Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 AM

425 posts, read 506,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm a liberal Democrat who agrees with our GOP governor that it's up to us, it's all about self-discipline. If enough of us scrupulously wear masks & maintain social distance, we'll get through this & mitigate the devastation.
If not, that's on us.
I'm a social moderate and fiscal conservative. I'm a registered independent. I vote the issues, democrat or republican. I try hard to not be partisan, but in this political climate, it is tough to stay in the middle.

Since you admit you are a liberal democrat (and thank you for the honesty), I'm going to assume you watch CNN and MSNBC? I watch CNN, MSNBC and Foxnews. I get all the view points, then I do my own fact checking based on all the coverage. Basically, Foxnews carries the conservative view point and CNN / MSNBC carries the liberal view points. Do you ever watch Foxnews? If not, flip over there and get some other view points. You don't have to agree with them, but at least you will get the rebuttal to CNN and the others.

If you could see and weigh all sides, I think you might perk up a little and understand the sky is not falling as fast as the liberal networks would lead you to believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 11:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
I'm a social moderate and fiscal conservative. I'm a registered independent. I vote the issues, democrat or republican. I try hard to not be partisan, but in this political climate, it is tough to stay in the middle.

Since you admit you are a liberal democrat (and thank you for the honesty), I'm going to assume you watch CNN and MSNBC? I watch CNN, MSNBC and Foxnews. I get all the view points, then I do my own fact checking based on all the coverage. Basically, Foxnews carries the conservative view point and CNN / MSNBC carries the liberal view points. Do you ever watch Foxnews? If not, flip over there and get some other view points. You don't have to agree with them, but at least you will get the rebuttal to CNN and the others.

If you could see and weigh all sides, I think you might perk up a little and understand the sky is not falling as fast as the liberal networks would lead you to believe
I knew we had something in common. I too am a social moderate and fiscal conservative. I have to admit I am a registered Republican but could be an INd as well. I do not watch MSNBC: used to years ago but they have just swung too far. Normally we watch either FOX, CBS or PBS.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I knew we had something in common. I too am a social moderate and fiscal conservative. I have to admit I am a registered Republican but could be an INd as well. I do not watch MSNBC: used to years ago but they have just swung too far. Normally we watch either FOX, CBS or PBS.
I do more reading (Foxnews, CNN, ABC, USAtoday) than watch TV. I am a current events junkie. I pull up the headlines on the iphone about every 2-hours, just to make sure I am not missing anything. I also track election poll results every day. I was a registered independent when I lived in Georgia, mainly due to some primary rules they had years ago, and I think I registered the same way when I moved to AR. Most of my views align with the Grand Ol Party. I tend to vote with my wallet :0

Old 07-09-2020, 05:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I do more reading (Foxnews, CNN, ABC, USAtoday) than watch TV. I am a current events junkie. I pull up the headlines on the iphone about every 2-hours, just to make sure I am not missing anything. I also track election poll results every day. I was a registered independent when I lived in Georgia, mainly due to some primary rules they had years ago, and I think I registered the same way when I moved to AR. Most of my views align with the Grand Ol Party. I tend to vote with my wallet :0
Hubby also has his phone on to check what is going on in the world constantly. I am more the TV watcher and computer type for my news. As for registration; interesting We have always lived in a state where you have to be registered by party to vote in the primaries. That is until living here. Not only did you have to registered by party, you could not cross over when voting in the primaries. So I guess that is why we have always registered Rep. I am, in many ways a libertarian.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
Quote:

You and I have a lot in common. We even both lived in N. Georgia, right? You sure you're not my bro from another mo?

Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
You and I have a lot in common. We even both lived in N. Georgia, right? You sure you're not my bro from another mo?
Could be man! I grew up in Holly Springs GA (Canton). Then moved to Cartersville GA and lived there for many years. Have family in Rome GA, and Dad lives in Blueridge GA. Pretty all of North GA was my stomping grounds. Where did you live?

Old 07-09-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Could be man! I grew up in Holly Springs GA (Canton). Then moved to Cartersville GA and lived there for many years. Have family in Rome GA, and Dad lives in Blueridge GA. Pretty all of North GA was my stomping grounds. Where did you live?
Wow! I lived all over metro Atlanta. Did a stint in Buckhead, lived in Vinings, lived over on the Chattahoochee off of Akers Mill......but a large portion of my 20 years there was in Cherokee County. My folks have been there since '87. Their place is just up from Little River Landing off of Bells Ferry, and I lived at the Canton Mill Lofts when they first opened roughly 20 years back (Canton is a beautiful area). My brother and his clan live just south of Holly Springs off of 5 in Woodstock. My other brother has a house in Cartersville that he rents out now.

N. Georgia.....my stomping grounds, too! My buddy from Acworth and I used to sell meat from a truck WAY back in the day.....we'd set out at dawn and criss cross the entire region.....going DEEP into the mountains......man did we meet some characters! Even had a few guns pulled on us Bears, rattlesnakes in the road.....the whole nine yards. We were good at it, though. I had a buddy in Rome, too....used to go out there and party at his trailer.....again - LONG time ago . One of my grandmothers used to live in Cedartown. I could go on for a while.....but what a small world! Wouldn't it be funny if we had crossed paths at some point?

Old 07-10-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Wow! I lived all over metro Atlanta. Did a stint in Buckhead, lived in Vinings, lived over on the Chattahoochee off of Akers Mill......but a large portion of my 20 years there was in Cherokee County. My folks have been there since '87. Their place is just up from Little River Landing off of Bells Ferry, and I lived at the Canton Mill Lofts when they first opened roughly 20 years back (Canton is a beautiful area). My brother and his clan live just south of Holly Springs off of 5 in Woodstock. My other brother has a house in Cartersville that he rents out now.

N. Georgia.....my stomping grounds, too! My buddy from Acworth and I used to sell meat from a truck WAY back in the day.....we'd set out at dawn and criss cross the entire region.....going DEEP into the mountains......man did we meet some characters! Even had a few guns pulled on us Bears, rattlesnakes in the road.....the whole nine yards. We were good at it, though. I had a buddy in Rome, too....used to go out there and party at his trailer.....again - LONG time ago . One of my grandmothers used to live in Cedartown. I could go on for a while.....but what a small world! Wouldn't it be funny if we had crossed paths at some point?
Yeah I've been all over Cherokee County as well. Still have family in Canton, Hickory Flat and Woodstock, but most of my family are in the Cartersville, Cassville and Rome area. I've spent a lot of time over the years in the Little River Landing area. I practically grew up on Lake Allatoona, always had a boat. We would camp at Red Top mountain and Allatoona Landing, and would meet friends at Little River Marina. They had a pretty decent restaurant there if I remember right. Spent a lot of time in the Sweetwater creek area as well. Cedartown... Yep! I know the area very well! Have friends there.
I worked all over Atlanta with my job, Buckhead, Vinings, Dunwoody, Riverdale, Marietta, Acworth, Kennesaw, etc..
Did you ever get over to Centre Alabama, just outside Rome GA? We have a lake lot there, and that's where we go now a few times a year when we go back to see family.

My last house in Cartersville (I moved from there to Bella Vista) was a log cabin in the North part of Bartow County. Had a long gravel driveway. Some guys used to pull up in an old ratty truck with a freezer in the back of it trying to sell me frozen steaks and meat! Could have been you! I bought some Ribeye steaks and some chicken type fried steaks from them. Can't really say if they were good or not, don't remember. The guys always had a story about why they were selling the meat and why I would never get this deal again... etc. and I seemed to give in every time.

Some of the best people in the country live in North Georgia. We used to have a cabin in Ellijay GA, and like I said my Dad has a house in Blueridge GA. Folks up in those hills have there own way of life. The Appalachian culture is strong and it always felt like home. I've trout fished for many years on Rock Creek, just north of Ellijay, in the Whitepath and Cherry Log areas.

Coincidentally, Bella Vista, the areas just North of BV, the Table Rock area, Eureka Springs, and pretty much all of North West and North Eastern AR remind me of North GA. Some of the people and the cultures are the same, and that's part of the reason I love this area and feel at home.

Yeah man, we may have crossed paths before! If not, maybe when you finally make the move to BV!

Old 07-11-2020, 03:18 PM

33 posts, read 19,956 times
Quote:

Since you admit you are a liberal democrat (and thank you for the honesty), I'm going to assume you watch CNN and MSNBC? I watch CNN, MSNBC and Foxnews. I get all the view points, then I do my own fact checking based on all the coverage. Basically, Foxnews carries the conservative view point and CNN / MSNBC carries the liberal view points.
You don't get all viewpoints. You get their viewpoints. The show hosts are not reporters...just paid stenographers for either the libs or the gop. I recommend to search for independent news which is not corporate-owned.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
My last house in Cartersville (I moved from there to Bella Vista) was a log cabin in the North part of Bartow County. Had a long gravel driveway. Some guys used to pull up in an old ratty truck with a freezer in the back of it trying to sell me frozen steaks and meat! Could have been you! I bought some Ribeye steaks and some chicken type fried steaks from them. Can't really say if they were good or not, don't remember. The guys always had a story about why they were selling the meat and why I would never get this deal again... etc. and I seemed to give in every time.
Man....that's just the shtick we used to employ, too. How crazy. I did the pitch and if the customer bit I would then toss it to my buddy who would handle the actual transaction. The name of the company was Country Fed Meats. We worked for this zany guy who was a total cokehead. He was always zooming around, talking 6 miles a minute. Every night the entire team would all meet back at the warehouse and if your truck didn't make any sales you got the "freezer monster" zero drawn next to your names on the dry erase board. It was supposed to humiliate you into trying harder the next time out. Oh man......good times. As for the food itself....it was kind of a ripoff. It tasted ok, but the portions were skimpy.
Quote:
Did you ever get over to Centre Alabama, just outside Rome GA?
We used to go to Sand Rock, AL....climb up on those huge boulders at sunset and drink whiskey half the night. What a view from up there. The good Lord must've been watching over our silly bee-hinds, because stumbling around drunk in the dark on those things - one wrong step away from serious injury or death - was NOT the smartest thing I ever did. Wouldn't trade the memories, though. Ahhh....the beauty - and the scourge - of youth.
Quote:
I've spent a lot of time over the years in the Little River Landing area. I practically grew up on Lake Allatoona, always had a boat. We would camp at Red Top mountain and Allatoona Landing, and would meet friends at Little River Marina. They had a pretty decent restaurant there if I remember right.
My 2 younger brothers both worked at the Little River bait shop back in the late 80's and very early 90's. They worked for a guy named Ron who owned the joint. I think he ran a restaurant next door for a while, too....but can't remember for sure. This was way before the current setup down there that features the popular restaurant, which I believe is in the very same building as the bait shop was. It was the sticks out there back then. Did you know that the Netflix series "Ozark" used that exact spot for one of their filming locations? Again....how ironic. Here we in an Ozarks based forum talking about a tv show called Ozark that was filmed in our old stomping grounds in Georgia. That's just crazy.
Quote:
Coincidentally, Bella Vista, the areas just North of BV, the Table Rock area, Eureka Springs, and pretty much all of North West and North Eastern AR remind me of North GA.
I picked up on that immediately as well. The best thing about discovering Arkansas for me was that I never had clue about how rugged and beautiful the Ouachita's and Ozarks were until 5 years ago. We were living in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I took the wife on a spur of the moment overnighter to Hot Springs. Living in North Texas we had been starved for some nice scenery and when we came into Hot Springs we were freekin' floored. Never knew any of that was so close to where we lived in Texas. Soon after we ventured up to NWA and fell in love with that area, too. We've been coming back to AR every chance we get ever since. If you get bored you can go back in the archives and read my posts that detail those experiences.
Quote:
Yeah man, we may have crossed paths before! If not, maybe when you finally make the move to BV!
That would be beyond cool. We'll see what the good Lord has in store....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers