Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:36 AM

6,718 posts, read 9,966,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
What's this supposed to mean, "gateways"? The website of the park-to-be seems to indicate the park would occupy all the space between Industrial Boulevard (oh, sorry, "Riverfront") and Beckley, between Woodall Rodgers/Singleton on the north and I-30 on the south. Now it may well be the case that the Corps of Engineers forbids permanent structures or earthmoving between the levees, but I don't think that would apply to gravel walking paths and park benches. There's basically nothing between Beckley and the levees on the west side, or between the parking lots and the jail, and the levees on the east side. You can't really make a "park" between the jail and the levee unless it's the world's longest skinniest park.

I really think these people who can't leave the river bottom alone ought to actually go down there and hang out, preferably on a Saturday night after about 10 pm. They'd learn something they need to learn.
The plan originally called for a 250 acre park between the levees. IDK why they’re still saying it’s that size through, when what’s actually being built is outside the levees. That’s what those pocket parks, “gateways”, or whatever they wanna call it is. I think they’re still using the 250 acre number so it can sound more substantial. Harold Simmons (or his family members) already gave 50 million dollars some years ago so it could be named in his honor. So, I’m assuming reducing the actual size of what’s called the park doesn’t sound as appealing or monumental? So, the untouched floodplain is basically boosting the actual park size. The largest gateway will only be 20 acres. I think the only reason why I have not totally written this off because of the The Loop Dallas. These gateways will be on that 50 mile trail loop around Dallas. It will connect to the most popular section of the Loop Dallas — the Katy Trail.

BTW I haven’t heard ppl call Riverfront, Industrial Blvd in years. Probably would confuse a lot of folks (transplants) with that one lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:18 AM

4,578 posts, read 2,715,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The plan originally called for a 250 acre park between the levees. IDK why they’re still saying it’s that size through, when what’s actually being built is outside the levees. That’s what those pocket parks, “gateways”, or whatever they wanna call it is. I think they’re still using the 250 acre number so it can sound more substantial. Harold Simmons (or his family members) already gave 50 million dollars some years ago so it could be named in his honor. So, I’m assuming reducing the actual size of what’s called the park doesn’t sound as appealing or monumental? So, the untouched floodplain is basically boosting the actual park size. The largest gateway will only be 20 acres. I think the only reason why I have not totally written this off because of the The Loop Dallas. These gateways will be on that 50 mile trail loop around Dallas. It will connect to the most popular section of the Loop Dallas — the Katy Trail.

BTW I haven’t heard ppl call Riverfront, Industrial Blvd in years. Probably would confuse a lot of folks (transplants) with that one lol.
So what you're saying is that they're going to create little bitty parks in the long skinny stretches between Beckley and the levee, and between the jail and the levee. Whoop-tee-doo.

And don't get me started on Eagle Ford vs. Singleton.

Old Today, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
So what you're saying is that they're going to create little bitty parks in the long skinny stretches between Beckley and the levee, and between the jail and the levee. Whoop-tee-doo.

And don't get me started on Eagle Ford vs. Singleton.
Yep. That was my initial reaction. But hey, at least they finally can put the idea of building anything within the levees to bed. I do think they should’ve considered some type of deck park or bridge type structure to span over the floodplain connecting both “gateways” together. That way a small portion of the floodplain can be used as some type of everyday park that doesn’t flood. It doesn’t have to be very wide. Think the Highline but double the width or maybe a little more. But that probably is too expensive.

The other gateways will have a bridge connecting them via the Ron Kirk Pedestrian Bridge.

Old Today, 04:56 PM

652 posts, read 1,425,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
There was a proposal in the 70s to dam it. But environmentalists said it would be nothing more than a cesspool. After a study, they were found to be right. The project was called “Town Lake”. So, the idea next idea was a chain of lakes or ponds. The only one that was built was the pond at Trammell Crow Park by the Sylvan Ave Bridge.

I think people don’t realize that the entire floodplain through the heart of Dallas is entirely man made. If you look at it closely, you can tell. Rivers aren’t naturally that straight. It’s built that way so floodwaters can move downstream faster. It resumes its normal course with bends and oxbows just south of the Santa Fe Trestle Trail Bridge.

The Trinity River floodplain (not including the pump stations that line the levees) is just one part of a flood control system that keeps Dallas protected from flooding. Grapevine Lake, Lewisville Lake, Lake Ray Roberts, etc. are flood control reservoirs operated by the US Army Corp (There are 6 of them in the Metroplex, 8 in the upper Trinity System). They help to hold back water and doesn’t allow for all of that water to rush down the Trinity River uncontrolled. Before the Trinity River was moved away from downtown in the 1920s/30s and controlled, the Trinity River use to expand until it was 2 miles wide. People think Houston has a problem with flooding, but Dallas would’ve been worse, if nothing was done. That’s if the city would’ve made it and not been wiped out by flooding. Right now, the entire central part of the city, including all of downtown would be underwater if that system ever failed. It would be some Katrina-like devastation.
I have heard about the fact that it was man made due to the reasons stated. Like a lot of people over the years, I just see so much potential there. For now, I guess we have to deal with the smaller parks. It’s something, but I can’t help but think that someday, the money will be found to turn that smaller area into a riverfront with businesses, restaurants and condo towers lining it. It probably won’t be in my lifetime though.

Old Today, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I have heard about the fact that it was man made due to the reasons stated. Like a lot of people over the years, I just see so much potential there. For now, I guess we have to deal with the smaller parks. It’s something, but I can’t help but think that someday, the money will be found to turn that smaller area into a riverfront with businesses, restaurants and condo towers lining it. It probably won’t be in my lifetime though.
I agree about the potential. They have rezoned the area where the Old Oak Farms dairy site is in Oak Cliff for high-rises and I believe West Dallas has long term plans for high-rises there too. The Riverfront Blvd area is suppose to be transforming into a walkable urban neighborhood, that's why the name was changed, but the roadway itself hasn't been completely redone. Now, the County is proposing to move and build a new $5 billion criminal courthouse and county jail complex. This is to redevelop the area. But I wonder where they're gonna put the replacement. IDK if other parts of town would want to be near a jail.

Even though the parks are small, I think it still can make a impact if it has a lot of amentias that will draw people.

Riverfront Blvd delays from the news in Feb 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dDbh794NE

Moving Lew Sterrett (Dallas Co Jail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENnjvJ3yHA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas