Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 PM

29 posts, read 116,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Lake Superior is the primary "weather maker" in Duluth. Here's how I see it having lived in the area for the past 27 years. In the winter being down by the lake can mean it's 5 or 10 degrees warmer than up over the hill and points away from the lake. In the summer being by the lake can mean it's 30 or 40 degrees cooler than up over the hill and points away from the lake. Yes, that's right....30 or 40 degrees cooler during summer days at times.

I used to work with a guy who always blew his horn about how wonderful it was to live in Lakeside on those winter days when I was at 20 below zero (I live about 25 miles inland from Lake Superior) and the temp at his house was a "balmy" 10 below. My response to him was a look of unbelief and the comment that either way we're both dressed to the hilt for frigid temps.....but in July when I leave Duluth and it's 50 degrees and I get home and it's 90....now there is a difference in temp that is meaningful. You can actually experience summer if you get away from Lake Superior....if you're close by you might as well say you go from spring to fall.
Yup, up over the hill today it's around 85° (Rice Lake Township). Hot and humid. Sunday we had an east wind off the lake. So it was a few degrees cooler . Just wait for the wind to change for a temperature change .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 PM

164 posts, read 334,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
I'll take temps a little colder in the winter for perfect weather in the summer. Just this May, it was 97 in the Cities and 50s in Duluth. How cool is that? Literally.
Actually there was a day in May where it was 90s almost everywhere in the state but 30s here. Or even just yesterday, I hear it was 90s throughout most of southern MN but probably didn't get over 55 here. That was really nice, but today was HOT!
Quote:
Especially down by the East End (roughly 18th Ave W/Mall Dr. to 31st Ave. W. Close to businesses and yet it's own community entirely. About 10 mins from downtown Duluth, so really close as well.
That's the west end, not the east end.
Quote:
But as far as the OP's question about areas to avoid, as far as I know parts of West Duluth and Central Hillside are not that great.
Any neighborhood is fine, but usually Central Hillside, Observation Hill, and the West End are put down; they still are quite safe though so I don't think there are areas to "avoid." West Duluth is just fine.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,158 times
I think the effect is even greater up in Grand Marais. Their average high in June is 63˚F compared to mid 70s inland.

I remember being in Duluth one afternoon... up the hill it was in the low 80s, and down by the lake it was in the mid 50s with dense fog.

And I also remember the day this May that it hit 97˚F in Minneapolis. We had a sweltering high of 60˚F that day here in Bemidji.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,718 times
Think of Lake Superion as a big bowl of water that is always at about 32degrees F. In the summer, if you get your hand close to the bowl, it will feel cooler. If you put a fan on it, it will be cooler even if you are not next to the bowl.
Theoretically, the reverse is true in the winter when the regular temerature gets below zero - the lake effect should warm up the air somewhat. Of course if the temp is below zero, you will likely be indoors where its warm or so covered in your snowmobile suit that you wont notice it anyway.
In the winter, the lake does do something - it brings more snow. If you live in Duluth, and the wind is off the lake during a storm, it will "pick up" moisture from the lake and dump it inland in the form of snow. Further, if you happen to live on Park Point, all the snow that is blowing in from the lake stops and dumps it all on the Point, making for HUGE snowdrifts. Kinda fun to take a drive throught the canyons of snow though after a good storm.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 AM

101 posts, read 219,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgr View Post
That's the west end, not the east end.
I guess I didn't clarify. It being a Duluth thread and all. I meant the East End of Superior. 18th Ave. E/Mall Dr. to 31st Ave. E in Superior.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM

15 posts, read 69,777 times
It's warm in the first half of the winter. It's so freeking cold in the 2nd half you'll just avoid it lol

Old 07-01-2009, 10:43 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Is it cold?

Today Its July 1st and it was 49 when i woke up..

Awful weather, Awful roads.
Awful mayor, awful city council
The City is so broke its a joke too, run by idiots and townies who still think its the Iron Range days

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
The City is so broke its a joke too, run by idiots and townies who still think its the Iron Range days
I don't think anyone is arguing that the city isn't broke, and I'm willing to bet that most city officials and Duluth citizens are well aware that we're not in the boom days of past. Duluth knows its' issues.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 PM

26 posts, read 80,827 times
Uh, if you want to enjoy Duluth I recommend staying as far away from the negative people like knke0204 as much as possible.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that the city isn't broke, and I'm willing to bet that most city officials and Duluth citizens are well aware that we're not in the boom days of past. Duluth knows its' issues.

It's alright to know the issues, but if you refuse to do anything about it it gets a little sad. They know their issues, but nothing is done.

Most people have the attitude of the guy who responded to my last post .. "Please not EVERYBODY, the roads were too busy"

Why wouldnt you want EVERYBODY as possible to come to a world event like Grandmas? It pumps straight cash into the local economy and everyone benefits from restaraunts, gas stations, shops, cafes, hotels, ect. Also, in Canal Park isnt there a tourism tax? So why not go after it all... That's the problem wiht this city. People know there are issues, and can solve them, but refuse to do so.

Like the fools on city council. They turn down a long grass ordinance that would have been a direct benefit for the city. It would have generated money, cut down on property abuse, gained property values, and maybe started a snowball of something that would lead to widespread home rennovations or upkeep. - As we all know there are enough homes in DUluth that should be razed to fill an entire city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth