Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,080 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I recently received an option of going to either Arizona or Texas for work. I currently work for Amazon. I am trying to see which would better for my family and I. My family is a blk family, consisting of myself, wife and child. We live in Massachusetts but are not strangers to the heat. She is from Haiti and I have family from all over the southern states. Temp would be a factor but not a major one, more so worried about location, cost, safety and housing/school. Any other misc info would be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 06:18 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Both are big states so important to know where in each state or if you have a choice. If a choice, I would say easily Houston is your better bet. Look at suburbs like The Woodlands or Sugar Land.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:40 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
It would be a good idea to know how reliable the water supply is for Arizona. The situation would be the opposite in Texas. Don't live where the neighborhood has been subject to flash floods.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:46 AM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Texas is a lot more diverse than Arizona.

Arizona has a lot more to do outdoors than Texas.

Those are the biggest differences.

Old 06-25-2021, 02:53 PM

2,855 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Which cities? That makes more difference in almost all cases than the state.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Both states are big (though everything's bigger in Texas - LOL) and both states have a lot of different types of terrain. You'll need to be more specific, both about where in either state, and in what your interests are as well.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:58 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Both have great areas, but where in Each State? Good to see you are leaving Mattapan, there's little opportunity there.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:18 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
I prefer Arizona because it combines the business sense of the South with the social libertarianism of the Northeast and West. Right to Work AND legal weed. It's also got much more to look at it with cacti, orange trees, mountains, palms trees, etc. Much of Texas looks the same as Kansas because the cold snaps kill a lot of tropical vegetation even though it's hot there.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonian731 View Post
Hey everyone. I recently received an option of going to either Arizona or Texas for work. I currently work for Amazon. I am trying to see which would better for my family and I. My family is a blk family, consisting of myself, wife and child. We live in Massachusetts but are not strangers to the heat. She is from Haiti and I have family from all over the southern states. Temp would be a factor but not a major one, more so worried about location, cost, safety and housing/school. Any other misc info would be great too.
I would think Texas would have a much, much larger selection of affordable areas that are fairly safe with good schools compared to Arizona.

Arizona is good for seniors, singles and university students. Texas is much better for families overall, much wider selection of anything you prefer.

Honestly, if I were in the same position I would prefer Texas over Arizona any day in regards to raising a family.

I lived in San Antonio and while it has some really run-down areas much of it is very, very family oriented and a nice single-family home in San Antonio rents for a similar price of a tiny apartment in a good part of Phoenix.

For example, you could likely have a nice place in a good part of San Antonio with excellent schools for the same price or even less than the most violent parts of Phoenix and Phoenix has became a very violent city.

Arizona has very low property tax, Texas has very high property tax much of which goes to the Texas schools.

I was in San Antonio and El Paso and overall Texas is a much, much better environment for raising a family in affordably than in metropolitan Phoenix.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:44 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I would think Texas would have a much, much larger selection of affordable areas that are fairly safe with good schools compared to Arizona.

Arizona is good for seniors, singles and university students. Texas is much better for families overall, much wider selection of anything you prefer.

Honestly, if I were in the same position I would prefer Texas over Arizona any day in regards to raising a family.

I lived in San Antonio and while it has some really run-down areas much of it is very, very family oriented and a nice single-family home in San Antonio rents for a similar price of a tiny apartment in a good part of Phoenix.

For example, you could likely have a nice place in a good part of San Antonio with excellent schools for the same price or even less than the most violent parts of Phoenix and Phoenix has became a very violent city.

Arizona has very low property tax, Texas has very high property tax much of which goes to the Texas schools.

I was in San Antonio and El Paso and overall Texas is a much, much better environment for raising a family in affordably than in metropolitan Phoenix.
IDK about pricing compared to Phoenix but there are definitely some nice areas in SA for an affordable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.