Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2024, 08:47 PM

6,371 posts, read 2,913,730 times

Advertisements

Will banning noncompete clauses result in higher wages and more entrepreneurship?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billcon...h=7454f79a188d

Noncompetes have never seemed fair to me. I've never been subject to one. Can't companies protect their intellectual property with nondiclosure agreements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 02:30 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times
it’s a very complex subject .

whether there is a non compete agreement or not , an employer can simply get a court order to keep key employees who can hurt the company away from customers for whatever time the court says is fair .

the employer can try to keep the customer to themselves for that period of time and retain them .

i had no noncompete agreement but this happened to me..

i wasn’t allowed to go near my customers for a few months .

technically any information in the company computer that s isnpassworded to get in is considered confidential company proprietary information and company property and that includes customers names you didn’t bring in to the company prior to working there .

so it doesn’t take a noncompete agreement to prevent you from working in your field if in sales

Old 04-29-2024, 07:28 AM

5,902 posts, read 6,974,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Noncompetes have never seemed fair to me.
I can see where non-compete docs serve a purpose, but only for key employees. It should not apply to fast-food workers (Jimmy Johns) or similar jobs.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:30 AM

6,371 posts, read 2,913,730 times
I can see the problem with research and development though. I work in chemistry and know that companies keep a lot of information about how chromatography columns and conductivity suppressors secret. If someone who knew how they are made moved to another company he could take that knowledge with him.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:26 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Will banning non-compete clauses result in higher wages and ...
Well, for those who get to keep/get the job in question. Rather like how an increase in MW can do.
Quote:
...and more entrepreneurship?
YES! The issue there is about risk to the investors in the NEW enterprise (vs the existing company).
And why this sort of person DOES warrant being under (some sort of) NC limitation.

Once Upon A Time ... non competes were used with and LIMITED to EXECUTIVE and similar HIGH competence employees.
That has changed and THAT is why the policies need to be changed - including how they are applied under STATE law.
Personally I'm free trade in this matter as well.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

3,242 posts, read 1,691,658 times
Law firms have for years used it to keep wages down for all kinds of employment in the legal industry. Financial industry not so much because they know the financial incentives drives productivity for their most productive workers. Non-competes heavily used in tech to suppress income on engineers that may want to move to another similar firm but can't due to wage offerings being shared.

Old Today, 06:47 PM

18,846 posts, read 8,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it’s a very complex subject .

whether there is a non compete agreement or not , an employer can simply get a court order to keep key employees who can hurt the company away from customers for whatever time the court says is fair .

the employer can try to keep the customer to themselves for that period of time and retain them .

i had no noncompete agreement but this happened to me..

i wasn’t allowed to go near my customers for a few months .

technically any information in the company computer that s isnpassworded to get in is considered confidential company proprietary information and company property and that includes customers names you didn’t bring in to the company prior to working there .

so it doesn’t take a noncompete agreement to prevent you from working in your field if in sales
It can be. Many of our local docs voluntarily signed a no compete with our hospital in exchange for lucrative profit sharing. If there wasn't a no compete, the investment would have never happened. I should mention this deal was all above board, arms length, approved and grandfathered by the medical powers that be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics