Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2024, 03:37 AM

6,408 posts, read 5,052,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Reno is farther west than Los Angeles.
Grande Prairie, AB is also west of Los Angeles.

Tangentially: Kenora, ON is west of Port Arthur, TX.

Nunavut extends from east of Maine to west of the entire state of Nevada (and Los Angeles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 08:57 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,615,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Similar to this

San Diego, CA to Crescent City, CA is 848 miles

York, ME to Hamer, SC is 863 miles
And similar to this: The shortest route from the western tip of Key West, FL to the FL/AL border at the Perdido River is 827 miles, all in the same state.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:49 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,615,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Logan, Ohio is a county seat but Logan, Ohio is not in Logan County, Ohio at all.
There are tons of these county seats that are not in the county bearing the same name in Iowa for some reason, including these:
Wapello
Des Moines
Cedar Rapids
Cedar Falls
Iowa City
Iowa Falls
Sioux City
Keokuk
Jefferson
Fort Madison
etc., etc.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:58 AM

1,358 posts, read 905,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Even Canton, Ohio along with the easternmost suburbs of Akron and Cleveland are farther east than Dungeness Beach, Georgia. Youngstown, Ohio is farther east than the entire state of Georgia and even Hilton Head Island, South Carolina despite the recommended routes by Google Maps to both places going through Pennsylvania.
It's a reason I've always had a hard time with the idea of Ohio being "Midwest". I understand the historical reasons for the term, but it's a long ways east, and not really in the middle of the country at all.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:39 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,874,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
It's a reason I've always had a hard time with the idea of Ohio being "Midwest". I understand the historical reasons for the term, but it's a long ways east, and not really in the middle of the country at all.
East means East Coast to 95% of Americans. Ohio gets lumped into the Midwest by default and/or no one else claims them.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:54 PM

6,408 posts, read 5,052,512 times
Quote:
I had a college roommate from Columbus who considered Ohio an "eastern" state and didn't feel Midwestern.

I kinda see it as part Midwestern, part Appalachian. Not "East Coast" or Northeast at all really

Old 05-09-2024, 05:58 PM

1,368 posts, read 896,534 times
Midwest doesn't mean "middle of the country" otherwise the true Midwestern states would be Montana, Colorado, the Dakotas, and Kansas. All but 3 Midwestern states are entirely in the eastern half of the country.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:37 PM

1,238 posts, read 952,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Midwest doesn't mean "middle of the country" otherwise the true Midwestern states would be Montana, Colorado, the Dakotas, and Kansas. All but 3 Midwestern states are entirely in the eastern half of the country.
All but 4 (ND, SD, NE, and KS)

Old 05-09-2024, 08:53 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,874,479 times
I consider the Mississippi as the dividing line. Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota are also western half to me. I also don’t think Dakotas and Midwest so much (maybe Great Plains, but otherwise I do tend to lump them with Montana and Wyoming more than anything).

Old 05-10-2024, 05:00 AM

15,467 posts, read 9,156,706 times
Quote:
As you say there are historical reasons for that. That being that Ohio is West of the original 13 colonies. It was originally part of The West. When the Rocky Mountain and Pacific Coast States were added, The Eastern Western states became known as the Midwest.

That part totally makes sense. The Midwest is between the East and the West so that is why it's called the Midwest. Okay it should probably be called the North Central, which a lot of foreigners call it, but whatever. When you understand the history behind it, it's easy to understand why it's called the Midwest.

Harder though to understand though is why West Virginia is considered part of the South. When it has very little geographical, historical, or cultural connection to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.