if not most) of these cities have a center of population that is different than its downtown or political center.
Go to the original post for the link. I found the site a bit clunky, but I figured out how to make it work after a try or two.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:55 AM

506 posts, read 484,186 times
I plugged in the town of Union, CT. It has a population of 785 and is the least populated town in Connecticut. It's 25 mile radius, though, has a population of 1,100,203! That's almost as much as Birmingham's 35 mile.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:06 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,374,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Raleigh being so far ahead of Nashville surprises me. I guess the more surprising part is how low Nashville is. It gets quite a lot of its population from areas in the Williamson and Rutherford counties that are quite far from Nashville. Interestingly Franklin, TN is just making the cut at 22 miles, so at 20 miles the number could look quite a bit smaller even.
Large swaths of Durham are within 25 miles of downtown Raleigh. Nashville doesn't have a Durham.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,258,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Large swaths of Durham are within 25 miles of downtown Raleigh. Nashville doesn't have a Durham.
This is very true. Raleigh and Durham are attached to each other despite being reported as different metros, suppressing the true size of the area and making Durham all but statistically invisible on the national "top 50" MSA list next to its larger sister.
Nashville has Murfreesboro within its metro but further from Nashville than Durham is from Raleigh. The 25 mile radii population comparison highlights how the comparison between the two flip flops when you look at population within comparative land area. That said, and while staying centered on Raleigh and Nashville, Raleigh still remains more populated by 35 and 40 mile radii data as well when places like Mufreesboro are captured.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:56 AM

3,605 posts, read 3,121,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Can you try a 50 mile international around McAllen if you don't mind? I want to see how it compares to El Paso Juarez.
McAllen/Reynosa - 2,308,642
Brownsville/Matamoros - 1,856,762
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.