Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 12:55 PM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
And yet, with 16 years of the "benign neglect" regimen, my yard looks better than 90% of the chemical-addicted neighbors'.

Don't scalp it. Water sparingly. Never bag clippings. No synthetic fertilizers insecticides or herbicides. Occasional application of turkey-guano organic fertilizer. Occasional application of sulfur (we have slightly alkaline clay soil and chiggers). I weed using what I call my "millennial-astonisher" - a hoe.

Yes, I find grubworms when I dig. No issue, as my healthy lawn grass can tolerate a little munching. Whatever this "thatch" is that I'm supposed to be having to remove every year, I don't have it, because the organic material on my yard can degrade naturally, because the beneficial organisms in the soil haven't all been killed by constant repeated applications of insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers.

The chemical-addicted lawn care routine is like living your entire life on Red Bull, Doritos and beer, and then expecting that if something goes wrong, the cardiologists and oncologists will be able to fix it.
My lawn can handle the grubs munching, but it can't the armadillos digging them up to eat. You must not have armadillos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 02:24 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times
You might be able to find it online. The the shipping and cost might not be worth it. Every spring. I'm always getting this at Costco as it's a no-brainer.

Skipping grub control is like skipping crabgrass prevention. A very simple task that is worth every penny and time spent towards it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Dang - I don't have a Costco here in Walton land.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:45 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times
My Yorkie was going crazy this morning running around in her penned in area and on the deck with her nose up and sniffing. I then saw what she was smelling and it was an armadillo. I haven't seen any digging yet this spring. So I went to Lowes and paid $58 for a 28.7 pound bag of GrubEX. As soon as I got home I put it down for the incoming rain to wash it into the ground.

Old Today, 04:11 AM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times
Two most important things in annual lawn care:

1. Crabgrass prevention
2. Grub control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden