Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 11:34 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Miami has more extensive sprawl imo
Without a doubt. Miami sprawl reaches as far north as Jupiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 11:37 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
There is a popular saying among Houstonians:

Houston is the Love Child of Los Angeles and New Orleans.

Maybe it started out that way but it takes more after it's L.A. parent than it's N.O. one.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:56 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
There is a popular saying among Houstonians:

Houston is the Love Child of Los Angeles and New Orleans.

Maybe it started out that way but it takes more after it's L.A. parent than it's N.O. one.
I dont think its very accurate IMO. It has things in common with both, but it honestly falls short in certain aspects too.

I tend to think its more of a combo of LA (particularly the area south of the 10, north of the 22 and west of the 605) Orlando, and Lafayette. I honestly dont get the NOLA influence here other than there are a lot of people from that city here.

I honestly think Houston has literally nothing in common with LA north of the 10.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont think its very accurate IMO. It has things in common with both, but it honestly falls short in certain aspects too.

I tend to think its more of a combo of LA (particularly the area south of the 10, north of the 22 and west of the 605) Orlando, and Lafayette. I honestly dont get the NOLA influence here other than there are a lot of people from that city here.

I honestly think Houston has literally nothing in common with LA north of the 10.
Louisiana = New Orleans to many people, even here.
Houston has a tons of people from Louisiana and I think it feels like if Baton Rouge or Lafayette were 7 million MSAs.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:37 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston has a tons of people from Louisiana and I think it feels like if Baton Rouge or Lafayette were 7 million MSAs.
Baton Rouge as a mega city is a good comp for Houston. I totally see that. Really do not see LA at all, though I'll admit I'm not familiar with the entire LA metro which is massive, so AASB might be correct about certain southern parts being Houston-like. Houston geography, outside of Galveston, feels like the swamp, e.g. Baton Rouge or Orlando, not the beach. How can a city be "most like LA" without that core component? LA has a lot of mediterranean architecture and stucco, I don't see either in Houston. The LA metro has a lot of areas filled with rugged hills. Where is that in Houston? Houston has some palm trees I guess, but overall the flora and fauna does not feel like LA at all. The weather definitely doesn't feel like LA. LA has so many little walkable urban nodes, Houston has very little of that, etc.

South Florida IMO doesn't hit every chord but I think it's definitely much closer than Houston I think.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
As someone who’s lived in Louisiana and Houston, the cultures aren’t very similar. They both have the general southern personalities ingrained but that’s where it ends. Louisiana and Houston are polar opposites when it comes to being accepting of foreigners. There’s things in which they relate but to I say Houston is Baton Rouge as a 7 million MSA Is as wrong as saying Houston is a smaller LA. In both cases there’s major similarities but in neither case are the similarities all around

For that particular reason, the half Louisiana and half LA thing is valid.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I wouldn’t really go to that extreme either. A huge part of Houston’s culture is how international and ethnically diverse it is. There isn’t any city in Louisiana that has that.

I could certainly see Houston being a combo of LA and Baton Rouge or Lafayette, but not simply a mega sized Baton Rouge or Lafayette.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t really go to that extreme either. A huge part of Houston’s culture is how international and ethnically diverse it is. There isn’t any city in Louisiana that has that.

I could certainly see Houston being a combo of LA and Baton Rouge or Lafayette, but not simply a mega sized Baton Rouge or Lafayette.
Not only do you not find it in Louisiana, but the foreigners that do exist aren’t treated the same in Louisiana either. Basically put, Houston embraces it while Louisiana tries to finds ways to blame their problems on them.

It’s not just about being diverse. A place like Colorado Springs doesnt have much diversity but they are generally more accepting of their foreigners.

Ironically, Lake Charles, LA is low key becoming somewhat of a melting pot for its size. Many Puerto Ricans, Filipino, Viets, and Mexicans are entering the area each for different reasons yet as an American citizen, you rarely notice they’re there and they stick with eachother. Versus Houston and LA where they’re a part of the overall community.

Like LA, Louisiana shares aspects with Houston but for either of these the stretch of being a smaller or larger version of the other is invalid imo.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Not only do you not find it in Louisiana, but the foreigners that do exist aren’t treated the same in Louisiana either. Basically put, Houston embraces it while Louisiana tries to finds ways to blame their problems on them.

It’s not just about being diverse. A place like Colorado Springs doesnt have much diversity but they are generally more accepting of their foreigners.

Ironically, Lake Charles, LA is low key becoming somewhat of a melting pot for its size. Many Puerto Ricans, Filipino, Viets, and Mexicans are entering the area each for different reasons yet as an American citizen, you rarely notice they’re there and they stick with eachother. Versus Houston and LA where they’re a part of the overall community.

Like LA, Louisiana shares aspects with Houston but for either of these the stretch of being a smaller or larger version of the other is invalid imo.
Agreed for the most part. I cant really comment on how foreigners are treated in Louisiana, but I completely agree on everything else.

I feel I have a somewhat unique perspective being from LA and living in Houston. LA can either have lots in common with Houston or literally nothing. It just depends on the part. Ive said before I think Houston has literally nothing in common with the LA area north of the 10 outside of Downtown. But if were looking between the 105 to the North, the 605 to the east, the 22 to the South, and the 405 to the west, Houston actually does resemble those areas pretty closely. Thats why Im much quicker to compare Houston to a huge Long Beach rather than a Small LA.

Incidentally I find that if one combines Irvine and Santa Ana, you pretty much get Dallas north of Loop 12.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
As someone who’s lived in Louisiana and Houston, the cultures aren’t very similar. They both have the general southern personalities ingrained but that’s where it ends. Louisiana and Houston are polar opposites when it comes to being accepting of foreigners. There’s things in which they relate but to I say Houston is Baton Rouge as a 7 million MSA Is as wrong as saying Houston is a smaller LA. In both cases there’s major similarities but in neither case are the similarities all around

For that particular reason, the half Louisiana and half LA thing is valid.
Quote:

Neither one of these makes sense because a 7 million metro Baton Rouge would be much more diverse than the current city. And Texas isn't accepting for immigrants by many people or how they may perceive Texas politics. New Orleans was and still is very accepting of immigrants culturally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.