Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times

Advertisements

How will the new law in Fayetteville about wearing masks outside in public affect you and is it a good or bad law? I am not in favor of it to tell the truth and will probably not go to the city for anything as long as it is in effect. I do wear a mask for certain situations: grocery shopping most of the time and always in the doctors office whether required or not. But I don't want to be told I have to wear one. For those who can not wear them for some reason, are they going to have to revert to being forced to stay home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 05:25 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 days ago)

52,722 posts, read 48,035,881 times
Sadly, it's a bit much. I may not live up there, but I am planning to visit there next year. Still, this could be Anycity USA going too far with nannyhood, and I wouldn't want such rigidity in my neighborhood. They need to loosen it up and let each individual decide whether or not to wear a mask. And, it's also so dang hot outside. If you wear a mask and it's a hundred and plenty outside, then you won't be able to breathe.

Not a good idea.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:32 PM

231 posts, read 383,000 times
I am not a fan of the law. Really, it goes a bit far. If someone is truly afraid of coming into contact with someone who has the virus then they have every right to stay home and have others do their errands. The original purpose of the masks/self isolation/social distancing was to prevent a rapid spread and over run of the health care system. This simply hasn’t happened and the closing of “non-essential” health care has caused even more problems. The virus will spread and without a vaccine we have no way to stop it. None. Might as well let people get immune to it.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,136,648 times
Cities don't have the right to make laws like that.

Today, however, everybody in town seems to be wearing a mask. We are complying with it.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:44 PM

1,037 posts, read 437,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Cities don't have the right to make laws like that.
You mean no "legal" right?

Old 06-18-2020, 10:51 AM

291 posts, read 379,177 times
Coming to Fayetteville to visit my son & other family next week. Haven't seen them since last year! Bringing our masks and will gladly wear them when out in public in the city. Been doing so here in our city with some exceptions like when I take the kids to wide open outdoor spaces like berry patches & farm visits. There is really no instance in which you are close to others besides check in and we'll slip them on briefly at that point but don't wear them the entire time for this type of thing. Resturaunts we wear them until seated.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:50 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,417,221 times
Just thinking out loud here, but who is going to enforce this? (Little Rock mayor made the same law/rule/suggestion yesterday)

Old 06-18-2020, 06:18 PM

425 posts, read 510,743 times
At the city council meeting, Fayetteville's own City Attorney advised against the mask law saying.. "If you want to pass this, I can’t recommend it as your City Attorney".
This mask law is not enforceable and it's a burden on the public and small business owners.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:45 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,662,900 times
Just shop in a different town if its that big of a deal to you. Springdale doesnt have the mask law does it? Lowel? Bentonville? Rogers? Ft. Smith? West Fork? Farmington? Prairie Grove? Lincoln? Siloam Springs?

Get a grip or move to some hot spot that is more concerned with economic progress, even if it requires doing so by walking on corpses. Its a pandemic with covid19 cases rising rapidly in Washington and Benton Counties, sorry it isnt more convenient for you. Phone God directly and see if he wont stop it in its tracks.... We'd all appreciate it, if you have clout to do this.

There are things to pick a fight over, having to wear a mask to shop during a pandemic isnt really high on list of fights I want to pick. If you plan its hour or two once every couple or three weeks and just inside the stores, you can take it off outside or in your car if you feel the need. Big whoop. Sometimes the law and common sense are one in same. Not always, but this time it is. Lot worse for those that HAVE TO go to work every day. And fumble around with masks and gloves and sanitizer ALL DAY. It sucks, but suck worse to take disease home to your family.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:18 PM

425 posts, read 510,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Just shop in a different town if its that big of a deal to you. Springdale doesnt have the mask law does it? Lowel? Bentonville? Rogers? Ft. Smith? West Fork? Farmington? Prairie Grove? Lincoln? Siloam Springs?

Get a grip or move to some hot spot that is more concerned with economic progress, even if it requires doing so by walking on corpses. Its a pandemic with covid19 cases rising rapidly in Washington and Benton Counties, sorry it isnt more convenient for you. Phone God directly and see if he wont stop it in its tracks.... We'd all appreciate it, if you have clout to do this.

There are things to pick a fight over, having to wear a mask to shop during a pandemic isnt really high on list of fights I want to pick. If you plan its hour or two once every couple or three weeks and just inside the stores, you can take it off outside or in your car if you feel the need. Big whoop. Sometimes the law and common sense are one in same. Not always, but this time it is. Lot worse for those that HAVE TO go to work every day. And fumble around with masks and gloves and sanitizer ALL DAY. It sucks, but suck worse to take disease home to your family.
Unfortunately it's not that straight forward. The issue has become mostly political. The CDC and WHO have both flipped back and forth regarding "basic" face coverings and if they are effective. General face coverings will not prevent anyone from getting the virus, however some studies have shown they "may" contain some amount of water droplets from people who are infected. Also the face coverings should be protected and kept sterile, but we see people put them in their pockets, purses, console of their car, on the table while they eat and even sharing them. The general agreement among the health experts is to use an N95 grade mask or better, and the general population does not currently have access to them. I could go on... But as I said, the issue has turned political. And my point is proven every time I have this debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers